UNI inks Jake to new 10 yr deal

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: UNI inks Jake to new 10 yr deal

Postby Cdizzle » January 4th, 2016, 12:38 pm

At this point, I don't think Jacobson is going anywhere, whether he wants to or not.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BCPanther » January 4th, 2016, 1:37 pm

Cdizzle wrote:At this point, I don't think Jacobson is going anywhere, whether he wants to or not.

Yeah, because good ADs throw out a 10 year track record for 2 months of an inconsistent team.

That said. I'd be surprised if Jake ended up at Wisconsin. I think Gard will be good enough down the stretch to keep the job.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » January 4th, 2016, 1:54 pm

BCPanther wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:At this point, I don't think Jacobson is going anywhere, whether he wants to or not.

Yeah, because good ADs throw out a 10 year track record for 2 months of an inconsistent team.

That said. I'd be surprised if Jake ended up at Wisconsin. I think Gard will be good enough down the stretch to keep the job.

My comment isn't based on the last 2 months, though they don't help and it isn't the first time such a stretch has happened.

From my perspective, Jacobson has shown he isn't interested in mediocre P5 jobs (and rightfully so), but I think those are the ADs that would be very interested in him. An AD at a place like Michigan St. has more to consider than what is a great hire. He has to be able to sell an exciting hire.

As someone familiar with the Valley, I see Jacobson and his teams a lot more than the average P5 CBB fan. And I think he's a good coach that will consistently put a pretty good team on the floor, and every several years put a pretty great team on the floor. I'm aware that part of the reason UNI hasn't won the league in several years is that there has been a nationally elite team in the league.

From an outsiders perspective, Jacobson doesn't fit that bill as an exciting hire. When UNI is good, they don't play a particularly thrilling brand of basketball (nothing wrong with that). If you were a fan of a perennial upper-division B10 team, how excited would you be if your AD brought in a coach that hadn't won a championship in the terrible MVC the last 5 (maybe heading toward 6?) seasons, finishing 2nd once and had a league winning percentage of 63% (NOTE: They don't know and sure as hell don't care that Doug McDermott almost came to UNI)? All that, and he's been loyal to his school and clearly isn't going to leave for peanuts.

I'm not contending that such an AD at a school that might actually move the needle for Jacobson can or will do better than him, just that they will look elsewhere if and when the time comes.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball