Lynch - HE GONE!

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Lynch - HE GONE!

Postby Ricardo del Rio » April 21st, 2015, 10:11 am

ilstubirds250 wrote:
DUBulldog wrote:Second time in past 3 seasons that an MVC player has bolted for Minnesota very late in the school year; when it's probably too late to find a good replacement. Drake had a similar thing happen two years ago when Joey King bolted for Minnesota after assuring Drake's newly hired staff that he was definitely coming back.

The Big Ten recruits the MVC harder than any high school.

Yes, over the years, I have noticed the number of MVC players, who have transfered to the Big Ten.

The Lynch transfer is pretty crappy for ILS. Pretty crappy, indeed.

Here is his line in three games against the Shocks in the 14-15 season.

Rebounds: 6, 7, 8
Fouls: 5, 5, 5

I knew he fouled a lot, but not this much. Holy moly.
Last edited by Ricardo del Rio on April 21st, 2015, 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Rambler63 » April 21st, 2015, 10:13 am

That is a stunner. I'm a Loyola fan, but I live in Normal just a couple blocks from ISU campus and I hadn't heard anything about him being dissatisfied. A lot of the ISUr marketing of the team is based on him... the hair, the name "Reggie", the retro style, etc. Lynch wasn't going to be their top offensive player the next two years, but the team playing style was really built around his rim protection.
Rambler63
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby ilstubirds250 » April 21st, 2015, 10:23 am

Ricardo del Rio wrote:
ilstubirds250 wrote:
DUBulldog wrote:Second time in past 3 seasons that an MVC player has bolted for Minnesota very late in the school year; when it's probably too late to find a good replacement. Drake had a similar thing happen two years ago when Joey King bolted for Minnesota after assuring Drake's newly hired staff that he was definitely coming back.

The Big Ten recruits the MVC harder than any high school.

Yes, over the years, I have noticed the number of MVC players, who have transfered to the Big Ten.

The Lynch transfer is pretty crappy for ILS. Pretty crappy, indeed.

Here is his line in three games against the Shocks in the 14-15 season.

Rebounds: 6, 7, 8
Fouls: 5, 5, 5

I knew he fouled a lot, but not this much. Holy moly.

Yeah, I will NOT miss his stupid fouling.
ilstubirds250
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Redbird23 » April 21st, 2015, 10:57 am

One guy on Redbird fan mentioned this, it shows how immature players can be, Minnesota wanted nothing to do with Reg in AAU/High School he has two decent seasons at a smaller school and suddenly they come calling. Some of the Redbirds views on it...

@FlyingWithClair (DeVaughn Akoon-Purcell)
That's bogus, but its all good.

@_plee1 (Paris Lee)
We still have our same goals set! #Redbird4Life

PLEE is my favorite player, he's the true leader of this team and has been since he's been a Freshman. Paris is one of those Chicagoland kid's that want to stay at home and fix basketball in this state. Great young-man, leader, and basketball player.
Ready for Arch Madness
Redbird23
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby uniftw » April 21st, 2015, 11:00 am

Redbird23 wrote:One guy on Redbird fan mentioned this, it shows how immature players can be, Minnesota wanted nothing to do with Reg in AAU/High School he has two decent seasons at a smaller school and suddenly they come calling. Some of the Redbirds views on it...

To be fair how is that any different than a kid not being recruited out of high school but 2 decent years at a JUCO and then all of a sudden everyone wants him?

I realize ISU isn't JUCO, but that argument is kind of weak. I hope it means ISUr never takes a kid transfer (D1 or JUCO) they didn't recruit out of HS.

I've seen (more on the football side) kids not get any offer out of HS, but one week into practice at a JUCO get an offer (happened multiple times to kids at Iowa Western CC)
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » April 21st, 2015, 11:04 am

uniftw wrote:
Redbird23 wrote:One guy on Redbird fan mentioned this, it shows how immature players can be, Minnesota wanted nothing to do with Reg in AAU/High School he has two decent seasons at a smaller school and suddenly they come calling. Some of the Redbirds views on it...

To be fair how is that any different than a kid not being recruited out of high school but 2 decent years at a JUCO and then all of a sudden everyone wants him?

I realize ISU isn't JUCO, but that argument is kind of weak. I hope it means ISUr never takes a kid transfer (D1 or JUCO) they didn't recruit out of HS.

I've seen (more on the football side) kids not get any offer out of HS, but one week into practice at a JUCO get an offer (happened multiple times to kids at Iowa Western CC)

Right...this happens at all levels. It's a part of the game. Sucks though.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby hot nuts » April 21st, 2015, 11:57 am

As a Redbird fan I just see this as part of basketball. As for the players, coaches and athletic faculty...I suspect this is very disappointing considering how much of the theme these last few weeks has been on the Redbird community coming together as a family and growing closer and stronger than before. While I won't disparage Lynch for taking an greater opportunity (real or perceived), I certainly understand any hurt feeling with teammates and athletic department personnel. Unfortunate timing.
hot nuts
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Play Angry » April 21st, 2015, 12:02 pm

This sucks.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby ilstubirds250 » April 21st, 2015, 12:05 pm

uniftw wrote:

Agree for the most part, but isn't the point of JUCO to give the kids who aren't quite D1 ready a chance to improve? Illinois State (and tons and tons and tons of schools across the country) invest a 4-year scholarship in these guys just to watch them bolt for a "better" school. Unfortunate.
ilstubirds250
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby uniftw » April 21st, 2015, 12:08 pm

ilstubirds250 wrote:
uniftw wrote:

Agree for the most part, but isn't the point of JUCO to give the kids who aren't quite D1 ready a chance to improve? Illinois State (and tons and tons and tons of schools across the country) invest a 4-year scholarship in these guys just to watch them bolt for a "better" school. Unfortunate.

I noted the difference between JUCO and ISU (though provided examples of offers coming first week of practice freshman year)

Since we did ISU start offering 4 years scholarships?
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball