UNI Facilities

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: UNI Facilities

Postby uniftw » August 11th, 2015, 9:07 am

Cdizzle wrote:
uniftw wrote:
Championz wrote:I was gonna say. That 5k number had to be grossly exaggerated. There's box scores from games in November and December where UNI barely broke 2k for games.

Who said 5k basketball season tickets?

Agreed that no one said that. I think the 5k "hardcore/every game" fans may have been grabbed, and I would agree that the numbers suggest that is probably a little high, probably in the 4k range. But that's kindof beside the point; I have the basketball attendance numbers. I'm curious about the football attendance numbers, because I think they point to a group of people that easily could become UNI basketball fans with continued success.

Has the football fanbase been growing the past ten years or so, as that team sustained success, and presumably the interest of less and less recent graduates? I don't know much about football schools or their fanbases, so I'm curious if there is some sort of "3-year-lag" type thing that could go on.

Football has been good for 3 decades. They've been "full D1" since 1985 and in the 30 seasons since UNI has 16 conference titles. Until Coach Jake took over UNI was definitely a football school. The issue with the fan base with football is the same as basketball. For decades UNI has always been okay with playing a distant third fiddle to Iowa and Iowa State. That really limits the number of non-alum fans, and even alumni, from getting fully behind the programs.

The success Jake has had has turned it into a basketball school, more so, but football still completely drives the bus that is the athletic department.

We are seeing more UNI basketball fans than ever before and football is pretty flat. It's just taking time to get them away from Iowa and/or Iowa State
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Re: UNI Facilities

Sponsor

Sponsor

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball