Redbirds Next Year

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Redbirds Next Year

Postby Cdizzle » May 13th, 2015, 12:02 pm

If some of the good players (Hawkins, McIntosh, etc.) make reasonable progression as one might expect, I think they should definitely be Top 50. May still threaten Top 25. Need a big to pan out, even just a little bit.

I believe ISUr will be good enough to compete at the top of the league next year, and to beat WSU on a given night. I'm not sure they'll be good/deep/consistent enough to do it over 18 games and truly push WSU for the league title. They are still my pick for 2nd. I think ISUr, UE, LUC, and UNI should all be Top 75 type teams next year. If those 4 plus WSU can perform well in the non-conference, it could be a great year for the league come March.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Wufan » May 13th, 2015, 5:00 pm

Redbird23 wrote:We'll be 2nd in Conference if DAP plays like he did at the end of the year, McIntosh stops playing like a freshman, Teddy averages around 12/13ppg, PLee continues his play, and a big averages around 8 (Brewer/Banyard,/Ndiaye). The big thing I believe is if our bench can provide scoring on a consistent basis, such as McCloud shooting like he did at the Arch, Wills bringing in solid minutes, and the freshman playing calm.

That's a lot of compensation for not having Lynch. Hard to tell what will unfold with so many reasons for pit optimism and doubt.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby WSpringsBird » May 13th, 2015, 5:55 pm

A lot of you guys watch more hoops than I do, but I think Lynch's absence will hurt us a lot. Second place seems like a big stretch to me. I would be delighted to be wrong about this.
WSpringsBird
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Redbird23 » May 14th, 2015, 10:19 am

WSpringsBird wrote:A lot of you guys watch more hoops than I do, but I think Lynch's absence will hurt us a lot. Second place seems like a big stretch to me. I would be delighted to be wrong about this.

I agree with you on this, but Lynch was never really on the court, less than half of the game
Ready for Arch Madness
Redbird23
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Redbird Recon » May 14th, 2015, 4:10 pm

Redbird23 wrote:
WSpringsBird wrote:A lot of you guys watch more hoops than I do, but I think Lynch's absence will hurt us a lot. Second place seems like a big stretch to me. I would be delighted to be wrong about this.

I agree with you on this, but Lynch was never really on the court, less than half of the game

Math, my friend. Math. Lynch played 22 mpg this past season.
Twitter: @RedbirdRecon
Blog: redbirdrecon.blogspot.com
Redbird Recon
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » May 14th, 2015, 6:14 pm

A tried and true fan phenomenon. As soon as a player graduates or even better, transfers, they become not nearly as good or important as when they were still on the team :)
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby stl scooter » May 14th, 2015, 7:14 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:A tried and true fan phenomenon. As soon as a player graduates or even better, transfers, they become not nearly as good or important as when they were still on the team :)

:+1:
The preceding lesson in basketball is free of charge.
stl scooter
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby WSpringsBird » May 14th, 2015, 7:19 pm

Redbird Recon wrote:
Redbird23 wrote:

Math, my friend. Math. Lynch played 22 mpg this past season.

Also, Jones was a really solid backup. Obviously he is gone, too.
WSpringsBird
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby glm38 » May 14th, 2015, 8:01 pm

Redbird23 wrote:

Even so he was frequently a force on the defensive end when he was in. Sometimes on offense too.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redbird Recon » May 14th, 2015, 9:10 pm

Reggie was good, and very few teams have a good center in the MVC. The only true 5 we have now is a freshman. Considering our recruiting coordinator/top recruiter died and our center left for the B1G, Muller brought in Quintin Brewer who should be able to hold his own. Will he be a strength? Probably not. But I do think he is quality asphalt for a massive pothole.

McIntosh and Hawkins were part-time good last year. If they can become full-time good, ISUred will be a top 50 team.

If I had to guess a starting 5:
Paris Lee - returning starter, B-level MVC PG
DeVaughn Akoon-Purcell - returning starter, 1st Team All-MVC talent
MiKyle McIntosh - key to ISU being a top 2 team
Teddy Hawkins - returning starter
Quintin Brewer - high motor rental
Twitter: @RedbirdRecon
Blog: redbirdrecon.blogspot.com
Redbird Recon
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext