Alabama prepared to make big run at Gregg Marshall

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Alabama prepared to make big run at Gregg Marshall

Postby Statman » March 27th, 2015, 3:33 pm

Alabama can't touch the oil wells of TX...plus, the idea of playing "2nd Fiddle" in Tuscaloosa SPORT might not fit well within the Marshall psyche. It's not JUST about $$$, people. It's about building an empire that fits the coaching ego! Texas has far greater program balance from which to blossom.
Statman
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby DUShock » March 27th, 2015, 3:36 pm

Kyle wrote:Question for WSU fans:

What do you realistically think Marshall's salary ceiling is at WSU? $2.5MM? $3MM?

I know at UNI we are fairly confident $1MM is about the best we can do for coach Jake right now.
Low 3's.
DUShock
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Bmarq04 » March 27th, 2015, 4:48 pm

ShoxNAwe wrote:
BirdmanBB wrote:Every head coach dreams of winning a national championship. I wonder how much that will weigh on his mind as the offers start rolling in. Obviously he has gotten to a final 4 with WSU, but does he feel that he can win a national championship at WSU?

Marshall has stated several times on national shows, like Jim Rome, that he believes he can win a national title at WSU. He elaborated that he just needs a better cast of big men and to continue attracting the bigger, better, faster caliber of guards and forwards that are currently on the roster and in the pipeline.

Who's to say he cannot do that? Not I.

He's been within 7 minutes of playing for a national championship. If you are as confident as Marshall is, given your recent momentum, why would you think that can't be overcome?

The biggest thing holding him back right now might be conference affiliation.

The biggest thing I would question down the road, recruiting wise, at WSU is what happens when the power 5 schools start paying players.

Right now I think Gregg is putting together a hell of a program for top 100 recruits to dismiss. But, if the power 5 schools are paying players and the valley says no to it, can he still pull in those top 100 players?

The uncertainty there would make me consider leaving to be on the right side of the line when that stuff goes down.

* full disclosure I haven't followed the pay for players thing too closely so I don't know if it will be up to conferences or schools as to who pays their players.
Bmarq04
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Wufan » March 27th, 2015, 5:51 pm

What do you realistically think Marshall's salary ceiling is at WSU? $2.5MM? $3MM?

I know at UNI we are fairly confident $1MM is about the best we can do for coach Jake right now.

I think that with bonuses HCGM made over 2M each of the last three years. His contract has him at 1.85 base salary next year and a 150K bonus if he's still the HC at the end of April, so we are already at 2M for next year. I think realistically that Marshall can scratch the bottom of 3M with bonuses next season if he has another season similar to this one.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Kyle » March 27th, 2015, 7:30 pm

Is Gregg on a rolling 10 year deal similar to Jacobson?

IMO, this is one of the best ways to battle the big money offers. Texas and Bama aren't going to sign a HC to a contract longer than 5 years. $2MM x 10 years looks a lot better than $3MM x 5 years.

Also, what is Gregg's buyout? Will WSU get a nice chunk of change to hire a top notch replacement in the event Marshall leaves?
Kyle
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » March 27th, 2015, 7:36 pm

Kyle wrote:Is Gregg on a rolling 10 year deal similar to Jacobson?

IMO, this is one of the best ways to battle the big money offers. Texas and Bama aren't going to sign a HC to a contract longer than 5 years. $2MM x 10 years looks a lot better than $3MM x 5 years.

Also, what is Gregg's buyout? Will WSU get a nice chunk of change to hire a top notch replacement in the event Marshall leaves?

Gregg has a 7 year rolling deal. His buyout is a little on the low side.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby COUTEAU » March 27th, 2015, 9:17 pm

:offtopic:

Was wondering if there's any word of Cotton, being invited to the slam dunk contest next weekend?
COUTEAU
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby NeutralObserver » March 28th, 2015, 8:17 am

mvcfan2 wrote:Rumors that Texas has fired Rick Barnes.....that could be a problem for WSU.

Alabama vs Texas in a bidding war for Marshall (with Texas winning)

I agree that Texas is the real threat to Marshall jumping ship in Wichita. If they really want him they got him!
NeutralObserver
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby SHOXMVC » March 28th, 2015, 10:12 am

NeutralObserver wrote:
mvcfan2 wrote:Rumors that Texas has fired Rick Barnes.....that could be a problem for WSU.

Alabama vs Texas in a bidding war for Marshall (with Texas winning)

I agree that Texas is the real threat to Marshall jumping ship in Wichita. If they really want him they got him!

They will want him and no, he will not go. Nice try though.
SHOXMVC
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby rlh04d » March 28th, 2015, 10:15 am

Without a change in conference affiliation, or Koch simply deciding he won't let Marshall leave due to money, I can't see WSU going past $3 million.

At some point WSU's simply going to be tapped out on revenue generation, and that might already be the case. At which point it just depends on how many big money donors are dedicated to keeping him. IMO, Marshall is a walking billboard for the city of Wichita, who promotes the city every chance he gets, and regardless of school affiliation anyone with big money in Wichita should be looking to help keep him there.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball