Interesting MVC metrics

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Interesting MVC metrics

Postby uniftw » April 15th, 2015, 11:17 am

Cdizzle wrote:
UEACES80 wrote:Ever think that opposing teams focus so much on DJ / Colt / Jason Holsinger / Shy Ely etc that it increases the FG % of the other players by creating good looks for them. Not saying Marty is a genius but it is his team and his offense of choice.

I know I thought that. I focused on it so much that I almost didn't notice that this genius gameplan led to a 57-87 record in the league over the last 8 seasons with a best finish of a 5-way tie for 3rd.

I think at this point it's been pretty well proven that the system works. It just works in a slightly less than 50% kind of way, against marginal competition.

I've got a theory I'm going to test later this week.

Evansville's best games/wins are when there is the most diverse scoring.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stl scooter » April 15th, 2015, 12:38 pm

Trust me, UE fans would love to see 4-5 players average double figures.
A couple points:
Gibson & Moore shoot a high fg%, but rarely take shots outside of the 3' circle.

Wing had a high fg%, but rarely took shots (frustrating for UE fans) outside of the lane.

A couple times every game, DJ received passes with less than 5 seconds on the shot clock & not anywhere near a 'scoring position.' Kind of hurts efficiency rating.

I think their success will come from improvements on the defensive end.

Just opinions...not being "pissy."
The preceding lesson in basketball is free of charge.
stl scooter
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » April 15th, 2015, 1:31 pm

stl scooter wrote:IMO, Mock is not a player that scores very well when he has to create his own shot. When he scores well, it is a play created by someone else (e.g: pick & roll, alley oop, catch & dunk, offensive rebs).

Most big men score on plays created by someone else. I am pretty sure Shaq wasn't out there breaking ankles on his way to a dunk regularly.

And I would also argue that offensive rebounds (which there were a ton of with DJ's lack of efficiency) would be creating your own shot for a big man.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby pafan » April 15th, 2015, 5:36 pm

uniftw wrote:I've got a theory I'm going to test later this week.

Evansville's best games/wins are when there is the most diverse scoring.

I certainly believe in your theory.
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby Aargh » April 15th, 2015, 7:51 pm

UEACES80 wrote:Ever think that opposing teams focus so much on DJ / Colt / Jason Holsinger / Shy Ely etc that it increases the FG % of the other players by creating good looks for them. Not saying Marty is a genius but it is his team and the only offense he knows.

FIFY
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » April 15th, 2015, 8:39 pm

UEACES80 wrote:Ever think that opposing teams focus so much on DJ / Colt / Jason Holsinger / Shy Ely etc that it increases the FG % of the other players by creating good looks for them. Not saying Marty is a genius but it is his team and his offense of choice.

Creating good looks for players to score on high % plays is a good way to run an offense. I'm sure DJ wouldn't have such a low % if the entire Evansville offense wasn't running him off screens and forcing shots, so that he's the only player on the court the opposing team has to defend. But it's not a particularly good or efficient strategy, and it has never been particularly successful.

There's a reason Evansville's only been ranked in the top 100 of KenPom's offensive efficiency once in Marty's entire run there. Living and dying by the hot hand of a single shooter is not an efficient or effective offense. It'll beat teams it shouldn't when that hand is hot, and it'll lose to teams it shouldn't when that hand is cold.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ricardo del Rio » April 16th, 2015, 7:44 pm

uniftw wrote:Mock is top 10 in offensive efficiency in the conference since the start of the 2009 season. The only guys a head of him, you may have heard of...I can say all them them by last name and everyone will know who I'm talking about McDermott, Tuttle, Early, Echenique, Weems, Jackson.

DJ is down at 36 on that list. He is behind guys like Ethan Wragge, J.T. Durley, Andrew Warren, Mamadou Seck, Nate Buss, Will Creekmore, All good players in the own right, but...yeah. His rating is nearly identical to Ben Smith, Christian Thomas, Richard Carter, Seth Van Deast, Lucas O'Rear, Dwayne Lathan and Caleb Patterson.

The offense could be SO MUCH better than it is if a couple easy adjustments were made.

Durley? Am I reading a misstatement?
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » April 17th, 2015, 8:16 am

Ricardo del Rio wrote:
uniftw wrote:Mock is top 10 in offensive efficiency in the conference since the start of the 2009 season. The only guys a head of him, you may have heard of...I can say all them them by last name and everyone will know who I'm talking about McDermott, Tuttle, Early, Echenique, Weems, Jackson.

DJ is down at 36 on that list. He is behind guys like Ethan Wragge, J.T. Durley, Andrew Warren, Mamadou Seck, Nate Buss, Will Creekmore, All good players in the own right, but...yeah. His rating is nearly identical to Ben Smith, Christian Thomas, Richard Carter, Seth Van Deast, Lucas O'Rear, Dwayne Lathan and Caleb Patterson.

The offense could be SO MUCH better than it is if a couple easy adjustments were made.

Durley? Am I reading a misstatement?

You misread nothing.

30. Andrew Warren 19.92
31. Jake Koch 19.78
32. J.T. Durley 19.77
33. Tony Lewis 19.66
34. Tyshon Pickett 19.35
35. Ethan Wragge 19.31
36. D.J. Balentine 19.26
37. Ben Smith 19.06
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer