Who is predicted 2nd next year?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Who is predicted 2nd next year?

Postby Championz » May 4th, 2015, 11:51 pm

Redbird Recon wrote:All things considered, Muller just hit a home run.

I smell another first place vote coming.
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BTbird » May 5th, 2015, 9:00 am

Quintin didn't make 1st, 2nd and 3rd team in the MEAC. Not that I've seen him play or anything but I would guess that he is going to be a role player. I think the replacement of Reggie is going to come from the combination of the other players stepping up.
http://www.meacsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=20800&ATCLID=209930952
BTbird
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby jwa123 » May 5th, 2015, 5:59 pm

Wufan wrote:
Rollbird5 wrote:
Wufan wrote:Great signing! You didn't come close to replacing Reggie.

I'm hoping the combination of Brewer and Ndiaye can come close.

No. Muller did well dealing with the loss, but no.

but we love our red koolaid.
jwa123
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby rlh04d » May 8th, 2015, 10:47 am

The addition of Grady to WSU just made the likely gap between 1 and 2 pretty ridiculous. If everything clicks for WSU this coming season, and people stay healthy, this is a national championship caliber team. Grady was the one thing WSU needed: an effective, experienced big.

I can see a starting lineup with FVV, Baker, Wessel, Grady, and Shaq. And that leaves a top 50 recruit, and three? top 150 recruits coming off the bench. And Bush, who started to look strong at the end.

Going to be a fun team to watch when they aren't playing your teams.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » May 8th, 2015, 11:44 am

Grady was a top 10 transfer. That would leave a top 50 (Frankamp) and three more top 100s (Brown, Shamet, and McDuffie) off the bench. Taylor, Hamilton, Kelly, and Nurger were only 3* top 200s. Wamukota was a top 25 JUCO.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Rollbird5 » May 8th, 2015, 11:57 am

Wouldn't be surprised if Wsu runs the table in conference now , great addition to an already strong team!
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » May 8th, 2015, 12:19 pm

Rollbird5 wrote:Wouldn't be surprised if Wsu runs the table in conference now , great addition to an already strong team!

I think WSU could be scary good next year, like preseason Final 4 and National Championship aspirations aren't all hot air good (not that I think they should be favorites or that anyone should 'expect' that, but it isn't completely unrealistic to see it happening when you look at the roster). But going 18-0 is ridiculous. Especially because I really expect ISUr, UNI, UE and Loyola to be pretty decent to quite good teams next year. When you start having 6-10 decent to tough games with half of them on the road, plus another 4-5 road games you have to not screw up, going undefeated is pretty silly.

I do think winning in excess of 15 games in league again just became more likely thought. It would make for 4 times in 5 years if it did happen.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » May 8th, 2015, 12:29 pm

Cdizzle wrote:But going 18-0 is ridiculous.

18-0 isn't a reasonable expectation, but it's also not ridiculous. We're 35-1 in the last two seasons. We went 17-1 with only five players with D1 experience going into last season, in a league with another top 15 team and multiple top 100 teams.

I would never bet on WSU going 18-0, but I'm not betting against it, either. Anywhere from 15-3 to 17-1 are very realistic bets, and I'd put 18-0 much more likely than 14-4. My personal expectation in conference just went from 16-2 to 17-1.

In all seriousness, take FVV/Baker/Wessel/Grady/Shaq off this team, and I'd still expect WSU to be top four or better.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Rollbird5 » May 8th, 2015, 12:43 pm

rlh04d wrote:

18-0 isn't a reasonable expectation, but it's also not ridiculous. We're 35-1 in the last two seasons. We went 17-1 with only five players with D1 experience going into last season, in a league with another top 15 team and multiple top 100 teams.

I would never bet on WSU going 18-0, but I'm not betting against it, either. Anywhere from 15-3 to 17-1 are very realistic bets, and I'd put 18-0 much more likely than 14-4. My personal expectation in conference just went from 16-2 to 17-1.

In all seriousness, take FVV/Baker/Wessel/Grady/Shaq off this team, and I'd still expect WSU to be top four or better.

What rlh04d said is what I was thinking. Went 17-1 last year and I'd say this team will be better than last years even with losing Cotton so it could likely happen. If the highly touted freshman get adjusted to D-1 ball, learn the system, and gain Marshall's trust and the sophomores take a step forward this team is going to be scary good, come selection sunday wsu is one of the last names people will want to see on their side of the bracket. Hopefully a couple other of us mvc teams can see our names that day too :D
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » May 8th, 2015, 1:01 pm

Rollbird5 wrote:
rlh04d wrote:

What rlh04d said is what I was thinking. Went 17-1 last year and I'd say this team will be better than last years even with losing Cotton so it could likely happen. If the highly touted freshman get adjusted to D-1 ball, learn the system, and gain Marshall's trust and the sophomores take a step forward this team is going to be scary good, come selection sunday wsu is one of the last names people will want to see on their side of the bracket. Hopefully a couple other of us mvc teams can see our names that day too :D

I think the fact that we're 35-1 in the last 2 seasons is, in itself, ridiculous. So I still think going 18-0 would be ridiculous, but like you wouldn't bet against it.

I also think think WSU has a chance to be better than they were last year, but I also think there will be more good competition in the league --- maybe not at the very top like UNI last year, but more depth in the "good" category. That just provides more opportunities for slips, as well as other teams being capable of a high-performance game that gets them a win.

We shall see. Hopefully several teams deliver in the non-conference to set up an intriguing league race.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball