WSU next year

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: WSU next year

Postby glm38 » May 11th, 2015, 7:45 pm

wgslaw wrote:I think the question is whether you have the talent to play at the elite 8 or final 4 level ?

At PG, with FVV, Frankampt and Taylor, the answer is yes. At SG, with Baker and Shamet (who I am high on), the answer is yes. At SF, with Brown, Wessel and McDuffie, the answer is yes. At PF, with Grady, Morris and Kelly, the answer is yes.

At C, with Bush, Nurger and Hamilton, you have the question mark. At the 8/4 level you will play dominant post men who are athletic or are skilled 6'10-7'. Can we hold are own? I don't think we could have last year. A 6'7 or 6'8 kid is not going to cut it. How those 3 develop will determine our ceiling.

Doesn't mean that if you have all the boxes checked, you can't lose early. E.G. see Virginia in 2015. Nor does it mean that you cannot overcome some deficiency. E.G. see WSU in 2013. But it terms of a realistic shot, you need the big man.

I figured Grady would play quite a bit at the 5?
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Wufan » May 11th, 2015, 8:13 pm

glm38 wrote:
wgslaw wrote:I think the question is whether you have the talent to play at the elite 8 or final 4 level ?

At PG, with FVV, Frankampt and Taylor, the answer is yes. At SG, with Baker and Shamet (who I am high on), the answer is yes. At SF, with Brown, Wessel and McDuffie, the answer is yes. At PF, with Grady, Morris and Kelly, the answer is yes.

At C, with Bush, Nurger and Hamilton, you have the question mark. At the 8/4 level you will play dominant post men who are athletic or are skilled 6'10-7'. Can we hold are own? I don't think we could have last year. A 6'7 or 6'8 kid is not going to cut it. How those 3 develop will determine our ceiling.

Doesn't mean that if you have all the boxes checked, you can't lose early. E.G. see Virginia in 2015. Nor does it mean that you cannot overcome some deficiency. E.G. see WSU in 2013. But it terms of a realistic shot, you need the big man.

I figured Grady would play quite a bit at the 5?

That's where he played at CSU, but the 4 would be better. It depends on how Shaq, Nurger, Wamukota progress versus Kelly, Hamilton, McDuffie. I imagine Grady will fill in where most appropriate.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » May 12th, 2015, 4:58 am

glm38 wrote:I figured Grady would play quite a bit at the 5?

I'm assuming he'll be more of a four to Shaq at the five, but also playing the five. We'll see. He's more mobile and with some perimeter game than Shaq, while Shaq is a much better rim protector.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » May 13th, 2015, 6:51 pm

If the rumors I see about current WSU recruiting are true ... it's not even fair to be in this conference competing with Marshall right now.

I'd also change my personal prediction to 18-0 if so.
Last edited by rlh04d on May 13th, 2015, 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » May 13th, 2015, 6:55 pm

rlh04d wrote:If the rumors I see about current WSU recruiting are true ... it's not even fair to be in this conference competing with Marshall right now.

While the recruitment is factual, it's still rumor and conjecture as to whether or not he will put on a Shocker uniform next year or ever.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » May 13th, 2015, 6:56 pm

Wufan wrote:
rlh04d wrote:If the rumors I see about current WSU recruiting are true ... it's not even fair to be in this conference competing with Marshall right now.

While the recruitment is factual, it's still rumor and conjecture as to whether or not he will put on a Shocker uniform next year or ever.

Yep. Although I've seen enough that I'm taking it as a bit more than rumor and conjecture at this point.

Knowing we're recruiting someone doesn't get me excited. Knowing someone visited recently, a little. This has me very excited.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ShoxNAwe » May 13th, 2015, 8:04 pm

GM was dropping hints today that something big could be in our future.
ShoxNAwe
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby AndShock » May 13th, 2015, 8:09 pm

rlh04d wrote:
Wufan wrote:

Yep. Although I've seen enough that I'm taking it as a bit more than rumor and conjecture at this point.

Knowing we're recruiting someone doesn't get me excited. Knowing someone visited recently, a little. This has me very excited.

I'm taking it as fact that there is mutual interest. But even with the mutual interest, we don't know if he will be able to reclassify or not. I have no idea what the chances of that are. 60/40? 10/90? It seems like no one knows for sure. Then if he reclassifies, what are the chances that some blue blood swoops in and takes him right out from under us. Seems like there is still a long way to go, even if we are the odds-on favorite.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redbird Recon » May 14th, 2015, 7:56 am

Are Shocker fans high on Nurger? I liked what he brought early last season. I thought he moved well.
Twitter: @RedbirdRecon
Blog: redbirdrecon.blogspot.com
Redbird Recon
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Stickboy46 » May 14th, 2015, 8:03 am

I think Nurger needs another year of bulking up before he can be a true contributor. All the fundamentals are there, he just gets pushed around too much.

If the rumors come true about the other recruit, WSU will instantly be top 3-5 in the country
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball