UNI inks Jake to new 10 yr deal

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: UNI inks Jake to new 10 yr deal

Postby uniftw » June 3rd, 2015, 1:49 pm

Is there something "tangible" to the Wisconsin thing beyond similar recruiting area and style of play?
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby uniftw » June 3rd, 2015, 3:18 pm

FWIW I agree Wisconsin is the biggest "threat" and I would argue it's probably not close.

Money can change a persons values pretty quick but Jake is very family oriented, not just his wife and kids. His parents and their ability to see him coach and more importantly involved in their grandkid's lives. At one point this past spring he mentioned the ability to take the entire family up to the family cabin in northern Minnesota to spend time with the entire family at the family cabin just fishing is one of the most important things to where he wants to be. He was very candid following the Texas AM situation that the biggest reasons he didn't go was his ability to be successful and comfortable in Cedar Falls and his ability to be involved with the extended family. The 2.5m he turned down at TAMU didn't offer that ability.

I think that's where the Minnesota threat comes from. It's probably where the Wisconsin thing comes from as well and is magnified because of style of play/player type.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shocktheheart » June 29th, 2015, 12:39 pm

uniftw wrote:FWIW I agree Wisconsin is the biggest "threat" and I would argue it's probably not close.

Money can change a persons values pretty quick but Jake is very family oriented, not just his wife and kids. His parents and their ability to see him coach and more importantly involved in their grandkid's lives. At one point this past spring he mentioned the ability to take the entire family up to the family cabin in northern Minnesota to spend time with the entire family at the family cabin just fishing is one of the most important things to where he wants to be. He was very candid following the Texas AM situation that the biggest reasons he didn't go was his ability to be successful and comfortable in Cedar Falls and his ability to be involved with the extended family. The 2.5m he turned down at TAMU didn't offer that ability.

I think that's where the Minnesota threat comes from. It's probably where the Wisconsin thing comes from as well and is magnified because of style of play/player type.

Bo Ryan leaving after next year, but wants his assistant to be promoted. Wonder if they will take a run at Ben
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shocktheheart » December 16th, 2015, 9:43 am

shocktheheart wrote:
uniftw wrote:FWIW I agree Wisconsin is the biggest "threat" and I would argue it's probably not close.

Bo Ryan leaving after next year, but wants his assistant to be promoted. Wonder if they will take a run at Ben

Bo announces last night that he is leaving effective immediately. What are the UNI fans reaction and are they a little worried? I know Ben can pick two schools that his buyout is capped at 1M. Did he already have to do this and what schools did he pick?
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MVCfans » December 16th, 2015, 9:46 am

I wondered how long it would take to find this thread. Tony Bennett is the favorite if he wants the job, but I have seen Ben's name mentioned by a couple of national writers on twitter.
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Rollbird5 » December 16th, 2015, 9:54 am

Bo will be pissed if it isn't his long time assistant Gard who keeps the job after this year
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MVCfans » December 16th, 2015, 9:57 am

Rollbird5 wrote:Bo will be pissed if it isn't his long time assistant Gard who keeps the job after this year

I'm not sure he has a say in the matter. Alvarez was very clear in his presser that Gard is the "interim" coach.
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby unipanther99 » December 16th, 2015, 11:10 am

Best case is to root hard for Gard to have a very solid year and get back to the NCAA tournament. Make it very hard for Alverez to look elsewhere.

Unless Gard implodes, I think it would be very hard for Badger fans to swallow anything less than a Tony Bennett type candidate.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Championz » December 16th, 2015, 12:15 pm

And if Tony says no, then what?
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » December 16th, 2015, 12:31 pm

Championz wrote:And if Tony says no, then what?

Then Wisconsin will still be about 10 choices away from getting to Jacobson on their list.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball