Alabama prepared to make big run at Gregg Marshall

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Alabama prepared to make big run at Gregg Marshall

Postby IndyTreeFan » March 25th, 2015, 1:13 pm

Turdfurgeson wrote:WSU is prepared to give Gregg whatever he needs to stay. $$$$$ will not be the reason he leaves, if he leaves. WSU has plenty of financial support from very wealthy donors to match any offers financially.

http://www.forbes.com/forbes-400/gallery/charles-koch

#5 no slouch either

Could we borrow the Koch brothers for a few years? :Cheers:
IndyTreeFan
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby ShoxNAwe » March 25th, 2015, 8:57 pm

shockem wrote:Marshall is no dummy. You can be happy but also open to discussions. If he made some sort of statement that he would never leave WSU, that could hurt his earning potential. He may never leave WSU, but he probably also wants to keep his compensation in check.

Bingo. Relax, people. This is the perfect way for Marshall to establish and test his market value. WSU AD Sexton can easily see this happening and can act accordingly with the boosters. Nothing wrong with talking to schools after every season. You would do the same thing if you were in this position.

If you pressure him like UCLA did, screw you. If you lowball him or disrespect him like NC State did, screw you. If you run your mouth in public while he's still coaching his team, screw you?

Despite what several of you want, Marshall will probably be back next year. You'll need to wait a while longer for the bar to be lowered so you can have a chance again.
ShoxNAwe
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BirdsEyeView » March 26th, 2015, 8:15 am

I don't post here much, but a couple of things...

1. Championz - lay off your hatred for ISUr fans. It gets old and I understand some fans are more annoying than others to you (and me), but stop attacking the entire fan base when it's really only a select few who post on message boards that bother you. A small sample does not reflect the entire fan base....and you, Championz, are the cause of the same perception from ISUr fans towards WSU fans (not all are bad, but your POV makes it appear worse about all WSU fans). A friendly rivalry is good, but a bitter hatred for one team is not healthy and positive for anybody, especially yourself.

2. All fans from the other 9 teams in the MVC should NOT want Marshall to leave. WSU being consistently good provides the league with a number of positive image enhancements...
- Visibility for the league and teams on ESPN, etc.
- Improved overall conference rankings vs other conferences in RPI
- Money for the conference in the NCAAs
- Recruiting help for players who want to play and beat a consistently ranked WSU for the other MVC teams
- ARCH MADNESS relevance nationally and money being brought in to STL for the tournament itself from WSU fans (especially without Creighton)
- Future TV deals for the conference outside of Comcast/Fox Sports Midwest

I am sure there are more, but those come to mind initially.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jwa123 » March 26th, 2015, 12:37 pm

mvcfan2 wrote:I don't post here much, but a couple of things...

1. Championz - lay off your hatred for ISUr fans. It gets old and I understand some fans are more annoying than others to you (and me), but stop attacking the entire fan base when it's really only a select few who post on message boards that bother you. A small sample does not reflect the entire fan base....and you, Championz, are the cause of the same perception from ISUr fans towards WSU fans (not all are bad, but your POV makes it appear worse about all WSU fans). A friendly rivalry is good, but a bitter hatred for one team is not healthy and positive for anybody, especially yourself.

2. All fans from the other 9 teams in the MVC should NOT want Marshall to leave. WSU being consistently good provides the league with a number of positive image enhancements...
- Recruiting help for players who want to play and beat a consistently ranked WSU for the other MVC teams
- ARCH MADNESS relevance nationally and money being brought in to STL for the tournament itself from WSU fans (especially without Creighton)

:+1:
jwa123
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby SeeRed » March 26th, 2015, 1:16 pm

jwa123 wrote:

:+1:

Great Post! :+1:

Nobody wants Marshall to leave. He is worth SO much to the Valley.
SeeRed
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » March 26th, 2015, 1:17 pm

The thing is I don't think people want Marshall to leave. Personally, I think it would be terrible for the league. Sure WSU could get another great one, but who knows how that would pan out. I don't want WSU to have to find out how that will turn out.

The problem is most WSU fans think there is no way he will ever leave. That is very shortsighted. Do I think he is going to Alabama? Heck no! There is no way he takes the Alabama job. He is not going to a school where he will not be close to the biggest draw in town like he is at Wichita.

Dan Patrick actually made mention about this on his show this morning. He said there was no way he thought Marshall, even though he has coached in the south before, would go to Alabama. He doesn't want to go from where he has everything and is the big dog to a school where football will always be king. He said there is no way you can take the Alabama job especially if the Indiana or Kentucky job were to open up. This all started with speculation that Coach Cal wants to go back to the NBA.

So no I do not think Marshall will take the Alabama job. I do not want him to leave WSU at all, but to think there isn't another job he would take is very shortsighted. Just like I never wait Jake to leave UNI, but I am not naive enough to think the wouldn't take another job at a bigger school. It will just take the right one, and I do not think Alabama is right for either coach to consider.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Championz » March 26th, 2015, 1:48 pm

Sorry but most Redbirds I see posting are anti-WSU, insecure d-bags. Just that's the way it is. Until I see a shift the other direction, I'll continue to think what I want. And I wasnt generalizing anybody. The specific poster ISUbirds69 is one of the biggest anti-WSU posters out there so don't even go there.
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Championz » March 26th, 2015, 1:52 pm

UNIFanSince1983 wrote:The problem is most WSU fans think there is no way he will ever leave. That is very shortsighted. Do I think he is going to Alabama? Heck no! There is no way he takes the Alabama job. He is not going to a school where he will not be close to the biggest draw in town like he is at Wichita.

Can you provide evidence to support this statement? Because it's patently false.

The thing WSU fans are pretty sure of, like you mentioned, is that Marshall won't go to Alabama. And I think that would go for any football school.

Marshall has said himself he wants to and is trying to emulate Gonzaga. If that's the case, it sounds like he's not too keen on leaving unless a Top 5 job opens up. But who knows? Would Mark Few leave Gonzaga for a Top 5 job?
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Play Angry » March 26th, 2015, 1:56 pm

UNIFanSince1983 wrote:The thing is I don't think people want Marshall to leave. Personally, I think it would be terrible for the league. Sure WSU could get another great one, but who knows how that would pan out. I don't want WSU to have to find out how that will turn out.

The problem is most WSU fans think there is no way he will ever leave. That is very shortsighted. Do I think he is going to Alabama? Heck no! There is no way he takes the Alabama job. He is not going to a school where he will not be close to the biggest draw in town like he is at Wichita.

Dan Patrick actually made mention about this on his show this morning. He said there was no way he thought Marshall, even though he has coached in the south before, would go to Alabama. He doesn't want to go from where he has everything and is the big dog to a school where football will always be king. He said there is no way you can take the Alabama job especially if the Indiana or Kentucky job were to open up. This all started with speculation that Coach Cal wants to go back to the NBA.

So no I do not think Marshall will take the Alabama job. I do not want him to leave WSU at all, but to think there isn't another job he would take is very shortsighted. Just like I never wait Jake to leave UNI, but I am not naive enough to think the wouldn't take another job at a bigger school. It will just take the right one, and I do not think Alabama is right for either coach to consider.

Respectfully, your premise is false. WSU fans recognize there are certain jobs which would be very difficult for Gregg to turn down. I do not see many, if any, Shocker fans saying that there is no way he would consider leaving if a school like Kentucky or UNC called. He has turned down UCLA and may turn down more blue bloods in the future- but there is no way to be certain.

Like you said though Alabama probably is not one of the jobs that tempts him seriously. But the assertion that WSU fans go around trumpeting "He will never ever ever ever ever consider another job so THERE end of story" is not accurate. If anything, many WSU fans err on the side of paranoia regarding a potential change.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » March 26th, 2015, 2:16 pm

I probably misinterpreted what I read from fans saying "Money isn't a big deal to him" or "His family loves Wichita"

After reading the posts again most of them are more dismissive to THIS job in particular instead of all jobs.

I apologize to WSU fans. I think we can both agree that Marshall at WSU is not only good for WSU, but for the league in general. We need to get more quality coaches in this league!
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball