Alabama prepared to make big run at Gregg Marshall

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Alabama prepared to make big run at Gregg Marshall

Postby ahunte1 » March 24th, 2015, 11:35 am

Apparently Marshall was on the Jim Rome show and said, "I haven't spoke to Bama. If Alabama is interested in some crazy offer, we will listen. But it will take a lot."

Yikes. Crazy to be openly flirting back and forth with your team in the Sweet 16.
ahunte1
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby TheAsianSensation » March 24th, 2015, 12:15 pm

Remember, Auburn now has Bruce Pearl.

This just seems to me like a desperate program doing desperate things in response. Even if they fail, they need to show that they tried to get the big name too.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby tribecalledquest » March 24th, 2015, 1:59 pm

Has Brad Stevens made any indication he would leave for college again?

I love Indiana fans...yeah, you have a storied program, but the dude is coaching the BOSTON CELTICS.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » March 24th, 2015, 1:59 pm

TheAsianSensation wrote:Remember, Auburn now has Bruce Pearl.

This just seems to me like a desperate program doing desperate things in response. Even if they fail, they need to show that they tried to get the big name too.

I would love to see Gregg Marshall v. Bruce Pearl games twice a year.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ISUBirds89 » March 24th, 2015, 5:25 pm

IndyTreeFan wrote:If I was a Wichita fan, I would only get worried if Tom Crean leaves Indiana (or gets fired). That's a job I could see Marshall seriously flirting with. I really don't see him leaving the great gig he's got in Wichita to be second fiddle to anyone.

I'd be worried if my teams coach was attached to rumors that just start at doubling his pay and possibly going higher. Doesn't matter the sport, ties to the area or team, or anything.

Doubling or more his pay isn't just a few hundred thousand. That is life changing money for his family and children. Definitely worth the consideration.

Edit: After looking around the internet for a few mins. One poster that claims to be in the know at Alabama stated the offer will be in the area of $4 mill/year for 5 years.
Last edited by ISUBirds89 on March 24th, 2015, 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ISUBirds89
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby bleach » March 24th, 2015, 5:59 pm

ISUBirds89 wrote:
IndyTreeFan wrote:If I was a Wichita fan, I would only get worried if Tom Crean leaves Indiana (or gets fired). That's a job I could see Marshall seriously flirting with. I really don't see him leaving the great gig he's got in Wichita to be second fiddle to anyone.

I'd be worried if my teams coach was attached to rumors that just start at doubling his pay and possibly going higher. Doesn't matter the sport, ties to the area or team, or anything.

Doubling or more his pay isn't just a few hundred thousand. That is life changing money for his family and children. Definitely worth the consideration.

If 2 million a year hasn't changed your life, 4 million a year won't!
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Postby ISUBirds89 » March 24th, 2015, 6:01 pm

bleach wrote:
ISUBirds89 wrote:

If 2 million a year hasn't changed your life, 4 million a year won't!

Stretch that over 5 years. That's $10 million more. Nothing to scoff at.
ISUBirds89
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby COUTEAU » March 24th, 2015, 6:31 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:Has Brad Stevens made any indication he would leave for college again?

I love Indiana fans...yeah, you have a storied program, but the dude is coaching the BOSTON CELTICS.

True. Brad Stevens is in Boston. But, Coach Cal was at both The Nets and Sixers.
Patino, at one time coached in the NBA, with the Knicks and Celtics.
Lon Kruger, was in Atlanta and with The Knicks, as an assistant.
All three have had their best success, in the college ranks.
I think Stevens, is part of that same mold.
COUTEAU
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Aargh » March 24th, 2015, 7:35 pm

IMHO, the worst possible way tohave a chance to hire Marshall is to let it leak to the media that you're trying to hire Marshall.

Especially when his team is still playing.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Rambler63 » March 24th, 2015, 7:43 pm

Aargh wrote:IMHO, the worst possible way tohave a chance to hire Marshall is to let it leak to the media that you're trying to hire Marshall.

Especially when his team is still playing.

Yeah. You get the impression that someone in a plaid blazer, white belt and shoes-- chewing gum-- is making the offer. Stay classy, 'Bama.
Rambler63
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball