UNI inks Jake to new 10 yr deal

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: UNI inks Jake to new 10 yr deal

Postby wgslaw » June 1st, 2015, 2:45 pm

I, for one, am very impressed with this coach. Frankly, his compensation package looks a little light to me given what successful coaches are being paid. I would think it should be about at least 50% more than what is being reported on this site. He certainly is a lot better than a lot of coaches in this area who are paid more. For example see Iowa and Iowa St. My comment is not likely to be well received but I think it is a reality check.
wgslaw
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Aargh » June 1st, 2015, 10:44 pm

uniftw wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:The current model at IowaSt. couldn't be much more different from what Jacobson has done historically. Also, I can't think of too many ways to give a big ol' middle finger to UNI than to negotiate a nice new contract and then turn around and go to IowaSt. of all places, a month later.

Read how McDermott left town...that'll be about the only way.

1. Be a UNI alum that is likely the most loved UNI alum of all time, to that point.
2. Bring UNI from the dead to NCAA tournament team.
3. Mention UNI being a dream job during an NCAA tournament run
4. Don't fly home with the team after an NCAA loss instead:
5. Fly to a job interview at Iowa State
6. Sign with Iowa Sate
7. Try to take Koch, Egleseder and Kwadzo with you
8. Get within inches of being canned at Iowa State then
9. Take a job at conference rival Creighton
10. Take UNI signee with you and ride his ass for 4 years

Karma is taking care of McDermott. Getting into the Big East with only one year of Junior is going to take a toll on Daddy McD. Every appearance right now is that the Big East brought Creighton in to make DePaul look better.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » June 2nd, 2015, 8:34 am

Aargh wrote:
uniftw wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:The current model at IowaSt. couldn't be much more different from what Jacobson has done historically. Also, I can't think of too many ways to give a big ol' middle finger to UNI than to negotiate a nice new contract and then turn around and go to IowaSt. of all places, a month later.

Read how McDermott left town...that'll be about the only way.

1. Be a UNI alum that is likely the most loved UNI alum of all time, to that point.
6. Sign with Iowa Sate

Karma is taking care of McDermott. Getting into the Big East with only one year of Junior is going to take a toll on Daddy McD. Every appearance right now is that the Big East brought Creighton in to make DePaul look better.

I really wish they would have not even had a year with Dougie in the Big East...

Then again, that year with Dougie got them even further removed from reality and makes their suffering even worse.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » June 2nd, 2015, 11:57 am

uniftw wrote:
Aargh wrote:
uniftw wrote:Read how McDermott left town...that'll be about the only way.

6. Sign with Iowa Sate

I really wish they would have not even had a year with Dougie in the Big East...

Then again, that year with Dougie got them even further removed from reality and makes their suffering even worse.

I am glad they had the year with Dougie. It proved that the team that was near the top of the Valley was near the top of the Big East. That team is now gone, and wouldn't be near the top of either.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » June 2nd, 2015, 8:58 pm

Also on the topic of ISU and Jacobson.

I believe the buy out, not even the slary piece yet is something like 4.5 million dollars for the next couple years.

Almost no school, especially ISU, is going to touch that. They might think they have thw money for that type of thing, but they don't
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby unipanther99 » June 3rd, 2015, 8:38 am

uniftw wrote:Also on the topic of ISU and Jacobson.

I believe the buy out, not even the slary piece yet is something like 4.5 million dollars for the next couple years.

Almost no school, especially ISU, is going to touch that. They might think they have thw money for that type of thing, but they don't

Unless ISU is one of Coach Jake's two "dream schools" he can list as exceptions to the buyout in order to have it capped at $1 million for those schools. (Yeah right.) :twisted:
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Cdizzle » June 3rd, 2015, 9:23 am

unipanther99 wrote:

Unless ISU is one of Coach Jake's two "dream schools" he can list as exceptions to the buyout in order to have it capped at $1 million for those schools. (Yeah right.) :twisted:

When does he have to list those? More than 2 days before accepting a position at a new school?
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » June 3rd, 2015, 9:54 am

Cdizzle wrote:
unipanther99 wrote:

When does he have to list those? More than 2 days before accepting a position at a new school?

He gets to list two schools as of January 1 each year and those can't be changed until the following year. It's pretty widely known that Wisconsin is one of those schools, the other one is a mystery (cue UNI fans screaming Minnesota, though he has no interest in that job and they have no interest in him).
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » June 3rd, 2015, 11:10 am

So basically the buyout will never be higher than the $1MM. Which is fine.

He'd better make another S16 or two if he wants that Wisky job.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby unipanther99 » June 3rd, 2015, 12:59 pm

Cdizzle wrote:So basically the buyout will never be higher than the $1MM. Which is fine.

He'd better make another S16 or two if he wants that Wisky job.

It certainly can be. If a school like Illinois wanted to make a run at him, assuming they aren't one of the two listed, they would have to pay both Jake and UNI handsomely.

I think "wants" is a strong word in relation to Wisconsin or some other school he may or may not have listed. "Would consider" seems more accurate. I know things can change but he and his family seem very happy in Cedar Falls.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball