Official 2015-16 MVCfans.com Prediction - 6th Place

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Who will finish in 6th place during the 2014-15 MVC men's basketball season?

Poll ended at September 24th, 2015, 9:46 am

Evansville
No votes
Illinois State
10%
Indiana State
71%
Loyola
12%
Northern Iowa
2%
Wichita State
5%

Total votes : 41

Postby MVCfans » September 20th, 2015, 9:46 am

Each week we will open a poll for users to predict the end of season finish for the MVC 2015-16 basketball season. We will work in reverse order, concluding with the predicted MVC champion chosen by our users between the last two teams remaining in week 9.

Drake was selected as the 7th place finisher (results: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4213 )

Week 5 - Who will finish in 6th place during the 2015-16 MVC mens basketball season?
-You are choosing the team that you believe will finish in 6th place for this regular season. Poll open until Wednesday, September 23.

Official MVCfans.com - Predictions:
10th Place - Bradley
9th Place - Missouri State
8th Place - Southern Illinois
7th Place - Drake
6th Place .....
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Official 2015-16 MVCfans.com Prediction - 6th Place

Postby Wufan » September 20th, 2015, 3:50 pm

I went with Loyola here. I like Loyola and they may well do better, but I think they over-achieved a bit last season.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » September 20th, 2015, 4:01 pm

Wufan wrote:I went with Loyola here. I like Loyola and they may well do better, but I think they over-achieved a bit last season.

Maybe. But they were also 19-6 with Doyle, 5-7 without. They probably would have 'over-achieved' more if Doyle hadn't gone down.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » September 20th, 2015, 4:14 pm

Cdizzle wrote:
Wufan wrote:I went with Loyola here. I like Loyola and they may well do better, but I think they over-achieved a bit last season.

Maybe. But they were also 19-6 with Doyle, 5-7 without. They probably would have 'over-achieved' more if Doyle hadn't gone down.

I know, but Christian Thomas has graduated too. Somebody's got to finish 6th. Looks like the majority will go with the Sycamores, which is just as good of a pick I suppose since they lost their entire front court.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jackwagon » September 20th, 2015, 4:39 pm

Think Loyola is the pick here. Although this is where it gets tough to separate 2 from 6. Doyle being healthy should help,but losing a gamer like Thomas should not be undervalued. I know it seems crazy, but wouldn't be shocked to see isur here. Losing big time contributiors and coaching is still a ? . isub is another possibility. Solid 1 through 4. Center spot is a big ?
jackwagon
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » September 20th, 2015, 5:50 pm

jackwagon wrote:Think Loyola is the pick here. Although this is where it gets tough to separate 2 from 6. Doyle being healthy should help,but losing a gamer like Thomas should not be undervalued. I know it seems crazy, but wouldn't be shocked to see isur here. Losing big time contributiors and coaching is still a ? . isub is another possibility. Solid 1 through 4. Center spot is a big ?

You could put UNI here too. Washpun, Morgan, Jesperson, Lohaus, and Bohannon are tough. Koch, Friedman, Carlson and the freshman bigs have a lot to prove.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Red » September 21st, 2015, 12:23 pm

Loyola was an improved club at the end of last season but how high are people thinking they will finish? I've got them here at 6th.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Play Angry » September 21st, 2015, 1:32 pm

Red wrote:Loyola was an improved club at the end of last season but how high are people thinking they will finish? I've got them here at 6th.

It would not stun me to see them finish as high as 2nd. I have the Trees in this spot.

2nd through 5th, to me, is where it becomes a crapshoot. There are always a few surprises though.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby ahunte1 » September 21st, 2015, 1:36 pm

Voted for InSt.

Loyola was 6th last year, and I feel will be improved. I don't know if they over-achieved, but they certainly surprised.

Yes, they will miss Christian Thomas (and I'll miss watching him), but they do have options to replace him. The fact is he was 6'4" and holding his own at the 4 spot. If you're 6'9" 230, you don't have to have quite the same skill level to be productive.

I'm torn about the 2nd thru 5th voting. A true Rambler could make the case that Loyola was better than Evansville last year and about as good as Illinois State given the road win with Doyle at Evansville (clear loss at home without Doyle) and two losses to Illinois State, both without Doyle, both close games, had every chance to win it at the free throw line at home. I really don't know what to expect from either of those two teams this year, and I'm granting UNI second place based on what they have returning and looking past what they lose.
ahunte1
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Wufan » September 21st, 2015, 5:09 pm

ahunte1 wrote:

Voted for InSt.

Loyola was 6th last year, and I feel will be improved. I don't know if they over-achieved, but they certainly surprised.

Yes, they will miss Christian Thomas (and I'll miss watching him), but they do have options to replace him. The fact is he was 6'4" and holding his own at the 4 spot. If you're 6'9" 230, you don't have to have quite the same skill level to be productive.

I'm torn about the 2nd thru 5th voting. A true Rambler could make the case that Loyola was better than Evansville last year and about as good as Illinois State given the road win with Doyle at Evansville (clear loss at home without Doyle) and two losses to Illinois State, both without Doyle, both close games, had every chance to win it at the free throw line at home. I really don't know what to expect from either of those two teams this year, and I'm granting UNI second place based on what they have returning and looking past what they lose.

This all makes sense, but UNI was second and lost their most important player and two other posts that are up the majority of the minutes. They still might be second. ISUb was 11-7 and finished third. They too Lost their front court. So, why does UNI stay put while ISUb drops three places in the standings?
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball