ISUr asst. Torrey Ward (and others) killed in Plane Crash

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: ISUr asst. Torrey Ward (and others) killed in Plane Cras

Postby Rollbird5 » April 8th, 2015, 1:25 pm

Not sure if anybody said it yet but Redbird Nation really appreciates all the support from everyone during these tough times it really means a lot to everyone
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby ilstubirds250 » April 8th, 2015, 1:48 pm

Rollbird5 wrote:Not sure if anybody said it yet but Redbird Nation really appreciates all the support from everyone during these tough times it really means a lot to everyone

The Valley has some of the best and most supportive fans around. It doesn't go unnoticed
ilstubirds250
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby AcesLegacy » April 8th, 2015, 3:21 pm

Weeping Basketball always running at UE Memorial Plaza, this week also for our friends at Illinois State
Weeping Bball Memorial.JPG
Weeping Bball Memorial.JPG (27.48 KiB) Viewed 4507 times
AcesLegacy
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby uniftw » April 8th, 2015, 3:24 pm

I can't even begin to imagine something like this happening at UNI. The impact those coaches/staff had off the court, more than on, often goes unnoticed. The bond that was had with players, community members, other university staff, etc...

This is terribly tragic.

I probably don't have much good karma built up with whatever higher power may exist, but I'm hoping whatever I have can go towards helping the ISU community recover from something like this.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UABlazin » April 9th, 2015, 12:15 pm

The memorial service for Torrey Ward will be Sunday, 1:30 pm at UAB's Bartow Arena.
UABlazin
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby Aargh » April 9th, 2015, 8:57 pm

Because of my close association with the athletes from WSU who went down 40+ years ago, these stories always bring back memories I'd rather not have. Every time something like this happens, it takes some healing time before I can bring myself to express my feelings.

I'm just going to copy and paste my response on the RedBird Forum

It's taken me a long time to be able to express my sympathy for the families and friends of those who went down. It's not just the families and friends who are feeling the pain. It's the academic community - and the entire community.

From my Fr year to my Jr year, I lived in the dorms with the Wichita State football players who went down.

That was over 40 years ago, and I still have trouble responding to tragedies like the one RedBird fans suffered.

If you were friends of any who went down, your memory of the last encounter you had with them will be both a beautiful and a haunting memory. Beautiful because of the joy they brought to you and haunting because that was your last chance to share that joy with them. Those feelings aren't going to leave you the rest of your life.

Let's celebrate how those who have gone enriched our lives, and how our lives were made better by them. Let's feel the pain that they can no longer do the things that made them the great people they were.

Then let's go and continue the good works they started on this Earth but didn't have a chance to finish.

Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby cpacmel » April 10th, 2015, 7:39 am

Aargh thank you very much for that and your post on redbirdfan.

Thanks also to everyone who has posted support, prayers, etc.

It's been an unbelievable gut wrenching week. Most of the men who lost their lives left behind young children, and as a father of 2 young boys, I've had a hard time dealing with that.

This is an excellent article about Jason Jones, who lost his life on that plane crash. As I read through it.....it very much reminded me of my own fandom. And having gotten to know a few of you guys over the years.....it very much reminded me of your fandom.

http://highschoolcubenews.com/2015/04/07/henricksen-loss-best-friend-basketball-junkie/
cpacmel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mathewson10 » April 11th, 2015, 10:21 am

Hey guys,
I haven't really commented on this post because sometimes you just don't have the words or know how to respond when something tragic happens, especially to one of your own. I saw this link this morning & thought I would share it. Some of you may know Coach Ward was getting married in a few weeks with a child on the way. If anyone can help out this family, please do so. http://www.gofundme.com/newlife21
mathewson10
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Rollbird5 » September 14th, 2015, 5:00 pm

Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Postby jackwagon » September 14th, 2015, 6:14 pm

Well done isur!
jackwagon