Alabama prepared to make big run at Gregg Marshall

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Alabama prepared to make big run at Gregg Marshall

Postby Wufan » March 29th, 2015, 7:56 pm

glm38 wrote:Latest report is that Smart is Texas's #1 target. Question is if he turns them down would Marshall be interested knowing he wasn't the first choice?

Not sure how accurate that report is. If true though that certainly makes it more likely Marshall stays put regardless.

This report from a Virginia network affiliate is the best news I've heard since Barnes was fired. Marshall almost certainly let Texas know he was interested prior to the Barnes firing. Hopefully, for whatever reason, he already told them no and they have moved on to Smart. Chances are that Smart was their number one choice, again for whatever reason, and Marshall is their #2. Hopefully Smart accepts the job and that will be that for this year.

Also he already told Bama he wasn't interested.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Kyle » March 29th, 2015, 8:09 pm

Wufan wrote:
UNIFanSince1983 wrote:
ShoxNAwe wrote:Why isn't Ben Jacobson on any of these lists?

Why are you asking us? It is the media putting these lists out.

Seems to me people aren't as convinced of his ability. Let's be honest he hasn't had quite the run that Smart or Marshall has had either.

I read a speculative blog today that in addition to the aforementioned coaches, the Lohghorns may also pursue, among others, Sean or Archie Miller, Tony Bennett, and the dark horse; Ben Jacobson.

So, you're saying Ben Jacobson is in fact on the "list"?

Will you please let your WSU friends know about this? Apparently they are quite concerned.
Kyle
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » March 29th, 2015, 8:39 pm

Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jwa123 » March 29th, 2015, 8:44 pm

I will not vote as I don't hate any of the coaches in the league. Marshall is OK. He has his style but one has to respect what he has accomplished at WSU. I hope he stays.

If forced to vote, I might choose Paul Lusk. I don't really dislike him but it seems he has taken the MSU program off of the tracks and I hate that. I could be wrong and hope that I am. The Valley needs other schools to step up as it's not a lot of fun to see matchups of 200+ rpi teams.
jwa123
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Redbird23 » March 30th, 2015, 9:09 am

Rumor is it that Gregg is gone
Ready for Arch Madness
Redbird23
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby uniftw » March 30th, 2015, 9:11 am

I haven't heard he's gone...but it sounds like he's meeting face to face with Bama's AD today.

Maybe that's just so he can go "F NO! WU SHOCK ALL F-ING DAY BABY! SUCK IT, TIDE! BAMA MONEY IS FAKE MONEY COMPARED TO KOCH MONEY!"
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ISUBirds89 » March 30th, 2015, 10:10 am

I've seen 2 rumors.

The first is a deal is in place and this is the meeting to seal the deal. Also that Darron Boatright (associate AD at Wichita) may be going too.

The second is that this is a last ditch effort by Bama.

Should be interesting either way.
ISUBirds89
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby LanceShock » March 30th, 2015, 11:13 am

I doubt that Marshall makes any final decision without a campus visit. I wouldn't get too concerned (or if you are a Redbird fan, start a happy dance) until he makes a trip to Tuscaloosa.
LanceShock
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Snaggletooth » March 30th, 2015, 11:30 am

ISUBirds89 wrote:I've seen 2 rumors.

The first is a deal is in place and this is the meeting to seal the deal. Also that Darron Boatright (associate AD at Wichita) may be going too.

I call BS - I have followed the Alabama stuff over the weekend and there was nobody saying a deal was in place, only conjecture was whether there would be a interview or not.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby isuredbirds92 » March 30th, 2015, 11:56 am

Snaggletooth wrote:
ISUBirds89 wrote:I've seen 2 rumors.

I call BS - I have followed the Alabama stuff over the weekend and there was nobody saying a deal was in place, only conjecture was whether there would be a interview or not.

You do realize that these are "rumors" and they could literally come from any source. Credible or not. So to say that this was the "only conjecture" is a bit of a stretch.
isuredbirds92
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball