I hear a laugh coming from Las Cruces.....

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby dean_siu » March 30th, 2015, 5:39 pm

Thats right, Mario Moccia is laughing his ass off right now as he has fully accomplished his goal of destroying SIU athletics even though he's no longer employed by the university.

Before he was named AD at SIU, basketball was king in Carbondale while football, softball, and baseball all had runs of success. Now baseball is the worst team in the history of MVC. Softball has become an average program at best. And football can no longer make the FCS playoffs despite the increase in number of teams being selected.

However, this all pales in comparison to what he was able to accomplish with the mens basketball program. He took the strongest program in the MVC, one that was consistently a top 25 team, and has made it the worst NCAA D-1 program in the country.

He ran off one of the top young coaches in the game and replaced him with a travel agent who's biggest skill set is successfully throwing temper tantrums. Under his regime, the program has consistently performed worse each year, schedules have been downgraded annually to measures work than ISU's under Yank, and players can't relate to him.

This final characteristic has shown over the years, but has really been apparent this offseason as 5 players have decided to transfer already with rumors that a few more may be forthcoming. I'm not sure if its an NCAA record for basketball transfers within a year yet, but I'm guessing the bar will be set so high before this spring is done that no program will ever eclipse it.

None of this would have ever happened if Mario wouldn't have been AD. He set a goal of destroying every successful program at SIU and left for Las Cruces just before his goal was accomplished. After today, he can now sit back, have a beer, and smile at the work he accomplished.

No other AD in the history of the NCAA has ever been as successful in destroying so many programs in such a short amount of time. It's an amazing skill this man has and I can't wait to see where New Mexico State programs are in a few years.
dean_siu
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: I hear a laugh coming from Las Cruces.....

Postby isumvc1 » March 30th, 2015, 6:09 pm

dean_siu wrote:Thats right, Mario Moccia is laughing his ass off right now as he has fully accomplished his goal of destroying SIU athletics even though he's no longer employed by the university.

Before he was named AD at SIU, basketball was king in Carbondale while football, softball, and baseball all had runs of success. Now baseball is the worst team in the history of MVC. Softball has become an average program at best. And football can no longer make the FCS playoffs despite the increase in number of teams being selected.

However, this all pales in comparison to what he was able to accomplish with the mens basketball program. He took the strongest program in the MVC, one that was consistently a top 25 team, and has made it the worst NCAA D-1 program in the country.

He ran off one of the top young coaches in the game and replaced him with a travel agent who's biggest skill set is successfully throwing temper tantrums. Under his regime, the program has consistently performed worse each year, schedules have been downgraded annually to measures work than ISU's under Yank, and players can't relate to him.

This final characteristic has shown over the years, but has really been apparent this offseason as 5 players have decided to transfer already with rumors that a few more may be forthcoming. I'm not sure if its an NCAA record for basketball transfers within a year yet, but I'm guessing the bar will be set so high before this spring is done that no program will ever eclipse it.

None of this would have ever happened if Mario wouldn't have been AD. He set a goal of destroying every successful program at SIU and left for Las Cruces just before his goal was accomplished. After today, he can now sit back, have a beer, and smile at the work he accomplished.

No other AD in the history of the NCAA has ever been as successful in destroying so many programs in such a short amount of time. It's an amazing skill this man has and I can't wait to see where New Mexico State programs are in a few years.

Sorry, but Indiana State fans will disagree with this statement. Before Ron Prettyman became our AD, the previous AD, Annie Meyers I believe, came within a whisker of having the INS football program eliminated and the entire school dropping to D-II or D-III or NAIA, it was bad. Way worse than what your previous AD did.
isumvc1
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » March 30th, 2015, 6:46 pm

isumvc1 wrote:Sorry, but Indiana State fans will disagree with this statement. Before Ron Prettyman became our AD, the previous AD, Annie Meyers I believe, came within a whisker of having the INS football program eliminated and the entire school dropping to D-II or D-III or NAIA, it was bad. Way worse than what your previous AD did.

You actually read that?

I'm impressed.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » March 30th, 2015, 6:49 pm

rlh04d wrote:
isumvc1 wrote:Sorry, but Indiana State fans will disagree with this statement. Before Ron Prettyman became our AD, the previous AD, Annie Meyers I believe, came within a whisker of having the INS football program eliminated and the entire school dropping to D-II or D-III or NAIA, it was bad. Way worse than what your previous AD did.

You actually read that?

I'm impressed.

I didn't read a lick of it. For those of you that are like-minded, I will give you a synopsis based on the title and author:

SIU is in a bad place because the AD fired Chris Lowery.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » March 30th, 2015, 7:18 pm

If Lowery is that good, he should be dominating the Horizon League in no time, assuming he gets the Green Bay job...
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby isumvc1 » March 30th, 2015, 7:22 pm

rlh04d wrote:

You actually read that?

I'm impressed.

just the last paragraph, LOL
isumvc1
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TheAsianSensation » March 30th, 2015, 7:39 pm

I chuckled when I got to the end and saw New Mexico State. That might be the most critical AD job in the country right now. They're stuck in the WAC, as a clearly superior program to every other program in that conference. They must dominate that conference, and even the slightest slip up could cost them everything, because their only chance to remain relevant in D-1 athletics is to keep the quality up and wait for an invite from another conference before it's too late.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby pafan » March 30th, 2015, 8:09 pm

I think somebody needs some water.
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » March 31st, 2015, 9:41 am

To be fair the AD has done a pretty good job of screwing things up in Carbondale. Getting rid of Lowery did NOT contribute, but there is no doubt that the basketball and football programs have tanked under Moccia's watch.

When it is a department wide thing and all your teams tank there is no one to blame but the AD.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby rlh04d » March 31st, 2015, 3:01 pm

BCPanther wrote:If Lowery is that good, he should be dominating the Horizon League in no time, assuming he gets the Green Bay job...

You engaged the troll. Duck.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball