UNI inks Jake to new 10 yr deal

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: UNI inks Jake to new 10 yr deal

Postby BCPanther » April 6th, 2015, 2:59 pm

uniftw wrote:
shocktheheart wrote:Is there a reason nobody is saying his name?
No idea.

I have no idea who it is, thus my non-use of his name.

I only know 2 "famous" UNI track athletes - 1 is an Olympic quality runner but I can't imagine he is even millionaire and the other is famous for his Twitter persona and about 12 people know who it is.

Agreed. Joey Woody is a college track coach. Not exactly rolling in the money.

-ize isn't anywhere near that kind of money either.

Tyler Mulder? That doesn't make sense either.

Isn't the guy that started Dwolla a UNI alum??
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby rlh04d » April 6th, 2015, 3:38 pm

BCPanther wrote:Isn't the guy that started Dwolla a UNI alum??

According to a quick Google search, he dropped out of UNI. So technically he's an alum, although not exactly the kind you usually expect to be a big donor.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Kyle » April 6th, 2015, 4:09 pm

This guy: http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/govt-a ... 3f506.html

He owns about $35MM in real estate around Waterloo/Cedar Falls including over 1,000 apartments, but his real bread and butter is as a ticket broker. He owns season tickets to every major college and professional team along with just about every major concert. Last count was around 50 season tickets to the Chicago Bulls alone.

He ran track at UNI and the grow of his business is remarkable. He started with about 6 employees about 7 years ago and now employes over 100 people between all his businesses. Jake told him we needed to hire a dedicated strength and conditioning coach solely for the basketball team and he picked up the tab. He also forked over the cash to get the UNI All access show off the ground. Obviously this is not program changing type money, but the kid is only 29 and might very well grow into someone who will make a large impact.
Kyle
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Kyle » April 6th, 2015, 4:58 pm

rlh04d wrote:
Kyle wrote:
Every school has donors with deep pockets.

That's not true.

I'm not talking about Kaplan. Any MVC peer institution will have at least a couple rich donors. Getting them to write a check is an entirely different issue.

For example, one of the richest men in Iowa is Bill Knapp (Drake's Knapp Center). He is on the board at Drake and probably worth about $100MM. Unfortunately, Drake wasn't able to get him (or anyone else) to pony up some table scraps to keep Keno Davis from leaving town.
Kyle
All MVC
All MVC

Postby rlh04d » April 6th, 2015, 6:00 pm

Kyle wrote:
rlh04d wrote:
Kyle wrote:

That's not true.

I'm not talking about Kaplan. Any MVC peer institution will have at least a couple rich donors. Getting them to write a check is an entirely different issue.

How are they a donor if they're not writing a check? Rich alumni =/= rich donors.

And there are over 350 D1 universities. Guaranteed at least a few of those don't have particularly rich alumni. A quick look at Florida Gulf Coat University's Wiki page listed eight notable alumni, one of which is a monster truck driver.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DUBulldog » April 6th, 2015, 6:16 pm

Kyle wrote:
rlh04d wrote:
Kyle wrote:

That's not true.

For example, one of the richest men in Iowa is Bill Knapp (Drake's Knapp Center). He is on the board at Drake and probably worth about $100MM. Unfortunately, Drake wasn't able to get him (or anyone else) to pony up some table scraps to keep Keno Davis from leaving town.

FWIW, I have heard that some Drake donors were willing and able to pony up to match Providence's offer, but certain administrators were not going to allow a coach to be paid that much. New president who starts in June seems much more in touch with D1 athletics. I guess when you do your undergrad and law school at Kentucky and then work for Gonzaga for about 10 years you will "get" college basketball.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Kyle » April 7th, 2015, 5:13 pm

rlh04d wrote:How are they a donor if they're not writing a check? Rich alumni =/= rich donors.

And there are over 350 D1 universities. Guaranteed at least a few of those don't have particularly rich alumni. A quick look at Florida Gulf Coat University's Wiki page listed eight notable alumni, one of which is a monster truck driver.

You think Drake's arena was named after Bill Knapp without a check being involved? :huh:

I bet if you dig long enough you'll find some rich guys connected to just about all 350+ D1 institutions (heck, even DMACC has a billionaire donor giving them money hand over fist), but for the purpose of this discussion I'm referring to MVC peers.
Kyle
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Ricardo del Rio » April 7th, 2015, 7:26 pm

BCPanther wrote:Local media reporting $1 Million base plus incentives and annual raises.

I'll wait until confirmed by a second source, but it certainly matches rumors that have been circulating.

Two thumbs up.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » April 7th, 2015, 8:14 pm

Kyle wrote:You think Drake's arena was named after Bill Knapp without a check being involved? :huh:

I bet if you dig long enough you'll find some rich guys connected to just about all 350+ D1 institutions (heck, even DMACC has a billionaire donor giving them money hand over fist), but for the purpose of this discussion I'm referring to MVC peers.

Dude, just try reading what you said:

Any MVC peer institution will have at least a couple rich donors. Getting them to write a check is an entirely different issue.

Where the heck do you get that I'm talking about Knapp at? I just disagree with your blanket statement, and "getting [donors] to write a check" as the problem logically makes no sense. They're not a donor until they're writing a check. That's kind of the definition of a donor.

There's no fundamental disagreement here, you're just wording things poorly and not recognizing it :)
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Kyle » April 7th, 2015, 9:06 pm

Ahhh, I see.

I misunderstood your point. Of course they are not donors until they fork over some cash. I'm talking about program changing type money. The kind of money WSU dug up to keep Gregg around.

My point is MVC schools seem to have a tough time getting the deep pocket donors to stay connected to the program and write big checks when needed. Every school has rich guys who show up to games and probably donate enough to keep good seats and occasionally roam the sidelines. Unfortunately, writing an $1,500 check every year doesn't keep good coaches around, doesn't build a state of the facilities, and certainly doesn't turn a program into a national power.

When I talk about getting these guys to write a check, I'm talking about a $50,000 check or a $250,000 check, and occasionally a $500,000 check (like this year for WSU and UNI). UNI has about a dozen guys in town capable of writing six figure checks without making a dent in their personal financial situation. They rarely did it in the past, but somehow, someway, our AD has been able to get these same people to make serious, unprecedented financial commitments.
Kyle
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball