Gregg Marshall stays at Wichita

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Gregg Marshall stays at Wichita

Postby Cdizzle » April 2nd, 2015, 9:47 am

TheAsianSensation wrote:I'm not sure there's enough money in the world to stop Marshall if Duke or UNC or Louisville or Kentucky came knocking. There's a few blue-bloods that are just going to get their guy if they want them.

Obviously, though, Texas and Alabama aren't blue-bloods. :dance:

We might get to find out in a year or two.

There is a lot of money in the world. A not small amount of it is in the bank account of the guy whose name is on the building Marshall works in.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby ilstubirds250 » April 2nd, 2015, 10:08 am

Championz wrote:Tons of Redbird insight in the previous Marshall thread. None in this one so far.

Ouch.

Shocker fans, I'm sorry you have to deal with people like this who make your fan base look bad.

But I'm very very happy he's staying. Awesome news
ilstubirds250
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BirdmanBB » April 2nd, 2015, 11:07 am

Congrats to WSU and the fans. This is huge for you and the valley. That's some crazy serious money and shows how committed the school is to keeping him. In all seriousness I am glad he stayed. Keeps the valley strong and the WSU/ISU feud going.

Hopefully conference strength keeps improving and we can get 3 legit teams in next year and increase the valley profile.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby LanceShock » April 2nd, 2015, 11:18 am

The real crazy thing is that WSU will pay Marshall more next year than it would take some other Valley schools, ie. Missouri State, to fire their coach.
LanceShock
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby AndShock » April 2nd, 2015, 12:04 pm

TylerDurden wrote:Good news for WSU and the MVC.

Question: What's the buyout?

Just asking to see what WSU leveraged to keep him or stands to gain if one of Duke, Kentucky, Louisville, Syracuse or some school that spends nearly triple on its basketball program comes calling.

Side bar: there are several schools overspending ridiculous amounts of money for the results they currently get (Marquette, Oklahoma State, Memphis) Also, the increase in salary puts WSU in the top 25-30 in MBB spending.

I would guess that buyout isn't that high. Marshall doesn't want to feel like he's being held captive and I have no problem with us following his demands.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby AndShock » April 2nd, 2015, 12:06 pm

I remember a UNI fan flipping out when we gave Marshall his first raise putting him over $1 million. He was flabbergasted that we would pay that much for a coach who couldn't even get us to the NCAA tournament. I imagine now he's having an aneurysm since we're paying a coach $3.3 million that hasn't even won a national championship.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » April 2nd, 2015, 12:23 pm

Cdizzle wrote:
TheAsianSensation wrote:I'm not sure there's enough money in the world to stop Marshall if Duke or UNC or Louisville or Kentucky came knocking. There's a few blue-bloods that are just going to get their guy if they want them.

Obviously, though, Texas and Alabama aren't blue-bloods. :dance:

We might get to find out in a year or two.

There is a lot of money in the world. A not small amount of it is in the bank account of the guy whose name is on the building Marshall works in.

But that is the thing money wouldn't be the reason Marshall would leave WSU for one of those jobs. Obviously, he would get a bit of money for it, but that is not the reason coaches take those jobs.

The important thing is Marshall and Jacobsen appear to be staying put for now. That alone is a big win for each school and the conference as a whole.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby rlh04d » April 2nd, 2015, 4:53 pm

UNIFanSince1983 wrote:But that is the thing money wouldn't be the reason Marshall would leave WSU for one of those jobs. Obviously, he would get a bit of money for it, but that is not the reason coaches take those jobs.

The important thing is Marshall and Jacobsen appear to be staying put for now. That alone is a big win for each school and the conference as a whole.

One very interesting thing I learned about this: I'm fairly certain Marshall would be at Alabama right now if it was up to him. I think this decision is on his family. I have a feeling both of his kids campaigned hard to stay in Wichita. So in that sense, I'm not sure it would be about the prestige of those jobs, either. Marshall obviously values the opinions of his family very highly.

But they'll be out of school before too much longer, and I don't see them being around to talk Marshall out of taking one of those jobs if they come open in the next few years.

Still, there are maybe four jobs we could ever worry about losing Marshall to now. Kentucky, Florida, UNC, Duke. Who would ever expect that to be the limitations of what a coach would leave a Valley team for?
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » April 2nd, 2015, 5:05 pm

LanceShock wrote:The real crazy thing is that WSU will pay Marshall more next year than it would take some other Valley schools, ie. Missouri State, to fire their coach.

No, the REAL crazy thing is that WSU will pay Marshall nearly as much as every other Valley team COMBINED will pay their coaches next season.

Ben Jacobson, N. Iowa $900,000
Dan Muller, Illinois State $401,200
Paul Lusk, Missouri State $305,333
Barry Hinson, Southern Illinois $325,000
Greg Lansing, Indiana State $219-262,000 (not sure)
Ray Giacoletti, Drake $400-450,000
Marty Simmons, Evansville $180-200,000
Brian Wardle, Bradley ~$700,000 (based on what Ford started at)
Porter Moser, Loyola ~$150-250,000 (This is a complete shot in the dark. I have no idea what Loyola pays him.)

Gregg Marshall: $3.3 million
Everyone else combined: $3.58-3.79 million

If you leave off Jacobson at UNI, it's possible that Marshall now makes comparable to the total combined coaching staffs of every non-UNI Valley team, head and assistant coaches.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby March » April 2nd, 2015, 6:36 pm

Fun Fact: the total and average reported attendance numbers for Alabama and Wichita State for 2014. I thought it was amusing how close they were. Note that WSU's Arena has only 10,506 seats! Capacity for Alabama is 15,316.

From: http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_basketb ... d/2014.pdf

35. Alabama 17 182,825 10,754
36. Wichita St. 17 182,452 10,732
March
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball