Gregg Marshall stays at Wichita

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Gregg Marshall stays at Wichita

Postby AndShock » April 3rd, 2015, 4:25 pm

rlh04d wrote:I don't live in Wichita anymore and haven't in some time ... but when I go back, the city is different than I remember it. There's more of a swagger around town, and there's more pride in the city itself. You can legitimately make the argument that Marshall is transforming Wichita.

This is something that I absolutely love about Gregg that is very hard to explain to outsiders and they don't even believe it when I do. Heck, some Wichita State fans probably don't even believe it. There is a buzz around this town that just didn't exist 10 years ago and imo you can't put a dollar figure on it. Combined with everything else you said, if Gregg was the highest paid coach in college basketball I wouldn't be complaining. When Gregg is gone, either by retirement or another job, we might be able to find someone who is just as good of a coach, maybe even better. We will never find another Gregg Marshall. I know that sounds cliche and ridiculous and it might sound like I'm only saying it because he's our coach, but it is 100% true.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby rlh04d » April 3rd, 2015, 4:26 pm

Tl;dr didn't read version:

The #4 richest man in the United States isn't personally involved just because he likes basketball.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » April 3rd, 2015, 4:52 pm

uniftw wrote:I'm not going to argue Marshall's worth to WSU...but with a 3.3mpy tag on his head anything less than a title in the next 3-5 years is sure to ultimately be deemed a failure and overpaying...as well as anything less than a s16/elite eight every single season on the way....right?

No. I will be disappointed every year that we don't make the tournament, and some Shocker fans will be irrate, but that is part of rooting for a non-blue chip program. Marshall has won 30 games a year for the past three years and has averaged 30 wins per game for the past 5, with none of those being below 27. He's won 25 or more games per year for the past 6 years (only been here 8). He owns the top five winningest seasons in WSU history since 1928 (when WSU went 33-8) and the #1, 3,4,5,6, 10 winningest seasons all time.

He has a 7 year contract. I expect 5 tournament appearances, 2 sweet 16s. Anything beyond that is gravy!
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ShoxNAwe » April 3rd, 2015, 5:38 pm

uniftw wrote: I'm not going to argue Marshall's worth to WSU...but with a 3.3mpy tag on his head anything less than a title in the next 3-5 years is sure to ultimately be deemed a failure and overpaying...as well as anything less than a s16/elite eight every single season on the way....right?

Wrong. Look at the hundreds of millions in advertising value and real dollars that Marshall has drawn to WSU over the last 5 years. Even a repeat of past performance is enough.
ShoxNAwe
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby bleach » April 3rd, 2015, 7:16 pm

As a fan of a team that I believe has the potential to be where WSU is, I know the value of a great coach to a program. As a non WSU fan, I think most of the mid major barriers have been knocked down by WSU and they only go back up if you let them. Losing Gregg would have put many back up.
That said, I expect WSU to maintain expectations of NCAA tourney every year (barring major uncontrollable factors), sweet sixteen at least 50% of the time and better every 4-5 years. I would also expect that success rate to improve over time.
Success breeds success. Don't be content! Gregg won't be.
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Kyle » April 3rd, 2015, 9:38 pm

Expecting a NC in the next 7 years is completely unreasonable for ANY program not named Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina, or Kansas.

National Championships are a once in lifetime type deal for great programs and a once in a decade type deal for the BEST programs.
Kyle
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Championz » April 4th, 2015, 1:35 pm

uniftw wrote:I'm not going to argue Marshall's worth to WSU...but with a 3.3mpy tag on his head anything less than a title in the next 3-5 years is sure to ultimately be deemed a failure and overpaying...as well as anything less than a s16/elite eight every single season on the way....right?

This post has an incredible amount of fail in it.

Thankfully, a lot of that has been cleared up by other posters already.
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Rollbird5 » April 4th, 2015, 2:19 pm

It'll be interesting to see how wsu is once fred, ron, and evan are gone. Those 3 are some of the biggest competitors/winners I have ever watched, will be tough to replace them. I don't know as much about wsu's history, so I'm sure you guys have wondered the same thing about other players/teams in the past and it ended up working out well obviously.
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Postby SHOXMVC » April 4th, 2015, 2:31 pm

Rollbird5 wrote:It'll be interesting to see how wsu is once fred, ron, and evan are gone. Those 3 are some of the biggest competitors/winners I have ever watched, will be tough to replace them. I don't know as much about wsu's history, so I'm sure you guys have wondered the same thing about other players/teams in the past and it ended up working out well obviously.

I would rather not think about it, but Marshall always seems to reload. With our success, higher quality recruits come with the territory.
SHOXMVC
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Wufan » April 4th, 2015, 2:40 pm

Rollbird5 wrote:It'll be interesting to see how wsu is once fred, ron, and evan are gone. Those 3 are some of the biggest competitors/winners I have ever watched, will be tough to replace them. I don't know as much about wsu's history, so I'm sure you guys have wondered the same thing about other players/teams in the past and it ended up working out well obviously.

There was a lot of talk on this board (mainly from Creighton fans) that we would struggle after losing Toure Murry, David Kyles, Joe Ragland, Ben Smith, and Garret Stutz. Of course the Shockers went to the final four the next year.

After next year, when we lose Baker, VanVleet, Wessel, and Wamukota, we will probably not see that level of winner again. However, the Shockers will still be an incredibly talented team. Shaq Morris and Zach Brown showed some serious promise as freshman. Bringing in Conner Frankamp (top 40 recruit), and top 100s Landry Shamet and Markis McDuffie will ensure the cupboard is not bare.

WSUs recruiting class looks like this:

Eric Hamilton - 6-9, 220 stretch 4 in prep school. 3* recruit that lead team in scoring.
Tyrone Taylor - 6-4, 180 PG in prep school. 3* recruit lead top 10 national ranked prep team in scoring at over 20 per game.
Landry Shamet - 6-4, 170 CG. 4* recruit.
Markis McDuffie - 6-9, 190 WF. 4* recruit that lead top 10 national ranked team in scoring and rebounding.
Conner Frankamp - 6-1, 170 CG. Top 50 transfer from KU. Averaged 27 PPG and shot 55/45/90% for his high school CAREER from the field/three/line respectively.

Now all five of them may not work out, but a couple will.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball