Official 2015-16 MVCfans.com Prediction - 4th Place

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Who will finish in 4th place during the 2014-15 MVC men's basketball season?

Poll ended at October 4th, 2015, 5:38 am

Evansville
14%
Illinois State
44%
Northern Iowa
38%
Wichita State
5%

Total votes : 64

Re: Official 2015-16 MVCfans.com Prediction - 4th Place

Postby BTbird » October 1st, 2015, 3:04 pm

Championz wrote:Their fanbase is making fun of Nic Moore and the SMU situation which is extremely ironic. SMU and Illinois State belong in the same bed together.

Yeah Right, Didn't WSU commit a violation this summer with a recruit we were after. The WSU baseball team has just been placed on probation but it's our athletics department that belongs in bed with SMU.

http://www.associatesdegree.com/2011/03/08/10-most-corrupt-college-athletic-programs/

This article was posted before your baseball team went on probation by the way.
BTbird
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby jwa123 » October 1st, 2015, 3:32 pm

Wufan wrote:Gregg Marshall likes UE for second place per a recent ESPN interview. Also mentioned UNI and Illinois State. Finally, he made a point of stating that LUC had a much better season last year than Creighton.

I know this thread is about 4th place but this is interesting. I personally enjoy watching Evansville play with their motion offense. Best of luck to Evansville this season.

Though I follow ISUr I am not willing, at this juncture, to put UNI at 4th place behind ISUr. Jacobsen is a heck of a coach and that means something to me. His team will be ready to play.
jwa123
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby mvcfan » October 1st, 2015, 4:56 pm

mathewson10 wrote:SMU had academic violations which kept players eligible so they could play. I don't think any fan base likes it when a good player leaves their program for whatever reason. (Nic Moore to SMU or Hawkins to ISU) I have noticed many posts from numerous Shocker fans (not all Shocker fans) that are negative towards Hawkins (before & after the Spain incident) & in most cases it seems to be because he jumped ship. (Pot calling the kettle black?) Some comments have no actual factual backing besides "I don't like the guy."

Hawkins did not break any NCAA violations nor was he arrested for anything. I'm glad everyone is the moral police & would maybe prefer the competitive edge that might come with a suspension. If it isn't an arrest (talking basketball)or violation then if there is an issue with a team then it's the responsibility of the coach to handle the situation. It's no one's business what the punishment is if it is something that can be taken care of in private. No coach, including top programs, enjoys publicly discussing team punishments. It breaks the trust with their players if they do talk about it more publicly.

I'm glad Hawkins is on your team. His life as a basketball player has been riddled with problems from high school, prep school, and now it continues at Illinois State. I predict that this isn't the final problem that Hawkins has at Illinois State. We will hear more about him in the future and he won't complete his four years there. Good Luck.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Championz » October 1st, 2015, 7:59 pm

BTbird wrote:
Championz wrote:Their fanbase is making fun of Nic Moore and the SMU situation which is extremely ironic. SMU and Illinois State belong in the same bed together.

Yeah Right, Didn't WSU commit a violation this summer with a recruit we were after. The WSU baseball team has just been placed on probation but it's our athletics department that belongs in bed with SMU.

http://www.associatesdegree.com/2011/03/08/10-most-corrupt-college-athletic-programs/

Nice deflection.

:+1:

Almost Larry Brown-like.
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Postby AndShock » October 1st, 2015, 8:06 pm

BTbird wrote:

You get your degree off that site?
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » October 2nd, 2015, 8:29 am

I picked UNI here. I'm not really sure why.

Evansville and ISUr give no real historical reason to believe they will finish ahead of them. But I'm thinking UNI drops a ways this year. They are back to year 1 of the 4-year cycle. And their non-con is brutal. Not sure they will be above .500 by the end of it, which could hurt the psyche of some youngsters.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby RoyalShock » October 2nd, 2015, 3:40 pm

Cdizzle wrote:I picked UNI here. I'm not really sure why.

Evansville and ISUr give no real historical reason to believe they will finish ahead of them. But I'm thinking UNI drops a ways this year. They are back to year 1 of the 4-year cycle. And their non-con is brutal. Not sure they will be above .500 by the end of it, which could hurt the psyche of some youngsters.

I picked UNI here, as well. The reason is that I'll need to be convinced their guards can:

1. Absorb the lost point-production from Tuttle and Co., and . . .
2. Do it without having Tuttle on the floor receiving the focus of the defense.

Opponents' post defenders won't be nearly as concerned about helping off their man. That said, I won't be at all surprised if Jacobsen adapts and they finish 2nd.
RoyalShock
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby BTbird » October 2nd, 2015, 4:03 pm

Tough choice on this one. I went with ISU. I think we have a legit shot at 2nd but so does UNI and UE.
BTbird
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby ACECARD » October 3rd, 2015, 11:18 am

valleychamp wrote:So, y'all are really going to vote Marty Simmons' team 2nd?

Yikes. Might want to give that one some further thought.

Just because I'm not voting the Aces fourth doesn't mean I am voting them second, and that could well be the thinking of a lot of others. I'm with Wufan in thinking that the Aces could finish anywhere from 2nd to 5th. It all depends on how well Wily Wiley performs, and if Jaylon Brown, and Boo Gibson can continue the play they showed in the CIT last year. A lot will depend on whether Marty gives Blake Simmons, and Adam Wing 30 minutes a game. If he does, then the Aces will be lucky to finish fourth or fifth. The Aces have the talent to finish second, but there are too many questions to be answered for me to predict a second place finish. Maybe it's because I have been so disappointed in the program for the last 15 years, that they are going to have to show me if they are that good this year.
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball