Who is predicted 2nd next year?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Who is predicted 2nd next year?

Postby Wufan » May 8th, 2015, 9:10 pm

Nm
Last edited by Wufan on May 9th, 2015, 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Redbird Recon » May 9th, 2015, 7:29 am

Wufan wrote:It's been an exciting time to be a Shocker for the last several years! This years recruiting class is excellent! Serious question: on paper, does any team have better transfers coming in or becoming eligible than Conner Frankamp or Anton Grady? I know that some players will certainly perform better than paper would have you believe and there's no garunteed that any WSU players will perform. Does anyone have better freshman on paper than Landry Shamet or Markis McDuffie?

"Do you have nicer cars than me? I have a list of the nicest cars. I see we own a couple. I also see you don't, but I figured I'd ask anyway."
Twitter: @RedbirdRecon
Blog: redbirdrecon.blogspot.com
Redbird Recon
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » May 9th, 2015, 7:37 am

Nm
Last edited by Wufan on May 9th, 2015, 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redbird Recon » May 9th, 2015, 7:38 am

Wufan wrote:
Redbird Recon wrote:
Wufan wrote:It's been an exciting time to be a Shocker for the last several years! This years recruiting class is excellent! Serious question: on paper, does any team have better transfers coming in or becoming eligible than Conner Frankamp or Anton Grady? I know that some players will certainly perform better than paper would have you believe and there's no garunteed that any WSU players will perform. Does anyone have better freshman on paper than Landry Shamet or Markis McDuffie?

"Do you have nicer cars than me? I have a list of the nicest cars. I see we own a couple. I also see you don't, but I figured I'd ask anyway."

I understand the response. It was an honest question. I follow WSU recruiting much closer than the rest of the Valley. Some good talent is coming in, but I'm not as familiar with what others have in the wings. I'm truly curious if there are other similar talents coming in.

No one else has recruits rated as high as Wichita's. Loyola had a top 150 guy who decommitted.
And I don't believe for a second that you didn't know the answer to that question already.
Twitter: @RedbirdRecon
Blog: redbirdrecon.blogspot.com
Redbird Recon
All MVC
All MVC

Postby glm38 » May 9th, 2015, 10:10 am

Anton Grady: 6-8, 225 lb senior F/C. Averaged 14 and 8 with 2 assists, 1.5 blocks, and 1.5 steals for Cleveland State in the Horizon. All-Defesive team. Eligible immediately.

Conner Frankamp: 6-1, 180 lb sophomore guard. Averaged 27 points, 4 assists, 4 rebounds, 1 block, and 2 steals for his 4 year varsity high school career. Career shooting percentage, all four years in the Wichita City League, 55% from the field, 48% from 3, and 91% from the stripe. Lead U17 Team USA in scoring over players such as Stanley Johnson, Tyus Jones, Dekari Johnson, Jahili Okafor, and Jabari Parker. Had unassuming stats as a freshman at KU. Eligible December 12, 2015.

Markis McDuffie: 6-8, 190 lb freshman Wing. ESPN top 100, and Rivals and 247Sports top 150. Played for top prep team and lead them in scoring and rebounding. True inside/outside player.

Landry Shamet: 6-4, 180 lb freshman guard. Won Missouri All-Star slam dunk contest, and averaged 18, 4 and 4 in KC. Ranked top 100 by Rivals and top 150 by 247Sports. Marshall stated he was a combination of Toure Murry and Ron Baker.

I usually like and respect your posts. This one is kind of over the top though.

It's not sour grapes. I actually like, respect, and follow the Shockers closely. I'm glad for their recent phenomenal success.

But comparing their recruiting to the rest of the Valley when it's already clear no one comes close to matching them? I just don't see the point other than to rub it in opposing fans faces.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby SHOXMVC » May 9th, 2015, 11:27 am

rlh04d wrote:
Wufan wrote:
rlh04d wrote:In all seriousness, take FVV/Baker/Wessel/Grady/Shaq off this team, and I'd still expect WSU to be top four or better.

Removing those players, WSU would probably start:

G: Frankamp (top 50)
G: Shamet (top 100)
G/F: Brown (top 100)
F: Kelly (top 150)
C: Wamukota (top 25 JUCO)

Bring off the bench:

G:Taylor (top 200)
G/F: McDuffie (top 100)
F: Hamilton (top 200)
C: Nurger (top 200)

Hard to say how that team would do, but there's no shortage of talent.

I'd start Wamukota, but I still likely wouldn't play him more than 20 mpg in that lineup. I'd probably run a smaller lineup with Kelly/Hamilton at the five and McDuffie at the 4 a lot of the time. But it would depend on how much offense Kelly could provide, since I don't see Bush providing much.

The real issue I'd have with that team would be whether or not CF could handle PG duties. If he could, it's definitely a top half team.

I see Bush-Wam playing about the same role and time on the floor as last year. He most certainly won't start, although in Marshall's system it's not that big of deal, and he will not even almost play 20 minutes. The skill set up front is just too wide for him to overcome to play more than 10-12 minutes per game IMO. I see WSU playing the equivalent of 2 PF's at the 4/5 the majority of the time. There are so many combinations of 6-7 to 6-9 players WSU can throw into the mix. Then you have Bush-Wam and Nurger at 6-10 and bigger.
SHOXMVC
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby bleach » May 9th, 2015, 11:38 am

2nd this year?
Should be Aces but won't be (Marties system).
Redbirds....loss of Lynch makes this much less likely.
UNI....Jake makes this much more likely.
Loyola....doubtful but possible just because of one special player.

Prediction....UNI.
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Postby rlh04d » May 9th, 2015, 3:10 pm

SHOXMVC wrote:I see Bush-Wam playing about the same role and time on the floor as last year. He most certainly won't start, although in Marshall's system it's not that big of deal, and he will not even almost play 20 minutes. The skill set up front is just too wide for him to overcome to play more than 10-12 minutes per game IMO. I see WSU playing the equivalent of 2 PF's at the 4/5 the majority of the time. There are so many combinations of 6-7 to 6-9 players WSU can throw into the mix. Then you have Bush-Wam and Nurger at 6-10 and bigger.

It really wouldn't surprise me if he does "start," but that would be more about the opening tip than anything else.

I think he'll get some good minutes in when they're needed: against teams with bigger, offensive threats inside. Considering the quality minutes he gave us against UNI and KU, I could see him being a big deal against Utah.

But no, the only way he'd touch 20 minutes is if you took the entire current starting lineup off the team.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PapaBear » May 10th, 2015, 9:46 am

glm38 wrote:

Anton Grady: 6-8, 225 lb senior F/C. Averaged 14 and 8 with 2 assists, 1.5 blocks, and 1.5 steals for Cleveland State in the Horizon. All-Defesive team. Eligible immediately.

Conner Frankamp: 6-1, 180 lb sophomore guard. Averaged 27 points, 4 assists, 4 rebounds, 1 block, and 2 steals for his 4 year varsity high school career. Career shooting percentage, all four years in the Wichita City League, 55% from the field, 48% from 3, and 91% from the stripe. Lead U17 Team USA in scoring over players such as Stanley Johnson, Tyus Jones, Dekari Johnson, Jahili Okafor, and Jabari Parker. Had unassuming stats as a freshman at KU. Eligible December 12, 2015.

Markis McDuffie: 6-8, 190 lb freshman Wing. ESPN top 100, and Rivals and 247Sports top 150. Played for top prep team and lead them in scoring and rebounding. True inside/outside player.

Landry Shamet: 6-4, 180 lb freshman guard. Won Missouri All-Star slam dunk contest, and averaged 18, 4 and 4 in KC. Ranked top 100 by Rivals and top 150 by 247Sports. Marshall stated he was a combination of Toure Murry and Ron Baker.

I usually like and respect your posts. This one is kind of over the top though.

It's not sour grapes. I actually like, respect, and follow the Shockers closely. I'm glad for their recent phenomenal success.

But comparing their recruiting to the rest of the Valley when it's already clear no one comes close to matching them? I just don't see the point other than to rub it in opposing fans faces.

WSU has had a nice run--and it looks to continue--good for them. I used to pull for them (when they were not playing against us)--but I can no longer do that. Many (if not most) of their fan base have rubbed me the wrong way (on here and at St Louis)--not the least bit humble and way too full of themselves. So---I will no longer pull for them--but just to make all you Shox fans here happy---yes--your team is soo good--nobody in the Valley can come close--you are amazing--best recruits ever-- :Yea!: we are not worthy :bow:
Last edited by PapaBear on May 10th, 2015, 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bear down
PapaBear
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby stl scooter » May 10th, 2015, 12:35 pm

bleach wrote:2nd this year?
Should be Aces but won't be (Marties system).
Redbirds....loss of Lynch makes this much less likely.
UNI....Jake makes this much more likely.
Loyola....doubtful but possible just because of one special player.

Prediction....UNI.

I'm curious why it "should be Aces?"
Most Valley fans have said that the only Ace(s) they would trade to have on their team would be Egidijus or maybe DJ.
If you use VerbalCommits.com as a template, only 2 players for the Aces received a ranking above 2 stars (lowest). UE almost never wins recruiting battles with other Valley teams. When the Aces sign a player, he chooses them over Horizon, MAC, or OVC teams.
My point is, with very little talent each year, if the Aces finish in the top 5, it would be because of Marty's system.
The preceding lesson in basketball is free of charge.
stl scooter
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball