Alabama prepared to make big run at Gregg Marshall

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Alabama prepared to make big run at Gregg Marshall

Postby CaliRdBrd » March 23rd, 2015, 3:12 pm

Singeril wrote:Bama is, and always will be, a football school. I don't think that this is the kind of school where Marshall wants to go.

All the more reason to consider the job as you can fly under the radar the first few years. That said, I hope he stays. We want to beat the Shockers when they're at their best:)
CaliRdBrd
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby HiddenDragon » March 23rd, 2015, 4:44 pm

If Marshall doesn't mind playing second fiddle to Nick Saban then he might take it. It's not like Alabama doesn't have a great basketball history, but football is so revered in this state that Marshall could win a national championship in basketball and it would be forgotten as soon as Bama spring football practice kicked in.

My gut feeling is that Marshall is either content as Wichita or he's waiting for a top ten basketball program opening. I wouldn't leave Wichita for Alabama regardless of the money Bama is offering. This state never has and never will care about basketball.
HiddenDragon
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby dean_siu » March 23rd, 2015, 5:24 pm

Throwing $3 million at Marshall seems crazy to me when they could likely get Chris Lowery for half that money. I know Alabama has money to blow....but just think how many blue chip recruits you could land with that $1.5 million in savings.
dean_siu
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby E-Villan » March 23rd, 2015, 5:27 pm

dean_siu wrote:Throwing $3 million at Marshall seems crazy to me when they could likely get Chris Lowery for half that money. I know Alabama has money to blow....but just think how many blue chip recruits you could land with that $1.5 million in savings.

True, but Lowery would certainly turn them down. He is holding out for the Duke opening.
E-Villan
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby rlh04d » March 23rd, 2015, 6:52 pm

Play Angry wrote:The Tide are setting themselves up for a PR embarrassment when he says no.

This. Alabama playing this in the press is very surprising, because I'm pretty confident Marshall's going to say no. It doesn't fit who he is. If he just wanted the money, and was willing to listen to offers while his team was still playing, he'd be at UCLA right now.

Which means Alabama is very publicly going to flame out on their #1 choice, and be hurt in other negotiations. Meanwhile WSU will get a recruiting bump from Marshall publicly turning them down.

Personally, I think Marshall's gone sooner rather than later. I could very easily see him taking over UNC in a few years, depending on the sanctions they end up receiving. And I wouldn't blame him one iota.

But Alabama? I'd be disappointed in him for that. That's not a destination job, and Marshall's not young enough that he's going to hop schools. He's sticking with Wichita until a job he'd rather retire at opens up, if one ever does.

That said, I do think "being the #1 choice" is an important factor for Marshall, and he absolutely has that here. And I could easily see Alabama throwing $4 million at him. Personally, I'd tell them that I want a contract that has salary matching to Saban or no deal.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby IndyTreeFan » March 23rd, 2015, 7:29 pm

If I was a Wichita fan, I would only get worried if Tom Crean leaves Indiana (or gets fired). That's a job I could see Marshall seriously flirting with. I really don't see him leaving the great gig he's got in Wichita to be second fiddle to anyone.
IndyTreeFan
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby rlh04d » March 23rd, 2015, 8:33 pm

IndyTreeFan wrote:If I was a Wichita fan, I would only get worried if Tom Crean leaves Indiana (or gets fired). That's a job I could see Marshall seriously flirting with. I really don't see him leaving the great gig he's got in Wichita to be second fiddle to anyone.

I'll only worry about Indiana if Marshall is unquestionably their first choice, such as he apparently is here.

If Indiana fired Crean and publicly flamed out on Brad Stevens, I think Marshall would turn them down out of spite. If he was their #1 choice, I'd expect him to take it. I don't think he'll accept being anyone's second choice.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby IndyTreeFan » March 23rd, 2015, 8:44 pm

rlh04d wrote:
IndyTreeFan wrote:If I was a Wichita fan, I would only get worried if Tom Crean leaves Indiana (or gets fired). That's a job I could see Marshall seriously flirting with. I really don't see him leaving the great gig he's got in Wichita to be second fiddle to anyone.

I'll only worry about Indiana if Marshall is unquestionably their first choice, such as he apparently is here.

If Indiana fired Crean and publicly flamed out on Brad Stevens, I think Marshall would turn them down out of spite. If he was their #1 choice, I'd expect him to take it. I don't think he'll accept being anyone's second choice.

Very true, nor should he be. I'm not convinced Brad Stevens would be IU's first choice, though. Regardless of the success he had at Butler, there would be a large number of IU fans who wouldn't be in favor of hiring the guy from the "little school." And he isn't tearing up the NBA, either. I could be wrong, of course.

I hope Marshall stays at WSU forever. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
IndyTreeFan
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby uniftw » March 24th, 2015, 6:00 am

IndyTreeFan wrote:
rlh04d wrote:

Very true, nor should he be. I'm not convinced Brad Stevens would be IU's first choice, though. Regardless of the success he had at Butler, there would be a large number of IU fans who wouldn't be in favor of hiring the guy from the "little school." And he isn't tearing up the NBA, either. I could be wrong, of course.

I hope Marshall stays at WSU forever. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
Brad may get the Celtics into the playoffs this year. While the Eastern Conference isn't great beyond the top 2-3, it would be a giant step in the right direction for him in Boston.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby E-Villan » March 24th, 2015, 10:20 am

IndyTreeFan wrote:
rlh04d wrote:

I agree. I know there is a vocal group of IU fans that want Stevens, but honestly, I think that is more from ignorance of who else is out there. I imagine a lot of Bloomington eyes got opened last Friday.

I think Stevens is a hell of a up and coming coach..but, I think Marshall is clearly superior at this point. Stevens became a golden boy, and rightfully so, by two back to back runs to the final game. Maybe it's just me, but it seemed there was as much luck, and planets aligning themselves, and some voodoo doll in New Orleans being involved as there was talent and coaching. Good teams, yes, but much more being in the right place at the right time. Marshall on the other hand has built a three year resume that is much more impressive IMO. He just didn't win a weak Horizon league and get favorable breaks in the tournament.

I don't see him going to Alabama, but Indiana..........possibly, but only as a first choice candidate. I really don't see Crean leaving though, especially for the Alabama job. I don't think he has the fortitude to get as down and dirty as his SEC counterparts, like Cal and Pearl.

Like you, I also hope he retires at Wichita.
E-Villan
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball