Who is predicted 2nd next year?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Who is predicted 2nd next year?

Postby Championz » May 10th, 2015, 5:33 pm

And for the record, glm, you are by far the most likable Bears fan around. You've hung though when your team has dipped. You're knowledgable and informative. And you sound like a pretty reasonable person. So please don't take my previous post too hard as it was more directed at Big Papa's pop-off.
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby glm38 » May 10th, 2015, 6:04 pm

Championz wrote:And for the record, glm, you are by far the most likable Bears fan around. You've hung though when your team has dipped. You're knowledgable and informative. And you sound like a pretty reasonable person. So please don't take my previous post too hard as it was more directed at Big Papa's pop-off.

Haha "dip" is a pretty charitable term for what the Bears have done the last few years. It's pretty depressing being a bears fan right now. I do think we'll right the ship in the next few years.

Just for the record I have to admit at the time I mostly agreed with Bearz prediction. I thought our 2 players would at least be the equal of Baker and VanVleet as ridiculous as that sounds now. In both our defense Thurman and Marshall looked like studs that first year. And that first year VanVleet was a backup and Baker was injured a good part of the year. It was obvious they were both very good but I don't think even most Shockers fans thought they would turn into All Americans did they?
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » May 10th, 2015, 9:59 pm

PapaBear wrote:WSU has had a nice run--and it looks to continue--good for them. I used to pull for them (when they were not playing against us)--but I can no longer do that. Many (if not most) of their fan base have rubbed me the wrong way (on here and at St Louis)--not the least bit humble and way too full of themselves. So---I will no longer pull for them--but just to make all you Shox fans here happy---yes--your team is soo good--nobody in the Valley can come close--you are amazing--best recruits ever-- :Yea!: we are not worthy :bow:

I don't--think you--understand what a--hyphen--is.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » May 10th, 2015, 10:02 pm

glm38 wrote:It was obvious they were both very good but I don't think even most Shockers fans thought they would turn into All Americans did they?

Honestly, I thought Fred Van Vleet was going to be an All American since the day I saw his high school tape for the first time. I've never, before or since, seen so many just flat out smart plays from a high school player. And I've never been that excited about an incoming recruit. WSU has some good recruits coming in this year, but I'm not obsessed with any of them the way I immediately became about FVV. I didn't think he'd be as good of a defensive player as he's become, though.

Baker's the one that surprised me. I heard a lot of talk about him from other WSU fans, and he certainly looked good at the start of the season before his injury ... but so did Wessel. I never expected him to become as good as he has. He really opened his game up from a perimeter shooter to the all-around player he is now.

I try to learn what I can about the incoming recruits and send my grandfather an email about them every year, since his info is limited to the newspaper. I sent him an email on November 4th, 2012, raving about Van Vleet. My comment on Baker was just "good three point shooter" ... d'oh.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » May 11th, 2015, 10:27 am

stl scooter wrote:
bleach wrote:2nd this year?
Should be Aces but won't be (Marties system).
Redbirds....loss of Lynch makes this much less likely.
UNI....Jake makes this much more likely.
Loyola....doubtful but possible just because of one special player.

Prediction....UNI.

I'm curious why it "should be Aces?"
Most Valley fans have said that the only Ace(s) they would trade to have on their team would be Egidijus or maybe DJ.
If you use VerbalCommits.com as a template, only 2 players for the Aces received a ranking above 2 stars (lowest). UE almost never wins recruiting battles with other Valley teams. When the Aces sign a player, he chooses them over Horizon, MAC, or OVC teams.
My point is, with very little talent each year, if the Aces finish in the top 5, it would be because of Marty's system.
It has more to do with questions surrounding the other programs (UNI and ISUr) more than Evansville actually impressing anyone.

If Lynch hadn't left Illinois State or UNI had a more seasoned post player returning with Tuttle leaving there would be zero chance UE would be in realistic preseason discussion for top 2.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdmanBB » May 11th, 2015, 11:53 am

I still think Illinois State should be the pre-season #2, but with Lynch leaving it's simply going to mean tougher sledding. I think the biggest factor with him leaving isn't so much his stat line, but the X factor he provided in that he had to be accounted for by whoever we were playing via double teams and offensive game plans against the birds. That said, he was still prone to foul trouble which was a big negative. Hopefully what we are bringing in will be adequate, but regardless it's just going to be tougher to win games because of the X factor he provided. There is still a lot of promise with the development of our younger talent. I really like the way Paris Lee has been progressing. I think he is one of the best PG's in the conference and very overshadowed because FVV is such a good player. One consistency with good teams in the NCAA is a really solid PG and I think Lee will keep getting better.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » May 11th, 2015, 11:56 am

BirdmanBB wrote:I still think Illinois State should be the pre-season #2, but with Lynch leaving it's simply going to mean tougher sledding. I think the biggest factor with him leaving isn't so much his stat line, but the X factor he provided in that he had to be accounted for by whoever we were playing via double teams and offensive game plans against the birds. That said, he was still prone to foul trouble which was a big negative. Hopefully what we are bringing in will be adequate, but regardless it's just going to be tougher to win games because of the X factor he provided. There is still a lot of promise with the development of our younger talent. I really like the way Paris Lee has been progressing. I think he is one of the best PG's in the conference and very overshadowed because FVV is such a good player. One consistency with good teams in the NCAA is a really solid PG and I think Lee will keep getting better.

:+1:
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jackwagon » May 11th, 2015, 12:18 pm

i've got Evansville. Returning everyone and talented bigs coming in to help Mock. Their PG spot worries me, everywhere else is solid with depth. Ill. St. losing both Lynch and Jones at center is tough to replace. I agree that Lee is underrated, but losing a very productive guard in Knight is being undervalued as well. Loyola has a ??? mark in the front court, but their group of wings gives them a chance to achieve 2nd. Jacobson is a fabulous coach and they return a nice core of talent. Indiana State is not getting enough of a look either. Their 1-3 spots are as solid as anyone not named Wichita State and they bring in one of the best kept secrets in PF Matt Van Sycoc. Getting quality minutes at the 5 will be their big ?? as well. I could see any of these teams winding up 2nd but as of now give me Evansville.
jackwagon
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Rollbird5 » May 11th, 2015, 6:39 pm

[quote="jackwagon"]i've got Evansville. Returning everyone and talented bigs coming in to help Mock. Their PG spot worries me, everywhere else is solid with depth.

Hope they are good at setting screens for DJ cuz that's all they'll be doing lol
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Postby PapaBear » May 11th, 2015, 8:16 pm

rlh04d wrote:
PapaBear wrote:WSU has had a nice run--and it looks to continue--good for them. I used to pull for them (when they were not playing against us)--but I can no longer do that. Many (if not most) of their fan base have rubbed me the wrong way (on here and at St Louis)--not the least bit humble and way too full of themselves. So---I will no longer pull for them--but just to make all you Shox fans here happy---yes--your team is soo good--nobody in the Valley can come close--you are amazing--best recruits ever-- :Yea!: we are not worthy :bow:

I don't--think you--understand what a--hyphen--is.

"A" hyphen - Multiple hyphens --- :wave:
Bear down
PapaBear
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball