Alabama prepared to make big run at Gregg Marshall

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Alabama prepared to make big run at Gregg Marshall

Postby Aargh » March 24th, 2015, 8:20 pm

Marshall is going nowhere. Indiana, Texas, Alabama - none of those are going to be on his radar. He's going to listen to any offers, but he puts a high value on "happy" and right now he's really, really happy.

He's got his best-ever recruiting class coming in. He's got 3 guys returning who have been with him through a F4, a S16, and SI's "game of the year" against Kentucky in last year's NCAA's. Can he expect anything more than that with any of those jobs? Would he, maybe, prefer competing at that level by doing it at WSU, where he's doing it without the advantages the blue blood schools have? If he didn't improve on a F4, a S16, and a round of 32 loss to the national runner-up in 3 consecutive years, would Indiana turn on him? The pressure would be there to do better at a "blue blood" school than he did at a "mid-major".

His son graduates from HS this year and WSU is high on his list of colleges he wants to attend. His daughter is just getting into HS and she's said she loves it here and loves her friends. She's also a very attractive young lady and is probably the coolest of the cool kids anywhere she goes. His kids like it here.

Coach K and Roy Williams are getting up in years. Those jobs concern me. It's my guess Marshall will eventually end up at one of those schools or at a "retirement" job like Larranaga took at Florida. Either that or he coaches at WSU a very long time.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Wufan » March 24th, 2015, 9:05 pm

ahunte1 wrote:Apparently Marshall was on the Jim Rome show and said, "I haven't spoke to Bama. If Alabama is interested in some crazy offer, we will listen. But it will take a lot."

Yikes. Crazy to be openly flirting back and forth with your team in the Sweet 16.

Gregg likes to be wooed.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby musiccitybulldog » March 25th, 2015, 4:33 am

The announcement and some of the reported reply to media seems unusual from a timing standpoint, with the Shockers still in the tourney.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ShoxNAwe » March 25th, 2015, 5:42 am

I think that one of the reasons Marshall might leave is conference profile. The Big South held him back. Does he feel the MVC holds him back from getting the Frank Kaminsky type that would complete their national championship roster?
ShoxNAwe
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Championz » March 25th, 2015, 11:34 am

ISUBirds89 wrote:
IndyTreeFan wrote:If I was a Wichita fan, I would only get worried if Tom Crean leaves Indiana (or gets fired). That's a job I could see Marshall seriously flirting with. I really don't see him leaving the great gig he's got in Wichita to be second fiddle to anyone.

I'd be worried if my teams coach was attached to rumors that just start at doubling his pay and possibly going higher. Doesn't matter the sport, ties to the area or team, or anything.

Doubling or more his pay isn't just a few hundred thousand. That is life changing money for his family and children. Definitely worth the consideration.

Edit: After looking around the internet for a few mins. One poster that claims to be in the know at Alabama stated the offer will be in the area of $4 mill/year for 5 years.

I think you are overvaluing the financial aspects and seriously underestimating a lot of other factors that Marshall considers important. The Alabama mindset of just throwing out large sums of money just screams a desperate move to get a high-end coach to run an also-ran basketball program.

I know as an Illinois State fan, you're praying the move happens. But I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment, something you know well as a Redbird fan.
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Postby shockem » March 25th, 2015, 11:40 am

Marshall is no dummy. You can be happy but also open to discussions. If he made some sort of statement that he would never leave WSU, that could hurt his earning potential. He may never leave WSU, but he probably also wants to keep his compensation in check.
shockem
All MVC
All MVC

Postby ISUBirds89 » March 25th, 2015, 12:06 pm

Championz wrote:
ISUBirds89 wrote:
IndyTreeFan wrote:If I was a Wichita fan, I would only get worried if Tom Crean leaves Indiana (or gets fired). That's a job I could see Marshall seriously flirting with. I really don't see him leaving the great gig he's got in Wichita to be second fiddle to anyone.

I'd be worried if my teams coach was attached to rumors that just start at doubling his pay and possibly going higher. Doesn't matter the sport, ties to the area or team, or anything.

Doubling or more his pay isn't just a few hundred thousand. That is life changing money for his family and children. Definitely worth the consideration.

Edit: After looking around the internet for a few mins. One poster that claims to be in the know at Alabama stated the offer will be in the area of $4 mill/year for 5 years.

I think you are overvaluing the financial aspects and seriously underestimating a lot of other factors that Marshall considers important. The Alabama mindset of just throwing out large sums of money just screams a desperate move to get a high-end coach to run an also-ran basketball program.

I know as an Illinois State fan, you're praying the move happens. But I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment, something you know well as a Redbird fan.

Marshall leaving would weaken the Valley. I would not be for that as long as ISU is in the MVC. You seem so insecure. Always attacking any poster that questions your beliefs.

It must suck to have your basketball team be the highlight of your life.
ISUBirds89
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby March » March 25th, 2015, 12:33 pm

ahunte1 wrote:Apparently Marshall was on the Jim Rome show and said, "I haven't spoke to Bama. If Alabama is interested in some crazy offer, we will listen. But it will take a lot."

Yikes. Crazy to be openly flirting back and forth with your team in the Sweet 16.

Hi.

This is what he said.

"I was a little shocked that that came out. I have no idea where that came from, but it’s really something I don’t have to deal with. Right now it’s just rumor and conjecture. I have not spoken to Alabama. I’m coaching my team, and that’s what I’m going to do, hopefully, for another couple of weeks. And if Alabama is still interested in talking to us with some type of crazy offer at that time, then we will certainly entertain that, but it’s going to take some type of crazy offer to get us to leave Wichita State."
March
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby Championz » March 25th, 2015, 12:53 pm

ISUBirds89 wrote:Marshall leaving would weaken the Valley. I would not be for that as long as ISU is in the MVC. You seem so insecure. Always attacking any poster that questions your beliefs.

It must suck to have your basketball team be the highlight of your life.

Judging by your posting habits at your home board, I would call this 100% false. You seem to let basketball impact your life so much to the fact where Marshall pretty much controls everything you post over there. Hypocrite much?

Don't get mad at me because the truth stings, Redbird fan.
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Turdfurgeson » March 25th, 2015, 12:54 pm

WSU is prepared to give Gregg whatever he needs to stay. $$$$$ will not be the reason he leaves, if he leaves. WSU has plenty of financial support from very wealthy donors to match any offers financially.

http://www.forbes.com/forbes-400/gallery/charles-koch

#5 no slouch either
Turdfurgeson
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball