UNI inks Jake to new 10 yr deal

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: UNI inks Jake to new 10 yr deal

Postby uniftw » April 8th, 2015, 8:11 am

BCPanther wrote:
uniftw wrote:
Kyle wrote:UNI has about a dozen guys in town capable of writing six figure checks without making a dent in their personal financial situation. They rarely did it in the past, but somehow, someway, our AD has been able to get these same people to make serious, unprecedented financial commitments.
It's reasons like this that I have a hard time allowing myself to have my true feelings for Dannen.

He is a pretentious, "good ol boys club", ass/doesn't have the time of day to/for any UNI fan that isn't in the "club", give enough money, or have the right "name".....

However, the way he's been able to get people to open their pocketbooks the last 3 or 4 years is something I didn't think would be possible.

Dannen doesn't even have time for certain people that have given a bunch of money over the years.

But, you're right. He's done a great job of getting big money when needed, even though he is a pretentious, anti-social, little man complex douche...

I was trying to be nice in my description. I typed it 4 different ways before I post it.

He's good at many things with being and AD, and has managed to get things done at UNI that almost everyone thought impossible.

Doesn't change the fact he is exactly what BC called him. He has a "blacklist" of people that have "crossed him" during his time at UNI. Those people, regardless of donation level and season ticket holder status, will never receive MVC tickets...or good ones, NCAA tickets...or good ones, priority upgrades for seat locations, etc... It's not a short list from what I've heard.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Kyle » April 8th, 2015, 8:29 pm

I really don't care if Dannen is the biggest a$$hole on the planet. He understands the biggest obstacle at UNI is money and acts accordingly.

If UNI fans want a perennial top 25 program they need to pay for it or step aside so someone else can. If it takes a pompous jerk off to make this happen so be it.
Kyle
All MVC
All MVC

Postby glm38 » April 8th, 2015, 8:43 pm

Kyle wrote:I really don't care if Dannen is the biggest a$$hole on the planet. He understands the biggest obstacle at UNI is money and acts accordingly.

If UNI fans want a perennial top 25 program they need to pay for it or step aside so someone else can. If it takes a pompous jerk off to make this happen so be it.

Given UNI's success he's obviously doing some things right. But the kind of behavior described usually eventually blows up in the offenders face.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » April 9th, 2015, 5:11 am

Kyle wrote:Ahhh, I see.

I misunderstood your point. Of course they are not donors until they fork over some cash. I'm talking about program changing type money. The kind of money WSU dug up to keep Gregg around.

My point is MVC schools seem to have a tough time getting the deep pocket donors to stay connected to the program and write big checks when needed. Every school has rich guys who show up to games and probably donate enough to keep good seats and occasionally roam the sidelines. Unfortunately, writing an $1,500 check every year doesn't keep good coaches around, doesn't build a state of the facilities, and certainly doesn't turn a program into a national power.

When I talk about getting these guys to write a check, I'm talking about a $50,000 check or a $250,000 check, and occasionally a $500,000 check (like this year for WSU and UNI). UNI has about a dozen guys in town capable of writing six figure checks without making a dent in their personal financial situation. They rarely did it in the past, but somehow, someway, our AD has been able to get these same people to make serious, unprecedented financial commitments.

Gotcha, understand your point much better now.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » April 9th, 2015, 5:12 am

Kyle wrote:I really don't care if Dannen is the biggest a$$hole on the planet. He understands the biggest obstacle at UNI is money and acts accordingly.

UNI's second biggest obstacle is lack of fan support.

I was skimming through 2015 season attendance the other day and it's absolutely disgusting how many home games UNI played in a 50% full arena. In the best season in program history.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » April 9th, 2015, 7:42 am

rlh04d wrote:

UNI's second biggest obstacle is lack of fan support.

I was skimming through 2015 season attendance the other day and it's absolutely disgusting how many home games UNI played in a 50% full arena. In the best season in program history.

When you have people who bought season tickets, as a student (WHO GET FREE TICKETS), to basketball and football and donated to the PSC at the Gold ($1,000 minimum donation), Directors ($1,400 minimum donation), and VIP level (1,900 minimum donation) (yes, I know people like that at all three of those levels...I am one of the) who no longer donate/buy season tickets because of the way they've been treated it does become an issue. I donate, but at a smaller level, and combine it with another person and keep it under their name. I know, for a fact, if my name shows up on a NCAA/MVC request, a seat upgrade, etc... it's going to the back of the pile...and that's best case scenario.

I get that Dannen has been able to get things done people didn't think could happen. I acknowledge that every time I talk about him. I think he's done a GREAT job at building the athletic department, as a whole, and retaining who/what needs to be retained to for the continued success of the athletic department (for the most part...there is a reason we've lost some key AD members the last 6 years though), especially given the poo storm he walked in on. Remember his first action was cutting baseball due to issues that Hartzell ignored his entire time at UNI.

It's absolutely wonderful that the big donors are finally being embraced and feel good enough with the university to donate what they do.

I want Dannen to continue at UNI. However, we can't, and Dannen can't (but is), lose sight of the people who can't write a 10K+ check each year. The Panther Scholarship club needs those kinds of donors. We need as many $100 per year donors as we can get. For every Panther fan/alum that can donate $10k with no problems there are 10,000-15,000 who can/could donate $100. That big name donor looks nice, but so does a PSC with 5,000+ more members than it already has. 5,000 more members at $100 is an extra $500,000 per year. Unless we have 50 people who can start donating 10k per year the smart business move is to go after the "little guys" every bit as hard as the big boys.

As a real world example of what I'm talking about...I am a branch manager at my company and do wholesale HVAC equipment...York/Luxaire actually...shout out to my Wichita brethren on that one :Yea!: :Cheers: ... We've had some turn over with territory managers out of our branch the last 2. The TM that was here moved to the contractor side of things, the guy who was the branch manager moved into the TM role about a year ago and he now transferred to another location to do inside sales. So we are now on our 3rd guy in just over a year. That has created some issues with retaining existing accounts, along with our largest account going through some serious credit issues and going from well over a million in sales per yer to pacing less than 100K this year. The goal of our new TM is to generate new accounts. The new TM, our VP, and myself all sat down to try to figure out how we wanted to do things to get sales back. We decided that we need to "schmooze" our existing big accounts to keep them happy BUT the best approach is to go after the dozens and dozens and dozens of smaller shops that are less than 10 people total in the entire company. Why? Well, there are about 15 of them for every 500K plus per year account we could get. They are also typically much easier to keep happy. They don't require as much ass kissing, special treatment, being told how special they are, etc... We can easily make up for lost sales, and then grow sales, by grabbing as as 50-100k per year guys as we can and continuing to grow our bigger accounts. That's a smart move in many ways, and in a worst case scenario it's a great move. If we lose one of the small guys we aren't out like we are if a big time account pulls out and can replace it easier.

That same thing holds true for PSC donors. Dannen has to spend so much time making sure the "big guys" and "big name guys" have their egos stroked enough that people like me, or the people we really need to grow the UNI fan base, are ignored and we end up with half full arenas for a top 10-15 team
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » April 9th, 2015, 10:41 am

Regardless of what the AD is doing to the small time donor, you'd still think there would be heavy interest from the walk-up crowd to fill the unsold seats. That's the part I don't get.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » April 9th, 2015, 10:50 am

Wufan wrote:Regardless of what the AD is doing to the small time donor, you'd still think there would be heavy interest from the walk-up crowd to fill the unsold seats. That's the part I don't get.

Two power 5 schools 90 minutes from our front door and no real DI history.

Plus, UNI fans suck...
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » April 9th, 2015, 11:24 am

Wufan wrote:Regardless of what the AD is doing to the small time donor, you'd still think there would be heavy interest from the walk-up crowd to fill the unsold seats. That's the part I don't get.

Casual fans are treated the same as smaller donors...ignored.

The issue with the attendance # last year was more of a student thing than a general public thing. something like 85% purple seat backs are sold as season tickets. In the photo below 99% of sections 107 and 114 are sold as season tickets. 107 is the side you see on TV. 114 has issues with it's tickets being used because that is the big time donor/corporate ticket section. Those tickets go unused frequently.

Roughly 75-80% of sections 106, 108, 113 and 115 are sold as season tickets
Sections 101 and 105 have probably less than 25% season tickets
102-103 are small sections and are probably 25-40% season tickets

The real issue with the attendance number is that all of 109-112 have been reserved for students. That's roughly 1600-2000 tickets per game. Student tickets are free and don't need to be claimed a head of time. This meant the athletic department didn't/couldn't sell those seats because they would potentially be selling "claimed" seats that were reserved for students. Well, when the students weren't showing up this year they started selling those (they are just wooden bleachers, no backs) to the general public for a lower rate and forcing students to claim tickets a head of time so they knew how many GA tickets they could sell. The general public ate those tickets up like crazy. We'll see a change in student ticket policy going forward.

1.png
1.png (39.37 KiB) Viewed 3506 times
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » April 9th, 2015, 4:55 pm

uniftw wrote:

Casual fans are treated the same as smaller donors...ignored.

The issue with the attendance # last year was more of a student thing than a general public thing. something like 85% purple seat backs are sold as season tickets. In the photo below 99% of sections 107 and 114 are sold as season tickets. 107 is the side you see on TV. 114 has issues with it's tickets being used because that is the big time donor/corporate ticket section. Those tickets go unused frequently.

Roughly 75-80% of sections 106, 108, 113 and 115 are sold as season tickets
Sections 101 and 105 have probably less than 25% season tickets
102-103 are small sections and are probably 25-40% season tickets

The real issue with the attendance number is that all of 109-112 have been reserved for students. That's roughly 1600-2000 tickets per game. Student tickets are free and don't need to be claimed a head of time. This meant the athletic department didn't/couldn't sell those seats because they would potentially be selling "claimed" seats that were reserved for students. Well, when the students weren't showing up this year they started selling those (they are just wooden bleachers, no backs) to the general public for a lower rate and forcing students to claim tickets a head of time so they knew how many GA tickets they could sell. The general public ate those tickets up like crazy. We'll see a change in student ticket policy going forward.

1.png

As a casual attendee at WSU games I don't expect the AD to pay me any mind. Never met one, probably never will.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball