UNI inks Jake to new 10 yr deal

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: UNI inks Jake to new 10 yr deal

Postby BCPanther » April 10th, 2015, 9:31 am

UNIFanSince1983 wrote:
rlh04d wrote:
Wufan wrote:As a casual attendee at WSU games I don't expect the AD to pay me any mind. Never met one, probably never will.

Yeah, not sure I understand that. To the best of my knowledge my grandparents have been season ticket holders for around 50 years, and they've both taught at WSU at points, and they've never met any of the AD during their entire run.

And WSU season ticket prices aren't even really comparable to UNI.

What kind of interest is the AD supposed to be paying to casual fans/small donors?

I am not sure what they are getting at either. I don't expect the Dannen to come up to me or even to pay me any mind.

Nor do I, but I would also not expect him to look up, see a rather influential donor, and then totally change course so he didn't have to interact with them. But, unfortunately, I've seen that too....
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby uniftw » April 10th, 2015, 10:42 am

rlh04d wrote:
Wufan wrote:As a casual attendee at WSU games I don't expect the AD to pay me any mind. Never met one, probably never will.

Yeah, not sure I understand that. To the best of my knowledge my grandparents have been season ticket holders for around 50 years, and they've both taught at WSU at points, and they've never met any of the AD during their entire run.

And WSU season ticket prices aren't even really comparable to UNI.

What kind of interest is the AD supposed to be paying to casual fans/small donors?

I'm not saying he needs to know their names, family story, kids names, etc...

He shouldn't act, however, like they don't exist and aren't needed at UNI. The story of him changing course to avoid donors happens so he can avoid being around "common" UNI fans. It wouldn't take much for him, or the entire athletic department, to shake a hand here or there and ask how they are enjoying the event. Tell them thanks for coming. I'm not saying big things have to happen but UNI hasn't exactly been a "warm and welcoming" environment for potential new fans for some time.

The only interaction the athletic department even tries to have is asking for money.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby valleychamp » April 10th, 2015, 1:16 pm

Good God, who cares. What a bunch of whiney nonsense. It's not his job to come around and make you feel special by shaking your hand and thanking you for coming to a game. Is that what we are really talking about here? Or some other grand conspiracy?

Just enjoy the game and go on with your life.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Kyle » April 10th, 2015, 2:02 pm

valleychamp wrote:Good God, who cares. What a bunch of whiney nonsense. It's not his job to come around and make you feel special by shaking your hand and thanking you for coming to a game. Is that what we are really talking about here? Or some other grand conspiracy?

Just enjoy the game and go on with your life.

Amen.

I've been around Troy several dozen times and have been a PSC member and season ticket holder for 10+ years. He's never spoken one word to me and I DGAF. In fact, I'd rather keep it that way.
Kyle
All MVC
All MVC

Postby rlh04d » April 11th, 2015, 9:23 am

uniftw wrote:I'm not saying he needs to know their names, family story, kids names, etc...

He shouldn't act, however, like they don't exist and aren't needed at UNI. The story of him changing course to avoid donors happens so he can avoid being around "common" UNI fans. It wouldn't take much for him, or the entire athletic department, to shake a hand here or there and ask how they are enjoying the event. Tell them thanks for coming. I'm not saying big things have to happen but UNI hasn't exactly been a "warm and welcoming" environment for potential new fans for some time.

The only interaction the athletic department even tries to have is asking for money.

I feel like this a "small school" mentality.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby unipanther99 » May 5th, 2015, 10:57 am

Additional details have been made public about Coach Jacobson's new 10 year contract:

•The yearly base salary is $400,000, plus a media fee of $200,000 and longevity pay of $125,000, as well as other possible bonuses. The previously released amount of $900K is actually a 10 year average. He will start at $775K next year, get a $50K raise the following year and $25K raises each remaining year of the contract to max out at $1.025 million.

•Bonuses include: $10k for MVC Coach of the Year, $15k for MVC regular season championship, $15k for MVC tourney championship, $10k for NIT bid + $10k per NIT win, and $25k for NCAA tourney bid + $40k per NCAA tourney win and $100k for the Final Four. Also, bonuses ranging from $10K-$25K for home attendance.

•Jacobson and his agent cannot seek, discuss or negotiate with another school about a coaching vacancy without notifying athletic director Troy Dannen.

•If Jacobson leaves UNI for another school before May 31, 2017, the Panthers would be owed 50 percent of whatever dollar amount remains on the contract. The buyout dips to 40 percent if Jacobson departs prior to May 31, 2019, and 30 percent prior to 2024. Each year Jake can designate 2 universities that if he were to leave and coach there, the buyout of his contracted is capped at $1 Million.

•If Jake falls out of the top 3 in compensation in the Valley, his buyout is effectively 0 and he gets an annual $30,000 fee.

•Assistant coaches compensation is to be in the top two in the Valley.

•Jacobson will have use of a courtesy vehicle for personal or business use. If a vehicle is not available, he is entitled to an allowance of $600 per month.

•The coach is provided golf club membership to Beaver Hills Country Club and Sunnyside Country Club.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/ ... /26904355/

http://wcfcourier.com/ben-jacobson-s-co ... 03996.html

(thanks to those on Panthernation who gleaned much of this content from the articles -- I've copied and pasted some of their posts here)
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby MVCfans » June 1st, 2015, 11:37 am

With Hoiberg leaving Ames for the NBA, sounds like Jake's name is at least being discussed by the media as a potential replacement. Hopefully, he stays at UNI.
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Cdizzle » June 1st, 2015, 11:54 am

MVCfans wrote:With Hoiberg leaving Ames for the NBA, sounds like Jake's name is at least being discussed by the media as a potential replacement. Hopefully, he stays at UNI.

I don't see it.

The current model at IowaSt. couldn't be much more different from what Jacobson has done historically. Also, I can't think of too many ways to give a big ol' middle finger to UNI than to negotiate a nice new contract and then turn around and go to IowaSt. of all places, a month later.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » June 1st, 2015, 12:11 pm

I am not sure Jake would go to Ames after his good friend left to go there, and was all but run out of town.

I am not saying it can't happen, but I find it highly unlikely.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » June 1st, 2015, 12:34 pm

MVCfans wrote:With Hoiberg leaving Ames for the NBA, sounds like Jake's name is at least being discussed by the media as a potential replacement. Hopefully, he stays at UNI.

Media is desperate for clicks and comments....

Anyone with 2 firing neurons in their brain knows this isn't even close to being a remote possibility.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball