Where's Elmo (Teddy)

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Where's Elmo (Teddy)

Postby Aargh » August 14th, 2015, 9:20 pm

As I understand it, Hawkins is in Dayton and the rest of the IlSU team and the coaches are in Spain.

Fall semester is about to start and Hawkins got a sudden ticket out of Barcelona to Dayton - not Normal. Do I have this right?
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Where's Elmo (Teddy)

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Where's Elmo (Teddy)

Postby Redbird Recon » August 14th, 2015, 10:20 pm

According to Bradley's beat writer, yes.
Twitter: @RedbirdRecon
Blog: redbirdrecon.blogspot.com
Redbird Recon
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Play Angry » August 15th, 2015, 12:30 pm

Can a Redbirds fan elaborate? What is going on?
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Redbird Recon » August 16th, 2015, 9:42 pm

No one seems to have a story. The school didn't release anything other than that he was suspended for the 3rd game. He didn't play in the 4th either, and he wasn't in any of the pictures. The team didn't arrive home until today. I expect plenty of info on the situation over the next few days. Classes start Monday I believe.
Twitter: @RedbirdRecon
Blog: redbirdrecon.blogspot.com
Redbird Recon
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mathewson10 » August 17th, 2015, 1:13 pm

Dan Muller stated that Hawkins is in class today but has been indefinitely suspended for violation of team rules.

@pg_benson: He is still in school and on the roster.
mathewson10
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Cdizzle » August 17th, 2015, 1:35 pm

Curious to see how this ends up. Ill. St. needs Hawkins this year. Losing 2 starters between April and August could very well take them from trying to stay in contact with WSU to trying to avoid Thursday night.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » August 17th, 2015, 2:58 pm

Cdizzle wrote:Curious to see how this ends up. Ill. St. needs Hawkins this year. Losing 2 starters between April and August could very well take them from trying to stay in contact with WSU to trying to avoid Thursday night.

I wonder if his punishment will be more sever than their running back who was suspended 11 days during the spring (not even during the spring work outs) for selling a felony amount of weed.

Within 2 hours of him pleading guilty to selling a felony amount of weed (taking a deferred judgement) he was reinstated to the team with no further punishment to be handed out.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » August 17th, 2015, 3:05 pm

uniftw wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:Curious to see how this ends up. Ill. St. needs Hawkins this year. Losing 2 starters between April and August could very well take them from trying to stay in contact with WSU to trying to avoid Thursday night.

I wonder if his punishment will be more sever than their running back who was suspended 11 days during the spring (not even during the spring work outs) for selling a felony amount of weed.

Within 2 hours of him pleading guilty to selling a felony amount of weed (taking a deferred judgement) he was reinstated to the team with no further punishment to be handed out.

I have no idea what any of the facts are in this case, so I'm just curious to see what they are, and what the result is.

From what I have seen online, it seemed to be a horribly-kept secret that this year would be Hawkins' last at IlSt for one reason or another. Again, something I have no facts on in the current, though his academic history lends itself to some not-too-crazy theories. I've always found this situation interesting, as WSU was at one time involved with the player, and I never understood what hoops were jumped through (not that they weren't legal, I just literally don't know what actually happened) and by whom so that he could play D1 ball.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Rollbird5 » August 17th, 2015, 4:54 pm

After being suspended, Muller said Hawkins flew home to Dayton, Ohio, before returning to campus.

"He went to Dayton only because if we sent him to Chicago there's no ride (for him)," said Muller. "There was a lot of speculation (on the Internet), and it's extremely disappointing to me to hear what some people are saying about it."

Doesn't sound as serious as some of the speculation has been
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » August 17th, 2015, 9:26 pm

Cdizzle wrote:
uniftw wrote:

I have no idea what any of the facts are in this case, so I'm just curious to see what they are, and what the result is.

From what I have seen online, it seemed to be a horribly-kept secret that this year would be Hawkins' last at IlSt for one reason or another. Again, something I have no facts on in the current, though his academic history lends itself to some not-too-crazy theories. I've always found this situation interesting, as WSU was at one time involved with the player, and I never understood what hoops were jumped through (not that they weren't legal, I just literally don't know what actually happened) and by whom so that he could play D1 ball.

Doesn't seem like a situation that has a happy ending, does it?

It's not Marcus Marshall ugly, but it's the same type of vibe I take away from it.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball