Bradley Hires Brian Wardle

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Bradley Hires Brian Wardle

Postby Wufan » March 28th, 2015, 12:06 pm

BCPanther wrote:Zero Tournament appearances while having by far and away the best talent and best player in the league in Brown and then Sykes.

Color me skeptical.

And he's an ass on the sideline.

Surely Marshall will keep his title of most hated coach? Right?
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby pafan » March 28th, 2015, 12:18 pm

I thought Muller had already taken that mantle.
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby rlh04d » March 28th, 2015, 12:36 pm

pafan wrote:I thought Muller had already taken that mantle.

Definitely took the mantle of most T's.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Mikovio » March 28th, 2015, 1:11 pm

Another big difference between Ford and Wardle is that the Horizon is stronger during Wardle's time than the MAC was during Ford's time. So Wardle was winning in a tougher league only about a half step behind the MVC.

Horizon RPI finishes w/ Wardle
2015 16
2014 14
2013 12
2012 14
2011 11
Avgt 13.4

MAC RPI finishes w/ Ford
2011 20
2010 16
2009 21
Avg 19.0

I love hearing this reactionary crap about how Wardle is too "Ford like." Oh the last coach had a great resume and failed; better not hire another coach with head coaching experience, COY awards and a lot of wins! We've learned our lesson with great resumes! I'm glad Reynolds didn't buy into that. True he stumbled in the conference tournament and didn't make the NCAAs. Of course if he didn't he probably would be going higher than Bradley.

Probably the biggest positive for Wardle is his recruiting ties, especially to the Fire from which Josh Cunningham and Xzavier Taylor hail. If he can keep them (and Thomas) from bolting that would convince me right now Reynolds made the right decision.
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

Postby PapaBear » March 28th, 2015, 7:29 pm

BCPanther wrote:Zero Tournament appearances while having by far and away the best talent and best player in the league in Brown and then Sykes.

Color me skeptical.

And he's an ass on the sideline.

I am also skeptical---He was an ass to some of his players 2 years ago too and got reprimanded --but BU was way overdue for a new head gargoyle--and maybe he can at least get them out of the MVC basement in a year or two and get them back to being competitive.
Bear down
PapaBear
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby ptownbraves » March 29th, 2015, 8:36 am

Mikovio wrote:Another big difference between Ford and Wardle is that the Horizon is stronger during Wardle's time than the MAC was during Ford's time. So Wardle was winning in a tougher league only about a half step behind the MVC.

Horizon RPI finishes w/ Wardle
2015 16
2014 14
2013 12
2012 14
2011 11
Avgt 13.4

MAC RPI finishes w/ Ford
2011 20
2010 16
2009 21
Avg 19.0

I love hearing this reactionary crap about how Wardle is too "Ford like." Oh the last coach had a great resume and failed; better not hire another coach with head coaching experience, COY awards and a lot of wins! We've learned our lesson with great resumes! I'm glad Reynolds didn't buy into that. True he stumbled in the conference tournament and didn't make the NCAAs. Of course if he didn't he probably would be going higher than Bradley.

Probably the biggest positive for Wardle is his recruiting ties, especially to the Fire from which Josh Cunningham and Xzavier Taylor hail. If he can keep them (and Thomas) from bolting that would convince me right now Reynolds made the right decision.

I think the fanbase is jaded and isn't going to get overly excited about anyone until the wins start coming. We've had close to a decade of craptastic basketball, lost a lot of fan support, and all with BU spending near the top in the Valley on men's basketball. I think most Bradley fans would agree that this is a solid hire. Many felt Geno was a solid hire, and you can't deny they have similar backgrounds. It doesn't mean Wardle isn't the right guy, just that people are cautiously optimistic right now.
ptownbraves
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Redbird Recon » March 29th, 2015, 11:05 am

Watched the Phoenix at Redbird Arena a few weeks ago. They were athletic but struggled against the zone due to a lack of shooters.
Twitter: @RedbirdRecon
Blog: redbirdrecon.blogspot.com
Redbird Recon
All MVC
All MVC

Postby squirrel » March 30th, 2015, 7:33 am

Looking at efficiency numbers from his time at Green Bay, his team's defensive efficiency improved every single year, while offense didn't really trend in any particular direction.

However, I think the most encouraging this is though last year was a peak year in terms of his roster and a comfortable adjusted efficiency margin of +8.3, this year while defense made a dramatic improvement and offense being a challenge, the team kept a margin of +8.2.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » March 30th, 2015, 1:46 pm

Did Wardle get "lucky" by getting Alec Brown and Sykes? Yeah, I guess.

But coaches need luck. Gregg Marshall got "lucky" 'getting Ron Baker and Fred Van Vleet as well. Ben Jacobsen got "lucky" getting Seth Tuttle. That's part of the deal.

Brian Wardle isn't a big time yeller and screamer on the sideline. I'm not sure where this comes from. He's not Geno, but very few are.

Who knows if it will work but on paper it's a solid hire.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Play Angry » March 30th, 2015, 3:44 pm

I am a little surprised more people aren't over the top positive about this hire. Wardle was literally the absolute best candidate I thought they had any shot at whatsoever when the Geno news broke, and they nabbed him within days.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball