Bradley Hires Brian Wardle

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Bradley Hires Brian Wardle

Postby squirrel » March 30th, 2015, 4:26 pm

I think most Bradley fans are reserved in their excitement because we've seen enthusiasm doesn't guarantee results.

We have excitement fatigue. We're jaded by almost 20 years of excitement letting us down.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby tribecalledquest » March 30th, 2015, 8:03 pm

rlh04d wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:Did Wardle get "lucky" by getting Alec Brown and Sykes? Yeah, I guess.

But coaches need luck. Gregg Marshall got "lucky" 'getting Ron Baker and Fred Van Vleet as well. Ben Jacobsen got "lucky" getting Seth Tuttle. That's part of the deal.

Brian Wardle isn't a big time yeller and screamer on the sideline. I'm not sure where this comes from. He's not Geno, but very few are.

Who knows if it will work but on paper it's a solid hire.

I think you're responding to me here? Which is odd, because I think Wardle's a great hire.

But I do think that's a bit different. Marshall has 17 years of head coaching experience, 11 NCAA tournament trips, and only one season in his career under .500. Point is, he won without FVV/Baker.

Ben Jacobson has nine years of head coaching experience, zero seasons under .500, and had back-to-back NCAA tournaments with a Sweet 16 before Tuttle was ever on the roster. He won without Tuttle.

Wardle's different. He has five years of head coaching experience, zero NCAA tournament appearances, and his only two seasons with less than 15 losses came with those two players as upper-classmen. He hasn't won without them.

I think Wardle's a slam-dunk hire, because you simply don't find many young, talented coaches who have stuck around at a smaller program long enough to win with multiple "generations" of players. But that is still a question mark, and one that doesn't exist with Marshall/Jacobson, who are proven beyond that. But Bradley's not going to find a coach with a resume like Marshall/Jacobson, so that's rather irrelevant.

I didn't mean to sound like I was going at you. I just think a fair amount of coaching is luck. Not all of it of course. At least as it relates to recruiting. That was my point.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » March 31st, 2015, 3:06 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:I didn't mean to sound like I was going at you. I just think a fair amount of coaching is luck. Not all of it of course. At least as it relates to recruiting. That was my point.

No worries, definitely didn't think you were going at me. Just thought you misunderstood my stance on Wardle.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » March 31st, 2015, 5:39 pm

rlh04d wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:I didn't mean to sound like I was going at you. I just think a fair amount of coaching is luck. Not all of it of course. At least as it relates to recruiting. That was my point.

No worries, definitely didn't think you were going at me. Just thought you misunderstood my stance on Wardle.

Im excited about Wardle. He checks all the boxes for sure. He will bring an "attitude" that Geno Ford didn't. That's not necessarily good or bad, just different.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » March 31st, 2015, 7:22 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
rlh04d wrote:

Im excited about Wardle. He checks all the boxes for sure. He will bring an "attitude" that Geno Ford didn't. That's not necessarily good or bad, just different.

I've been saying for years Bradley taking off is the thing the Valley truly needs to go to the next level. It's the only program other than WSU I can truly see competing at a high level for a long time without a tremendous amount of luck, like finding a Ben Jacobson. It's the only other school I can see paying the right coach $2 million to stay.

Please, please let Wardle be the guy.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PapaBear » April 1st, 2015, 10:49 am

rlh04d wrote: It's the only other school I can see paying the right coach $2 million to stay.

Well---BUB just paid 1.2 million for a coach to go away---so why not pony up a couple mil. for Wardle if he gets BU out of the Thursday night slump---after all--it's only money :roll:
Bear down
PapaBear
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby rlh04d » April 1st, 2015, 2:43 pm

PapaBear wrote:
rlh04d wrote: It's the only other school I can see paying the right coach $2 million to stay.

Well---BUB just paid 1.2 million for a coach to go away---so why not pony up a couple mil. for Wardle if he gets BU out of the Thursday night slump---after all--it's only money :roll:

If that's what you got out of my comment, I suggest you try again.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball