Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Off season around the Valley

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Off season around the Valley

Postby glm38 » May 21st, 2015, 11:47 am

Very well done article. Thanks for posting the link.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » May 21st, 2015, 6:48 pm

Loyola could be pretty good next year, and have the opportunity, with the right big man, to make a splash nationally in 2016-17.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ahunte1 » May 23rd, 2015, 10:23 pm

Wufan wrote:Loyola could be pretty good next year, and have the opportunity, with the right big man, to make a splash nationally in 2016-17.

Not sure I'm quite ready to believe that, but I think the guys on the team believe it. I certainly agree about the big man being key. They have a good group of guards for this year, and it could be better next year with Custer eligible and Doyle as a senior.
ahunte1
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby DUBulldog » May 24th, 2015, 7:01 am

glm38 wrote:Very well done article. Thanks for posting the link.

Overall, very good info, but the Des Moines Register guy who gave the Drake info made some factual errors, and overall seems out of touch with what's happening at Drake.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Wufan » May 24th, 2015, 7:39 am

DUBulldog wrote:
glm38 wrote:Very well done article. Thanks for posting the link.

Overall, very good info, but the Des Moines Register guy who gave the Drake info made some factual errors, and overall seems out of touch with what's happening at Drake.

Please clarify for my education.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DUBulldog » May 24th, 2015, 8:35 am

Wufan wrote:
DUBulldog wrote:Overall, very good info, but the Des Moines Register guy who gave the Drake info made some factual errors, and overall seems out of touch with what's happening at Drake.

Please clarify for my education.

1. What was the team's major off-season issue that needed addressing?

Size and experience. The Bulldogs relied a lot on young guys last season, and it will be the same in 2015-16. One positive is the development of point guard Reed Timmer. He logged a lot of minutes as a freshman, and that should start to pay off next fall. 

2. Who was added to the roster for 2015-16 and how will the newcomers help?

You’ll hear some buzz on Dominik Olejniczak, a 7-foot player from Poland. He could give Drake some sort of presence in the post. Also, shooting guard Billy Wampler could see significant minutes. He may not be on Timmer’s level, though. 

3. Important departures?

Drake will miss Karl Madison, Gary Ricks Jr. and Jordan Daniels, but it’s still pretty loaded at the guard spot.

Timmer didn't play point guard the second half of the season, and his development occurred after he was moved from point guard to shooting guard. At this point, I think it is wrong to refer to him as a point guard. All signs point to him playing the 2 again this season.

Madison will be back next year. I know that Drake hasn't made any kind of official announcement that he was granted a 6th year, but it seems to be well known among fans, and he is listed on next season's roster on Drake's website.

He doesn't mention the two newcomers who are likely to have the most impact this season (Woodward and Abrahamson). Olejniczak isn't somebody that most Drake fans expect to have a big impact this season, although he has a lot of potential down the road. Wampler was more highly regarded coming in than anybody in Giacoletti's first recruiting class (including Timmer), so it might be premature to say that he's not at Timmer's level.

To me, the Des Moines Register writer comes across as somebody who really doesn't have a good feel for the Drake team.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Wufan » May 24th, 2015, 9:16 am

Thanks DUB!
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » May 25th, 2015, 5:15 pm

Some interesting info on ISUb. Who do Sycamore fans see playing the 3/4/5 and who's off the bench?

With Smith, Van Syoc, and Burnett all being prototypical 3s, will they all play the SF, or will Smith move to the PF and one of them move to the 2 guard?
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby stl scooter » May 26th, 2015, 7:24 am

The preceding lesson in basketball is free of charge.
stl scooter
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball