Who will be named 2015-16 MVC Newcomer of the Year?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Poll ended at October 25th, 2015, 8:23 pm

Kale Abrahamson - Drake
5%
Aarias Austin - UNI
2%
Nick Banyard - Illinois State
10%
Connor Frankamp - Wichita State
7%
Anton Grady - Wichita State
44%
Maurice Kirby - Loyola
2%
Willie Wiley - Evansville
20%
Graham Woodward - Drake
10%
Matt Van Scyoc - Indiana State
No votes

Total votes : 41

Postby MVCfans » October 19th, 2015, 8:23 pm

Beginning our individual award predictions - Select the player that you believe will be named the 2015-16 Missouri Valley Conference Newcomer of the Year for men's basketball. While a freshman can be selected as Newcomer of the Year, for the purposes of this poll we have not included them.

Last year our users correctly selected Devaughn Akoon-Purcell of Illinois State as the NOY.
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Who will be named 2015-16 MVC Newcomer of the Year?

Postby COUTEAU » October 20th, 2015, 11:34 am

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3868

WW, may be one of few that has ever been on a NOY poll, twice. Finished in a tie for second last year.
I voted for Mislav, last season. This season WW.

go valley
go aces
COUTEAU
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Cdizzle » October 20th, 2015, 11:39 am

Good list. Players like Grady and Wiley have a good chance to immediately put up pretty good numbers on good teams because of good complimentary players but opportunities at their positions.

I went with Grady. Seems like it wouldn't be outrageous for him to come in and average 10&6 given the core surrounding him, which is very solid for a newcomer. I think Wiley could have an equally big impact for his team, but it will probably show up less in the box score.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » October 20th, 2015, 4:30 pm

I went with Grady too. I think he has a chance to come in and really elevate the Shockers post game. Given how much attention Baker and VanVleet draw he should get a lot of offensive opportunities.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » October 20th, 2015, 5:09 pm

Cdizzle wrote:Good list. Players like Grady and Wiley have a good chance to immediately put up pretty good numbers on good teams because of good complimentary players but opportunities at their positions.

I went with Grady. Seems like it wouldn't be outrageous for him to come in and average 10&6 given the core surrounding him, which is very solid for a newcomer. I think Wiley could have an equally big impact for his team, but it will probably show up less in the box score.

I'd add Van Scyoc to that list, although he is getting considerably less attention.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ACECARD » October 21st, 2015, 10:20 am

Cdizzle wrote:Good list. Players like Grady and Wiley have a good chance to immediately put up pretty good numbers on good teams because of good complimentary players but opportunities at their positions.

I would agree. I think Wiley will have more of a presence on the boards than he will scoring the ball, but from all that I have seen, and it isn't that much, he knows how to finish a shot.
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby LuvR-Aces » October 21st, 2015, 1:54 pm

I tend to agree with ACECARD that Wiley will gain a reputation more for his rebounding than for his scoring. But giving help to Giddy (Mockevicious )on the boards may prove to be more important to the Aces than scoring points, especially since Giddy has tended to pick up early fouls and often spends 10 minutes a game on the bench being protected from fouling out too early. The Aces, with DJ, Mislav, Wing, Simmons, Brown (both Jaylon and Harris), Boo Gibson, and Vucetic should have plenty of options for scoring. Wiley's offensive AND defensive skills will make Willy the piece of the puzzle that should give the Aces a place near the top of the MVC this year... with the potential to beat most every team on any given night. It appears to me that at least 5 of the MVC teams will cause ripples in the college basketball world this year. Go MVC!!! :bounce:
LuvR-Aces
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby Wufan » October 27th, 2015, 6:39 pm

I'm excited to see all of the newcomers on all of the teams this year! It seems almost everyone has a new big man or two (in the case of Bradlley, much more) that has the fan bases excited. Likely, this year will be similar to years past where most are busts; but it is the preseason and optimism is in the air above every Valley city outside of Sprinfield. The World Series is on, the NBA is kicking off, and the non-con is around the corner. Time to see who's ready, who's not, and who never will be!

Go Valley, Go Shockers, and good luck to all!
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redbird Recon » October 27th, 2015, 8:45 pm

I'm glad to see WW doing well, because he was an absolute waste of talent in high school.
Twitter: @RedbirdRecon
Blog: redbirdrecon.blogspot.com
Redbird Recon
All MVC
All MVC

Postby underdawg » November 5th, 2015, 8:56 pm

Mike Rodriguez SIU PG will be one of the top PG's in the League

Averaged 22.6 points . 6.5 assists at Marshalltown JC in 2014-15
underdawg
MVC starter
MVC starter

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball