Alabama prepared to make big run at Gregg Marshall

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Alabama prepared to make big run at Gregg Marshall

Postby glm38 » March 29th, 2015, 6:21 am

The rumors are flying around the internet that Marshall really is interested in the Texas job. Wow that would sure be a blow to WSU and to the conference.

I can see why he would be interested though. To me that job would be more appealing than a blueblood type job like NC or Duke. Better city to live in (IMO anyway) and a chance to build your own coaching legacy rather than trying to live up to another coaching legend. Lots of quality recruits in Texas too.

Hopefully these are just rumors. Or if they are true that Marshall is just using it for leverage to increase his salary WSU.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Wufan » March 29th, 2015, 6:33 am

Marshall was also really interested in the NC State job a few years ago...until he went down and interviewed.

This one feels different though. I also wan't worried until it came open.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » March 29th, 2015, 7:32 am

Jake turned down $1.9 Million from Texas A&M three years ago.

He's made it perfectly clear he's staying in Cedar Falls. They're building a new house. His boys love their schools here. He's getting a raise to the $1 Million range. I'd be absolutely stunned if he took a job.

He's also said over and over he wants to coach another 12 or so years and enjoy an early retirement.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » March 29th, 2015, 7:57 am

ShoxNAwe wrote:Why isn't Ben Jacobson on any of these lists?

Why does it matter?

I'd guess it's because Jake isn't a fit for the style coach that some programs are looking for. He also likely might not be floating his name out there/flirting behind closed doors like some other coaches.

I'm not sure.

I'm also not sure why it matters.

To me this posts reeks of some sort of jab/insecurity thrown at Jake/UNI with a "Our coach is getting "big time" looks and yours isn't....so ours is better and this is proof"

That type of attitude would both shock, and not shock me, from certain WSU fans
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Snaggletooth » March 29th, 2015, 8:00 am

glm38 wrote:The rumors are flying around the internet that Marshall really is interested in the Texas job. Wow that would sure be a blow to WSU and to the conference.

I can see why he would be interested though. To me that job would be more appealing than a blueblood type job like NC or Duke. Better city to live in (IMO anyway) and a chance to build your own coaching legacy rather than trying to live up to another coaching legend. Lots of quality recruits in Texas too.

Hopefully these are just rumors. Or if they are true that Marshall is just using it for leverage to increase his salary WSU.

Everybody is interested in the Texas job, the only thing is he is the hot name media wise so he getting thrown out in every media story. There are a list of 10 coach listed on the one of UT websites, most who have had just as much success and are younger than Marshall, with some better charisma.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » March 29th, 2015, 9:41 am

The two names listed on ESPN as being interested in the Texas job are Shaka Smart and Gregg Marshall. I am sure many others are too, but my guess would be Texas is mutually interested with both those guys and of course they are the hot names for big programs.

Texas is a great job. You may not think of it as a classic basketball job, but they have tons of support for the basketball program. Also the Longhorn Network is something no other school can offer. I would not blame anyone from being interested or leaving their current job for Texas. That said we will just have to see how this plays out. Hopefully Gregg is just using this to get a little more money out of boosters at WSU.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » March 29th, 2015, 9:42 am

Why are you asking us? It is the media putting these lists out.

Seems to me people aren't as convinced of his ability. Let's be honest he hasn't had quite the run that Smart or Marshall has had either.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » March 29th, 2015, 10:03 am

Also, it's worth noting that Marshall and Smart didn't have their names thrown out by national outlets but none of the other candidates did by "accident".

This didn't start yesterday for Marshall and Smart. The initial lure was cast by Texas WEEKS ago through back channels and it came back with a representative from both on the hook. Texas doesn't fire Barnes and throw names like Shaka and Gregg without more than a nibble from either/both. One may be more interested than the other, but by throwing both names out Texas is going to sort out how bad each wants it PDQ.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » March 29th, 2015, 7:23 pm

UNIFanSince1983 wrote:

Why are you asking us? It is the media putting these lists out.

Seems to me people aren't as convinced of his ability. Let's be honest he hasn't had quite the run that Smart or Marshall has had either.

I read a speculative blog today that in addition to the aforementioned coaches, the Lohghorns may also pursue, among others, Sean or Archie Miller, Tony Bennett, and the dark horse; Ben Jacobson.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » March 29th, 2015, 7:46 pm

Latest report is that Smart is Texas's #1 target. Question is if he turns them down would Marshall be interested knowing he wasn't the first choice?

Not sure how accurate that report is. If true though that certainly makes it more likely Marshall stays put regardless.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball