WSU next year

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: WSU next year

Postby Wufan » April 23rd, 2015, 4:15 am

wgslaw wrote:Thanks for the name help WU. Would be interested in how you see the sophs/frosh. One of the things that get overlooked is that all but 2 are prep school or redshirt transfers.

For the freshman, I think you were fairly spot on in your assessment. McDuffie and Shamet will unquestionably be the two most highly regarded freshman in the MVC next year. Hamilton and Taylor will arguably be the third and fourth most talented. It's hard to know how they will actually perform.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby rlh04d » April 23rd, 2015, 5:30 am

glm38 wrote:IMO unless WSU signs a talented big via transfer or juco - then Bush Wamukota will be a big key to their season. He really gives the Shockers a lot of size up front and I thought he showed some flashes of good play in the middle this past year. Can he build on that?

Also can Shaq man the 4 spot? He obviously has the talent but doesn't always play to his potential. I remember seeing him in the game in Springfield and he was struggling to get up and down the floor showing obvious conditioning issues. But if Shaq can't handle it I do think they have some other options at the 4.

I'm a lot more confident on Shaq than Bush. Shaq clearly didn't take the conditioning program in the offseason as seriously as he should have, or really much of the first half of the season in general. His mindset changed around the second half of the season, and I expect him to be much better this offseason. At least as long as he has FVV on him ... all bets are off on his work ethic without FVV pushing him.

Bush is a giant question mark. He has the ability to be a major contributor, and he played his best games against the best competition, which seems like his issue is focus to me. But we'll see I guess. I think he can be big this year.

And I don't see Shaq playing the 4 much at all. It'll be a two-man 5 spot rotation with Shaq and Bush, unless Nurger has a tremendous offseason. If Shaq is playing the 4 more than just to spell another player for a minute here or there, WSU's going to be a monster, because that means both Bush and Nurger are playing well. Or maybe Hamilton, but I think Shaq's a more natural 5.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » May 9th, 2015, 10:21 am

Wow Grady sure looks like a great addition and just what the Shockers needed. IMO if he stays healthy and a couple of the young bigs progress then WSU should be a top 10 type team again.

Obviously I don't think anyone from the Valley can challenge them this year.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby wgslaw » May 11th, 2015, 1:00 pm

I think the question is whether you have the talent to play at the elite 8 or final 4 level ?

At PG, with FVV, Frankampt and Taylor, the answer is yes. At SG, with Baker and Shamet (who I am high on), the answer is yes. At SF, with Brown, Wessel and McDuffie, the answer is yes. At PF, with Grady, Morris and Kelly, the answer is yes.

At C, with Bush, Nurger and Hamilton, you have the question mark. At the 8/4 level you will play dominant post men who are athletic or are skilled 6'10-7'. Can we hold are own? I don't think we could have last year. A 6'7 or 6'8 kid is not going to cut it. How those 3 develop will determine our ceiling.

Doesn't mean that if you have all the boxes checked, you can't lose early. E.G. see Virginia in 2015. Nor does it mean that you cannot overcome some deficiency. E.G. see WSU in 2013. But it terms of a realistic shot, you need the big man.
wgslaw
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby glm38 » May 11th, 2015, 7:45 pm

wgslaw wrote:I think the question is whether you have the talent to play at the elite 8 or final 4 level ?

At PG, with FVV, Frankampt and Taylor, the answer is yes. At SG, with Baker and Shamet (who I am high on), the answer is yes. At SF, with Brown, Wessel and McDuffie, the answer is yes. At PF, with Grady, Morris and Kelly, the answer is yes.

At C, with Bush, Nurger and Hamilton, you have the question mark. At the 8/4 level you will play dominant post men who are athletic or are skilled 6'10-7'. Can we hold are own? I don't think we could have last year. A 6'7 or 6'8 kid is not going to cut it. How those 3 develop will determine our ceiling.

Doesn't mean that if you have all the boxes checked, you can't lose early. E.G. see Virginia in 2015. Nor does it mean that you cannot overcome some deficiency. E.G. see WSU in 2013. But it terms of a realistic shot, you need the big man.

I figured Grady would play quite a bit at the 5?
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » May 11th, 2015, 8:13 pm

glm38 wrote:
wgslaw wrote:I think the question is whether you have the talent to play at the elite 8 or final 4 level ?

I figured Grady would play quite a bit at the 5?

That's where he played at CSU, but the 4 would be better. It depends on how Shaq, Nurger, Wamukota progress versus Kelly, Hamilton, McDuffie. I imagine Grady will fill in where most appropriate.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » May 12th, 2015, 4:58 am

glm38 wrote:I figured Grady would play quite a bit at the 5?

I'm assuming he'll be more of a four to Shaq at the five, but also playing the five. We'll see. He's more mobile and with some perimeter game than Shaq, while Shaq is a much better rim protector.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » May 13th, 2015, 6:51 pm

If the rumors I see about current WSU recruiting are true ... it's not even fair to be in this conference competing with Marshall right now.

I'd also change my personal prediction to 18-0 if so.
Last edited by rlh04d on May 13th, 2015, 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » May 13th, 2015, 6:55 pm

rlh04d wrote:If the rumors I see about current WSU recruiting are true ... it's not even fair to be in this conference competing with Marshall right now.

While the recruitment is factual, it's still rumor and conjecture as to whether or not he will put on a Shocker uniform next year or ever.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » May 13th, 2015, 6:56 pm

Wufan wrote:
rlh04d wrote:If the rumors I see about current WSU recruiting are true ... it's not even fair to be in this conference competing with Marshall right now.

While the recruitment is factual, it's still rumor and conjecture as to whether or not he will put on a Shocker uniform next year or ever.

Yep. Although I've seen enough that I'm taking it as a bit more than rumor and conjecture at this point.

Knowing we're recruiting someone doesn't get me excited. Knowing someone visited recently, a little. This has me very excited.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball