Alabama prepared to make big run at Gregg Marshall

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Alabama prepared to make big run at Gregg Marshall

Postby rlh04d » March 31st, 2015, 4:33 pm

http://www.bizjournals.com/wichita/blog ... gregg.html

This matches what Gary Parrish from CBS said earlier today about Alabama's AD failing to impress Marshall.

No official word yet, but it looks like Wichita State will survive another year of coach search drama.

If Texas strikes out on Shaka Smart, the two richest college athletic departments will have been unable to flip "mid-major" coaches they were dead-set on. Who would have ever thought that would be the case 10 years ago?
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Kyle » March 31st, 2015, 5:34 pm

rlh04d wrote:http://www.bizjournals.com/wichita/blog/2015/03/report-alabama-now-eyeing-others-besides-gregg.html

This matches what Gary Parrish from CBS said earlier today about Alabama's AD failing to impress Marshall.

No official word yet, but it looks like Wichita State will survive another year of coach search drama.

If Texas strikes out on Shaka Smart, the two richest college athletic departments will have been unable to flip "mid-major" coaches they were dead-set on. Who would have ever thought that would be the case 10 years ago?

It is quite remarkable. And before Shaka and Gregg, the hottest mid-major coach turned down a host of high major offers before finally taking job with one of the best NBA franchises.

If this trend continues I don't think it will be long before we start seeing more programs paying Coach K type money. $7MM-$8MM might seem crazy right now, but it will be par for the course in about 5-7 years IMO.
Kyle
All MVC
All MVC

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » March 31st, 2015, 6:17 pm

unipanther99 wrote:Obsessed is a very strong word. But I would have to think it's one of the few jobs he might at least begin to consider.

Jeff Goodman just tweeted this:

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 3m3 minutes ago
Northern Iowa's Ben Jacobson told ESPN has signed a new 10-year deal. Has done a terrific job at UNI.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby hot nuts » March 31st, 2015, 6:21 pm

UNIFanSince1983 wrote:
unipanther99 wrote:Obsessed is a very strong word. But I would have to think it's one of the few jobs he might at least begin to consider.

Northern Iowa's Ben Jacobson told ESPN has signed a new 10-year deal. Has done a terrific job at UNI.

:Cheers: Great news! UNI absolutely hit the jackpot with Jacobson!
hot nuts
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BCPanther » March 31st, 2015, 6:41 pm

Local media reporting that Jake's deal starts at $1 Million with annual raise.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » March 31st, 2015, 7:16 pm

UNIFanSince1983 wrote:

Awesome news!

I wasn't sure if UNI could afford to go over $1 million. That's a tremendous raise for an excellent coach.

I really do feel a lot better about the future of the MVC lately. I just wish the conference leadership would change.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdmanBB » March 31st, 2015, 7:40 pm

I actually think conference leadership has done a pretty good job as of late. Loyola is seemingly a great replacement and the MVC/MWC challenge is back. There is also the possibility of adding UAB and another school to strengthen the conference.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » March 31st, 2015, 7:44 pm

BirdmanBB wrote:I actually think conference leadership has done a pretty good job as of late. Loyola is seemingly a great replacement and the MVC/MWC challenge is back. There is also the possibility of adding UAB and another school to strengthen the conference.

Loyola having one decent year with a KU transfer doesn't make them a great replacement. Loyola might become a great replacement, but that's going to require a paradigm shift with that program that starts with fan attendance. The best thing you can truly say about Loyola right now is that they aren't the anchor I expected them to be right now. If Loyola providing Chicago somehow increases the valley of the MVC product and gives us true TV revenue, I'll say they're a great add.

There's a possibility of adding tons of schools. Conference leadership doesn't get credit for the possibility of UAB joining. If UAB joins? Absolutely, I'll reevaluate them then. And it'll depend on who joins with them.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Kyle » March 31st, 2015, 9:52 pm

The UNI v Loyola game contained about 200 Loyola fans, 200 UNI fans, and 100 kids from Muldelein High School.
Kyle
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » April 1st, 2015, 5:22 am

WSU might still be rising and UNI is a consistent and occasionally great force. Illinois State is poised for a dance invite. Loyola is improving and UE and ISUb provide stability in the middle of the pack. Drake and Bradley have reasons for optimism. Only SIU and MSU appear to be sinking ships.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball