Which league do you root against most?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Which league do you root against most?

Postby Championz » June 26th, 2015, 7:01 am

Ali wrote:I'm as anti-McD as anyone but the reality is that the BE is the best non football league by far. They got six out of ten teams into the tournament despite flaming out. Because of their big city nature, they will always have eyeballs and it's the reason why FS1 is paying them like $500,000,000 for the rights. By mainstream you must mean ESPN because there was plenty of their games all over TV last year including Coach K's 1000th win. WSU would rename Koch arena "Woodfox Court" for a chance to play in that league.

Best non-football league by far? No.

Again, the reason they got that many teams in is because they're overrated, like I already stated. How many teams did they have in their first year? FS1 can pay them $20 billion for all I care. That doesn't mean anybody's watching. Fox is a joke (see U.S. Open).

If it took WSU to rename its court "Woodfox Court", I certainly hope they would pass on that league. It's not the ACC by any means. Is it better than the Valley? Well a lot of conferences are better than 90% of this league. Is it a Power conference like every Big East fan wants you to believe? Not even close.
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby AndShock » June 27th, 2015, 10:16 am

Ali wrote:
Championz wrote:
uniftw wrote:I forgot about the Big East. Never really paid attention to them in the past to the point of disliking them, but not I hope it turns out to be mostly a dud of a conference.

It pretty much already is a dud of a conference. Highly overrated by its members. Outside of Villanova, the schools haven't fared too well in the publicity department. And even Nova has had two quick NCAA exits in a row.

Their TV situation is beyond laughable. Nobody knows about FS1. Nobody cares about FS1. That's why you never see Big East teams being talked about on mainstream media. The Valley gets more notoriety than that bunch of "power" wannabes.

The Big East is nothing more than P5 rejects and paranoid, insecure Midwestern rectories.

I'm as anti-McD as anyone but the reality is that the BE is the best non football league by far. They got six out of ten teams into the tournament despite flaming out. Because of their big city nature, they will always have eyeballs and it's the reason why FS1 is paying them like $500,000,000 for the rights. By mainstream you must mean ESPN because there was plenty of their games all over TV last year including Coach K's 1000th win. WSU would rename Koch arena "Woodfox Court" for a chance to play in that league.

The Big East had atrocious ratings in 2013-14 but that was attributed to FS1 being a new channel and no one knew about Big East games on there. Ratings actually declined in 2014-15. The most watched regular season game on FS1 had 230k viewers. When they're on FOX they can get decent viewer numbers (500k) but that is still nothing compared to a game like Arizona/Arizona State on FOX that gets 850k. The Valley gets better numbers with ESPNU than the Big East does with FS1. Fox spent all that money because they were counting on the Big East to be their flagship programming and hoping it would be a huge draw like it was pre-conference realignment. It is obvious that it isn't happening. Maybe it's because no one cares about the Big East. Maybe it's because no one knows about FS1. Either way, these "eyeballs" that you mentioned are missing.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » June 28th, 2015, 7:16 pm

Eh ... in basketball, I have a degree from a B12 school, but I always root against the B12. They get vastly overhyped for a one-team conference that still gets the majority of their conference into the tournament annually, with far too high of seeds, and regularly losing to lower-seeded teams in the first weekend.

In football, the SEC. Watching schools that never win more than two games in conference, or haven't won a national title in decades, chanting "SEC!" because Alabama, LSU, and Auburn are excellent drives me crazy.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » June 29th, 2015, 7:35 am

AndShock wrote:The Big East had atrocious ratings in 2013-14 but that was attributed to FS1 being a new channel and no one knew about Big East games on there. Ratings actually declined in 2014-15. The most watched regular season game on FS1 had 230k viewers. When they're on FOX they can get decent viewer numbers (500k) but that is still nothing compared to a game like Arizona/Arizona State on FOX that gets 850k. The Valley gets better numbers with ESPNU than the Big East does with FS1. Fox spent all that money because they were counting on the Big East to be their flagship programming and hoping it would be a huge draw like it was pre-conference realignment. It is obvious that it isn't happening. Maybe it's because no one cares about the Big East. Maybe it's because no one knows about FS1. Either way, these "eyeballs" that you mentioned are missing.

Plenty of people know about FS1. The Womens World Cup is killing it with viewership on FS1.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Championz » June 29th, 2015, 2:11 pm

The what?
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » July 1st, 2015, 3:05 pm

Big 10 I cannot stand. The Iowa fans make it so hard to like the Big 10. All they did after Wisconsin and MSU made the FF was spout about the Big 10. While in reality last year the Big 10 had one great team and a bunch of middle of the road teams. MSU got lucky to advance as far as they did.

I despise the Big 10.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » July 6th, 2015, 10:07 am

Michigan St. gets lucky a lot.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby sixth ace » July 6th, 2015, 3:34 pm

SEC more specific Kentucky.
ACES
ACES
ACES
I'M ONBOARD
sixth ace
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball