Aces next year

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Aces next year

Postby Wufan » May 9th, 2015, 10:34 am

Question for UE fans:

Any word on Wiley and the Nebraska transfer next year? I was extremely high on Wiley last year, but there were questions about his performance prior to the injury becoming known. Has anyone seen him play/practice? The Nebraska kid is 7-1 and though he really did little in Lincoln, he was highly regarded out of high school. Any word on how he has progressed?
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Aces next year

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Aces next year

Postby COUTEAU » May 10th, 2015, 2:17 pm

Wufan wrote:Question for UE fans:

Any word on Wiley and the Nebraska transfer next year? I was extremely high on Wiley last year, but there were questions about his performance prior to the injury becoming known. Has anyone seen him play/practice? The Nebraska kid is 7-1 and though he really did little in Lincoln, he was highly regarded out of high school. Any word on how he has progressed?

I'm probably not the correct person to replay to your inquiry, as I'm not that close to the program.
But, it appears to me that WW, may have bulked up quite nicely during his red-shirt season. Sergej, after battling EMO for a full season, could have only gotten better.

....just my 2 cents.... :bounce:

go aces
COUTEAU
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby pafan » May 10th, 2015, 8:46 pm

My impression of Sergej Vucetic is that he's a big man with a nice shooting touch but has slow footwork - compared to Mockevicius at least. I anticipate him being a bit player next season if Mockevicius stays healthy.

I'm not yet convinced Wiley will be a serious contributor either - UE has a glut of players who could play at the 4 spot (Adam Wing, David Howard, Wiley, Mislav Brzoja) and a head coach who
(a) has started a player 6'8" or taller at the 4 spot maybe 20 games in his 8 complete seasons at UE and
(b) tends to play senior players over less experienced players
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby sixth ace » May 11th, 2015, 7:54 pm

I would be surprise if anyone other than
Giddy
Wing
Simmons
DJ
Jaylon Brown

Starts next year. The bench will be deep and hopefully the 2 new Asst Coachs get thru to Marty what needs to
happen. Motion is a great offense but we have to have other players with the green light to shoot also. Perimeter play will be key for the Aces
ACES
ACES
ACES
I'M ONBOARD
sixth ace
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » May 11th, 2015, 8:10 pm

I'm conflicted. I really like the Aces line-up, but I'm not sure they can get over the hump. The same things that needed to happen last year (but didn't) need to happen this year. I think the PG position is fine with some upside. Mock in the post with the 7 footer and Howard backing him up will be very good. Balentine is extremely good despite all the crap he takes. Brzoja is a talent. Wing and Simmons are nice role players. Wiley needs to get into the action to complete this team.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Tom Servo » May 12th, 2015, 11:42 am

Wufan wrote:I'm conflicted. I really like the Aces line-up, but I'm not sure they can get over the hump. The same things that needed to happen last year (but didn't) need to happen this year. I think the PG position is fine with some upside. Mock in the post with the 7 footer and Howard backing him up will be very good. Balentine is extremely good despite all the crap he takes. Brzoja is a talent. Wing and Simmons are nice role players. Wiley needs to get into the action to complete this team.

Excellent post. Pretty much all Aces fans would agree 100% with this.

Wiley is the key, without him he can't finish 2nd and can't get to the tourney. We are good, but not good enough. He can't be a bust. Mislav also has to get more minutes and he has to become a better perimeter shooter. I honestly think, if those two things happen, we will finish 2nd. That's how close they are.

I too agree the PG spot is fine, as long as Brown and Gibson contiue to play agressively, as they did in the CIT. Jaylon Brown really stepped up in the CIT, hopefully he can carry that over into the season. He just needs to realize he can be a really big threat if he will take the open mid range shots.
Go Aces!
Tom Servo
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Wufan » May 13th, 2015, 6:23 pm

After looking at the other contenders, UE for second place seems attractive.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvcfan31 » May 23rd, 2015, 9:08 am

Has anyone ever considered Mislav taking over the pg position? He has the best ball handling and passing skills on the team. And the size to compete against the top level teams. Just my 2 cents.
mvcfan31
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Wufan » May 23rd, 2015, 9:14 am

mvcfan31 wrote:Has anyone ever considered Mislav taking over the pg position? He has the best ball handling and passing skills on the team. And the size to compete against the top level teams. Just my 2 cents.

He's a little slow. Point-forward seems okay. A UE team with Balentine, Brzoya, Wiley, and Mock (pick your PG) should be a top 50 team. You just know that Simmons will only start two of those guys though.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby stl scooter » June 19th, 2015, 5:43 pm

Here is a recent article about Wiley & Vucetic. Marty may play Vucetic (7'1") & Egidijus (6'10") at the same time.
http://www.courierpress.com/sports/ue/twin-towers-could-be-in-future-aces-lineups_91112982
My opinions...
Why he should:
1) It would give opponents something else to prepare for.
2) Egidijus gets a chance to show pro-scouts he can play / defend at the '4.'
Why he won't:
1) Marty always picks players that are quicker & smaller over taller & slower. Enough with the 6'4" power forwards already.
2) Marty (at times) gets 'set in stone' with his rotations. I hope the new assistants help break that habit.
The preceding lesson in basketball is free of charge.
stl scooter
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball