Gregg Marshall stays at Wichita

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Gregg Marshall stays at Wichita

Postby Rollbird5 » April 4th, 2015, 3:22 pm

As much as everyone hates to see their best players leave, it is fun to see which guys step up the next year and make a name for themselves. It'll be interesting to see which of wsu recruits do lots of talent there
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby glm38 » April 4th, 2015, 6:09 pm

jwa123 wrote:
rlh04d wrote:
UNIFanSince1983 wrote:But that is the thing money wouldn't be the reason Marshall would leave WSU for one of those jobs. Obviously, he would get a bit of money for it, but that is not the reason coaches take those jobs.

The important thing is Marshall and Jacobsen appear to be staying put for now. That alone is a big win for each school and the conference as a whole.

One very interesting thing I learned about this: I'm fairly certain Marshall would be at Alabama right now if it was up to him. I think this decision is on his family. I have a feeling both of his kids campaigned hard to stay in Wichita. So in that sense, I'm not sure it would be about the prestige of those jobs, either. Marshall obviously values the opinions of his family very highly.

But they'll be out of school before too much longer, and I don't see them being around to talk Marshall out of taking one of those jobs if they come open in the next few years.

Still, there are maybe four jobs we could ever worry about losing Marshall to now. Kentucky, Florida, UNC, Duke. Who would ever expect that to be the limitations of what a coach would leave a Valley team for?

Speaks very positively to Gregg Marshall's character when he does what's more important for his family than what is best for his career.

I agree but I'm not sure he didn't ultimately do what was best for his career too. I was listening to espn radio today and in the course of discussing all the coaching changes they put forth the opinion that WSU is a better head coaching gig than Alabama. I agree with that.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ShoxNAwe » April 4th, 2015, 10:57 pm

Rollbird5 wrote:It'll be interesting to see how wsu is once fred, ron, and evan are gone. Those 3 are some of the biggest competitors/winners I have ever watched, will be tough to replace them. I don't know as much about wsu's history, so I'm sure you guys have wondered the same thing about other players/teams in the past and it ended up working out well obviously.

It has worked out very well. Very well.
ShoxNAwe
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby pafan » April 6th, 2015, 8:59 pm

Alabama ended up hiring Avery Johnson, most recently head coach of the Brooklyn Nets. He's never coached at the college level.
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby Aargh » April 6th, 2015, 10:35 pm

jwa123 wrote:
rlh04d wrote:
UNIFanSince1983 wrote:Speaks very positively to Gregg Marshall's character when he does what's more important for his family than what is best for his career.

I don't think a move to 'Bama would be "best for his career". It's a mill more a year, but it's been reported that Battle was expecting SEC titles for what he was willing to pay. When it was $2 mill more a year - maybe.

With Billy Donovan at Florida and Calipari at Kentucky, winning the SEC isn't a "gimme". If Marshall didn't win the SEC in - oh, say 6 years, he's gonna get canned for taking too much money away from the FB program. So 6 years at 'Bama and possibly out the door is the same $$ as 8 years at WSU and still earning $3 mill+ a year.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » April 7th, 2015, 4:44 am

pafan wrote:Alabama ended up hiring Avery Johnson, most recently head coach of the Brooklyn Nets. He's never coached at the college level.

He's not a great coach, but he has name value, which definitely helps with recruiting.

But yeah, consistently declining coaching success, no college experience ... name value is about the best thing he has going for him.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby unipanther99 » April 7th, 2015, 7:35 am

rlh04d wrote:
pafan wrote:Alabama ended up hiring Avery Johnson, most recently head coach of the Brooklyn Nets. He's never coached at the college level.

He's not a great coach, but he has name value, which definitely helps with recruiting.

But yeah, consistently declining coaching success, no college experience ... name value is about the best thing he has going for him.

I could see him trying to take the Fred Hoiberg approach. Poach the problem players from other teams, play up your connections to the NBA. It might actually work if he surrounds himself with really solid college assistants and one heck of a compliance coordinator.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby uniftw » April 7th, 2015, 8:00 am

unipanther99 wrote:
rlh04d wrote:

I could see him trying to take the Fred Hoiberg approach. Poach the problem players from other teams, play up your connections to the NBA. It might actually work if he surrounds himself with really solid college assistants and one heck of a compliance coordinator.

That was my thought.

Hoiberg isn't actually that good at X and O coaching. He just waits for highly rated players to be booted from their previous program and picks them up. He lets them play "fast" because its what they want to play and by forcing everyone to try to keep up with them he can hide his inefficiencies as a strategist.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » April 7th, 2015, 10:38 am

rlh04d wrote:

The worst part about it is they are paying him 3mil a year.

I heard Gottlieb talking on Dan Patrick this morning about this. They were more than likely bidding against themselves so 3 mil a year is super high. Plus they could have gotten the Murray State coach who was an Alabama alum, and actually had been a college coach and had quite a bit of success. This hire makes zero sense except for the name value of it.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby rlh04d » April 7th, 2015, 3:21 pm

UNIFanSince1983 wrote:
rlh04d wrote:

The worst part about it is they are paying him 3mil a year.

I heard Gottlieb talking on Dan Patrick this morning about this. They were more than likely bidding against themselves so 3 mil a year is super high. Plus they could have gotten the Murray State coach who was an Alabama alum, and actually had been a college coach and had quite a bit of success. This hire makes zero sense except for the name value of it.

Wow. That's actually hilarious, and shows why schools like Alabama, with so many resources, can never seem to get over the hump.

Steve Prohm could have been a slam-dunk hire for them at half the price, while oozing dedication to the school. But schools like Alabama always try too hard to make the big name hire.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball