Interesting MVC metrics

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Interesting MVC metrics

Postby stl scooter » April 14th, 2015, 10:33 am

IMO, Mock is not a player that scores very well when he has to create his own shot. When he scores well, it is a play created by someone else (e.g: pick & roll, alley oop, catch & dunk, offensive rebs).
The preceding lesson in basketball is free of charge.
stl scooter
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby uniftw » April 14th, 2015, 10:43 am

stl scooter wrote:IMO, Mock is not a player that scores very well when he has to create his own shot. When he scores well, it is a play created by someone else (e.g: pick & roll, alley oop, catch & dunk, offensive rebs).

So maybe some offensive sets should be created for that....
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » April 14th, 2015, 11:08 am

uniftw wrote:
stl scooter wrote:IMO, Mock is not a player that scores very well when he has to create his own shot. When he scores well, it is a play created by someone else (e.g: pick & roll, alley oop, catch & dunk, offensive rebs).

Get out of town.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » April 14th, 2015, 11:32 am

Cdizzle wrote:
uniftw wrote:

Get out of town.

Novel idea, I realize.

Maybe having the guy with one of the best offensive effency ratings in the league over the last decade, the second best shooting % (only behind an All American/league POY), etc... take more shots would be great. Rather than a guy with the 8th best shooting % on the team hoisting more than 30% of your teams shots and over 300 more than your next highest

Then again, what would UNI or WSU fans (who say the same thing) know about a winning team?
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » April 14th, 2015, 6:54 pm

stl scooter wrote:UE led the MVC in scoring and FG%, why would anyone think there is a problem with their offense?

Evansville's offensive efficiency was 114th per KenPom.

Fourth in the Valley, and barely ahead of Drake and Loyola.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UEACES80 » April 14th, 2015, 9:39 pm

Ever think that opposing teams focus so much on DJ / Colt / Jason Holsinger / Shy Ely etc that it increases the FG % of the other players by creating good looks for them. Not saying Marty is a genius but it is his team and his offense of choice.
UEACES80
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby glm38 » April 15th, 2015, 2:46 am

I don't agree with that. True like a lot of big men Mock isn't a great ball handler and doesn't create off the dribble like a Tuttle. But when he gets the ball on the low block in a 1:1 situation I think he scores very well with some pretty nice post moves.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » April 15th, 2015, 8:16 am

UEACES80 wrote:Ever think that opposing teams focus so much on DJ / Colt / Jason Holsinger / Shy Ely etc that it increases the FG % of the other players by creating good looks for them. Not saying Marty is a genius but it is his team and his offense of choice.

I know I thought that. I focused on it so much that I almost didn't notice that this genius gameplan led to a 57-87 record in the league over the last 8 seasons with a best finish of a 5-way tie for 3rd.

I think at this point it's been pretty well proven that the system works. It just works in a slightly less than 50% kind of way, against marginal competition.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » April 15th, 2015, 11:17 am

Cdizzle wrote:
UEACES80 wrote:Ever think that opposing teams focus so much on DJ / Colt / Jason Holsinger / Shy Ely etc that it increases the FG % of the other players by creating good looks for them. Not saying Marty is a genius but it is his team and his offense of choice.

I know I thought that. I focused on it so much that I almost didn't notice that this genius gameplan led to a 57-87 record in the league over the last 8 seasons with a best finish of a 5-way tie for 3rd.

I think at this point it's been pretty well proven that the system works. It just works in a slightly less than 50% kind of way, against marginal competition.

I've got a theory I'm going to test later this week.

Evansville's best games/wins are when there is the most diverse scoring.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby stl scooter » April 15th, 2015, 12:38 pm

Trust me, UE fans would love to see 4-5 players average double figures.
A couple points:
Gibson & Moore shoot a high fg%, but rarely take shots outside of the 3' circle.

Wing had a high fg%, but rarely took shots (frustrating for UE fans) outside of the lane.

A couple times every game, DJ received passes with less than 5 seconds on the shot clock & not anywhere near a 'scoring position.' Kind of hurts efficiency rating.

I think their success will come from improvements on the defensive end.

Just opinions...not being "pissy."
The preceding lesson in basketball is free of charge.
stl scooter
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball