March
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Re: Alabama prepared to make big run at Gregg Marshall

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » March 30th, 2015, 2:21 pm

I am still not convinced of anything, especially the Alabama job, but if Marshall were to leave who do WSU fans think would be in the running for the WSU job?

Is there anyone you would really like to see?

Again I am not convinced of anything and think he is staying just curious to get a WSU fans opinion on who to go after.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Rollbird5 » March 30th, 2015, 2:36 pm

UNIFanSince1983 wrote:I am still not convinced of anything, especially the Alabama job, but if Marshall were to leave who do WSU fans think would be in the running for the WSU job?

Again I am not convinced of anything and think he is staying just curious to get a WSU fans opinion on who to go after.

Fred Van Vleet should be player/coach for a year!
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » March 30th, 2015, 3:08 pm

Rollbird5 wrote:
UNIFanSince1983 wrote:I am still not convinced of anything, especially the Alabama job, but if Marshall were to leave who do WSU fans think would be in the running for the WSU job?

Fred Van Vleet should be player/coach for a year!

Honestly, if the roster returns next year, that probably wouldn't end that poorly. But it isn't a great long-term solution.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby March » March 30th, 2015, 3:21 pm

Rick Barnes is probably going to Tennessee, not that they were ever in the picture.
March
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby Rollbird5 » March 30th, 2015, 3:25 pm

Cdizzle wrote:
Rollbird5 wrote:Fred Van Vleet should be player/coach for a year!

Honestly, if the roster returns next year, that probably wouldn't end that poorly. But it isn't a great long-term solution.

If the roster returns next year I think you or me could be coach and they'd still come in first
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » March 30th, 2015, 3:32 pm

Rollbird5 wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:
Rollbird5 wrote:Fred Van Vleet should be player/coach for a year!

If the roster returns next year I think you or me could be coach and they'd still come in first

I'm not so sure. WSU has some promising big-man potential, but someone has to scare that potential into production. I think Marshall or VanVleet are the most likely to get that done.

Losing Tekele Cotton is going to hurt more than anyone thinks. There is a reason I thought he has deserved 1st-Team All Valley the last 2 seasons.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » March 30th, 2015, 3:54 pm

Personally, I'd take Marshall's recommendation. Especially regarding Coach Jans. If Marshall gives Jans his thumbs up, you give Jans the job, make Heiar his AC, and keep chugging along.

If Jans doesn't have Marshall's complete recommendation, WSU should be able to almost take their pick of the midmajor coaches. Great roster for next year, good roster established for the next several years, clear ability to win/recruit at a high level, and a salary that can go up to at least $2.5 million for the right coach. We could offer a new coach $1-1.25 million and pick almost anyone.

Coach Moton at NCCU would be at the top of my list, personally.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdmanBB » March 30th, 2015, 5:52 pm

Only issue is when current/incoming players open their recruitment because Marshall is no longer their coach. Wherever he goes, he could potentially take some guys with him too. Whoever the new coach is will have to re-recruit everyone. I remember when Jank had to do that with Osiris.

I also don't think the next coach will get $1mil + to start. No wiggle room to incentivize for maintaining a successful program
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby SHOXMVC » March 30th, 2015, 6:06 pm

BirdmanBB wrote:Only issue is when current/incoming players open their recruitment because Marshall is no longer their coach. Wherever he goes, he could potentially take some guys with him too. Whoever the new coach is will have to re-recruit everyone. I remember when Jank had to do that with Osiris.

I also don't think the next coach will get $1mil + to start. No wiggle room to incentivize for maintaining a successful program

Marshall remains at 21st and Hillside.

Even if he did go, and Birdbrain put your extra special listening cap on, Marshall has this thing called class. What that means in this situation is he would not even almost take a WSU recruit with him. It's a concept, in time, you might catch on to.
SHOXMVC
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball