WSU next year

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

WSU next year

Postby glm38 » April 20th, 2015, 7:10 pm

I don't think there's any question WSU will be the class of the MVC next year. But I'm left wondering how good can they be?
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

WSU next year

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: WSU next year

Postby Rollbird5 » April 20th, 2015, 8:06 pm

Everybody has pretty lofty goals since it's Baker/Van Vleet/Wessel's last go around so I'd say anything less than a sweet sixteen would be disappointing but there's absolutely potential for another final four run depending on matchups and how players step into Cotton/Carter's starting roles and roles off the bench with the new recruits
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Postby AndShock » April 20th, 2015, 10:43 pm

There definitely isn't a ceiling for how good they can be next year. College basketball will be down as a whole and WSU will be better next year. Marshall has already said next year could be the best team yet. I don't particularly see how they will be better than the undefeated team, but I'm not one to doubt Marshall's words. A national championship is certainly possible and that is exactly what Marshall is shooting for.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redbird23 » April 21st, 2015, 7:46 am

16-2 in conference play and a round of 32 appearance
Ready for Arch Madness
Redbird23
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Cdizzle » April 21st, 2015, 8:46 am

Redbird23 wrote:16-2 in conference play and a round of 32 appearance

A very fine season indeed.

Also, 2 conference losses? More than the last 2 years combined? Ballsy.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby 2livewu » April 21st, 2015, 10:15 am

A lot depends on the last addition.

A quality big man would probably place them firmly in the preseason top 10. Combine that with just decent development from any 2 combo of Shaq, Kelly and Bush and you've got a much improved inside game vs last year on offense but especially on defense.

We'll never replace Cotton, but Frankamp is a lights out shooter and Zac Brown should be better.

With Marshall in control, I'm sure WSU will be a tough out for everyone on their schedule. They should imho compete, strongly, for a protected seed and with the departure of Lynch, should be odds on to win both MVC titles, barring the unexpected.

Baker is 41-2 against current Valley teams. Wessel is 46-2. VanVleet a modest 52-7 by comparison. With those 3, and a capable support staff, another year in the top 25 seems more likely than not for the Shocks.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Stickboy46 » April 21st, 2015, 11:08 am

Cdizzle wrote:

While that would be a dream season for just about any other MVC team, that would be slightly disappointing for WSU next year. Next year is a 18-0,17-1 type team with a minimum of a Sweet 16, and realistic chance at a FF/NC.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Redbird23 » April 21st, 2015, 11:32 am

Stickboy46 wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:

While that would be a dream season for just about any other MVC team, that would be slightly disappointing for WSU next year. Next year is a 18-0,17-1 type team with a minimum of a Sweet 16, and realistic chance at a FF/NC.

With Lynch gone I'm adding one more win to their Valley total. Hoping we can still get them in BloNo but I still think they get tripped up somewhere
Ready for Arch Madness
Redbird23
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Cdizzle » April 21st, 2015, 11:40 am

Redbird23 wrote:With Lynch gone I'm adding one more win to their Valley total. Hoping we can still get them in BloNo but I still think they get tripped up somewhere

Very likely. 18-0 is crazy-town. Even 17-1 is pretty freaking crazy in a true round-robin league of decent quality like the Valley.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » April 21st, 2015, 5:00 pm

2livewu wrote:A lot depends on the last addition.

A quality big man would probably place them firmly in the preseason top 10. Combine that with just decent development from any 2 combo of Shaq, Kelly and Bush and you've got a much improved inside game vs last year on offense but especially on defense.

We'll never replace Cotton, but Frankamp is a lights out shooter and Zac Brown should be better.

With Marshall in control, I'm sure WSU will be a tough out for everyone on their schedule. They should imho compete, strongly, for a protected seed and with the departure of Lynch, should be odds on to win both MVC titles, barring the unexpected.

Baker is 41-2 against current Valley teams. Wessel is 46-2. VanVleet a modest 52-7 by comparison. With those 3, and a capable support staff, another year in the top 25 seems more likely than not for the Shocks.

Good post. I think if the Shox add a quality big man as you say then it's possible they return to the final 4. I think a round of 32 finish would be disappointing in VanVleet and Baker's senior year.
Last edited by glm38 on April 22nd, 2015, 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball