Alabama prepared to make big run at Gregg Marshall

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Alabama prepared to make big run at Gregg Marshall

Postby BCPanther » March 31st, 2015, 1:01 pm

Nothing against you 99, but I don't understand UNI fans obsession with Jake taking the Minnesota job.

He has no connection to it other than being a bit closer to his summer home/cabin. Minnesota has never been interested in a high character/academics first kind of guy and the only one they've had (Dan Monson) they couldn't run out of town fast enough. Lastly, Jake has talked over and over about being here for the next 12 years and UNI being 'his place'.

I just don't see it.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby unipanther99 » March 31st, 2015, 1:07 pm

Obsessed is a very strong word. But I would have to think it's one of the few jobs he might at least begin to consider.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby rlh04d » March 31st, 2015, 2:54 pm

jwa123 wrote:
rlh04d wrote:
BirdmanBB wrote:Only issue is when current/incoming players open their recruitment because Marshall is no longer their coach. Wherever he goes, he could potentially take some guys with him too. Whoever the new coach is will have to re-recruit everyone. I remember when Jank had to do that with Osiris.

I also don't think the next coach will get $1mil + to start. No wiggle room to incentivize for maintaining a successful program

Is it just me or have Redbird fans been going on the offensive as of late over the possibility that the coach that has owned them might go away?

Not me as I would rather Marshall stays than leaves.

I know you despise anything and everything that pertains to ISUr and you base this upon the fan base that posts on forums. I would agree we have our share that pull at the thought of credibility. However, if you would take a moment and look impartially at WSU posters you would not see any difference. We both have our share of hateful people and dingbats. You judge an entire fan base because of things written on a fan forum by people who hide behind a screen name.

Posters on forums do not represent an entire fan base. As an example, should I judge the entire WSU fan base by ChampionZ and his brethren or by the WSU fans I met and interacted with in St Louis? I will choose the latter. They were all courteous and willing to interact on a friendly manner. These folks are the majority of the WSU fans and likewise the majority of the fans at ISUr are good people.

I was actually just mocking Birdman's post :) That was almost word for word what he said in another thread.

I don't like the IlSt fans that post on the Redbirds forum, but that's mostly because there are a few clear douchebags who mock injured players and hope for further injuries, and very little, if any, moderation, which makes the forum itself complicit in douchebaggery. I have no problem with the IlSt fanbase as a whole. I would never want to just be judged based on a number of the WSU fans.
Last edited by rlh04d on March 31st, 2015, 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » March 31st, 2015, 2:58 pm

BirdmanBB wrote:So repeating something I said on another thread and rearranging the words as a personal attack on me isn't going on the offensive?

Repeating something to mock you isn't a personal attack. If I was personally attacking you, I assure you, you would know it.

I'm just laughing at your ridiculous passive-aggressive shots.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » March 31st, 2015, 4:33 pm

http://www.bizjournals.com/wichita/blog ... gregg.html

This matches what Gary Parrish from CBS said earlier today about Alabama's AD failing to impress Marshall.

No official word yet, but it looks like Wichita State will survive another year of coach search drama.

If Texas strikes out on Shaka Smart, the two richest college athletic departments will have been unable to flip "mid-major" coaches they were dead-set on. Who would have ever thought that would be the case 10 years ago?
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Kyle » March 31st, 2015, 5:34 pm

rlh04d wrote:http://www.bizjournals.com/wichita/blog/2015/03/report-alabama-now-eyeing-others-besides-gregg.html

This matches what Gary Parrish from CBS said earlier today about Alabama's AD failing to impress Marshall.

No official word yet, but it looks like Wichita State will survive another year of coach search drama.

If Texas strikes out on Shaka Smart, the two richest college athletic departments will have been unable to flip "mid-major" coaches they were dead-set on. Who would have ever thought that would be the case 10 years ago?

It is quite remarkable. And before Shaka and Gregg, the hottest mid-major coach turned down a host of high major offers before finally taking job with one of the best NBA franchises.

If this trend continues I don't think it will be long before we start seeing more programs paying Coach K type money. $7MM-$8MM might seem crazy right now, but it will be par for the course in about 5-7 years IMO.
Kyle
All MVC
All MVC

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » March 31st, 2015, 6:17 pm

unipanther99 wrote:Obsessed is a very strong word. But I would have to think it's one of the few jobs he might at least begin to consider.

Jeff Goodman just tweeted this:

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 3m3 minutes ago
Northern Iowa's Ben Jacobson told ESPN has signed a new 10-year deal. Has done a terrific job at UNI.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby hot nuts » March 31st, 2015, 6:21 pm

UNIFanSince1983 wrote:
unipanther99 wrote:Obsessed is a very strong word. But I would have to think it's one of the few jobs he might at least begin to consider.

Northern Iowa's Ben Jacobson told ESPN has signed a new 10-year deal. Has done a terrific job at UNI.

:Cheers: Great news! UNI absolutely hit the jackpot with Jacobson!
hot nuts
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BCPanther » March 31st, 2015, 6:41 pm

Local media reporting that Jake's deal starts at $1 Million with annual raise.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » March 31st, 2015, 7:16 pm

UNIFanSince1983 wrote:

Awesome news!

I wasn't sure if UNI could afford to go over $1 million. That's a tremendous raise for an excellent coach.

I really do feel a lot better about the future of the MVC lately. I just wish the conference leadership would change.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball