Who will be named 2015-16 MVC Freshman of the Year?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Who will be named 2015-16 MVC Freshman of the Year?

Poll ended at October 26th, 2015, 3:59 pm

Harris Brown - Evansville
13%
Obediah Church - Missouri State
No votes
Roland Griffin - Illinois State
25%
Luke McDonnell - UNI
5%
Markis McDuffie - Wichita State
No votes
Joel Okafor - Bradley
18%
Dominik Olejniczak - Drake
10%
Emondre Rickman - Indiana State
3%
Landry Shamet - Wichita State
20%
Billy Wampler - Drake
8%

Total votes : 40

Re: Who will be named 2015-16 MVC Freshman of the Year?

Postby Championz » December 3rd, 2015, 7:34 pm

Griffin is the leading vote-getter because there are 10 Redbird fans that voted for him here, with him being the only Illinois State option.

This ain't rocket science.
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Redbirdgrad » December 3rd, 2015, 8:41 pm

There's 10 Redbird fans on this board? Could have fooled me. I thought you chased them all off?!?

Can someone who has actual insight into the world of college basketball care to share?
Redbirdgrad
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Championz » December 3rd, 2015, 9:12 pm

Redbirdgrad wrote:Could have fooled me.

I have a feeling that happens a lot.
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » December 4th, 2015, 6:18 am

Redbirdgrad wrote:
Wufan wrote:Some good freshman out there in early play:

Bradley - DLO*, Barker*, Suggs, van Bree
MSU - Church*, Dixon
ISUr - Griffin
WSU - McDuffie*, Hamilton, Taylor
SIU - Fletcher

The 4 with * are looking like All-MVC freshman.

I find it odd Griffin is leading this vote, yet not chosen as among the All-MVC freshmen in your eyes. Are you seeing something different? Genuinely curious. I think when the bench & minutes tighten, Griffin will be on the positive side of that adjustment in conference and the numbers will creep up slightly from here.

Honestly looking at a 3rd person point of view here. Thanks!

During the preseason, nominees are submitted by the forum users. That list is compiled and any reasonable nominee is added to the list. Again, during the preseason, voting is done by the fans. Griffin had a bit of Redbird hype and received ten votes, probably from Redbird fans. Since no one has played a minute of basketball at the time of the voting, all votes are equally valid, but some end up more wrong than others.

At the time of my post there were 4 players averaging greater than 8 points and all other freshman were less than 6 (but we're top 50 in the MVC) So I highlighted the 4 freshman that had separated themselves at that time. I will update my picks periodically throughout the season, but the voting has no bearing on actual performance since it is a preseason poll.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » December 5th, 2015, 7:55 am

Church is playing at a very high level for the Bears right now. Averaging 9ppg, 7rbs, 2blks, and shooting a ridiculous 78% from the field. And it's not all dunks; last game he stepped out and hit 3 12-15 foot jumpers, something he is not supposedly able to do. Kid is playing very controlled as well, which is why his shooting % is so high. Probably our most versatile defender as well. A name to watch in the next few games might be Ryan Kreklow, a 6'4 frosh. Had 10 pts off the bench in his 1st action of the year last game; plays hard and does a little of everything. Gave Bears a real lift with his aggressive play and will probably get some minutes over the next few games. Not an eye-poping athlete, but a smart confident kid who is the kind coaches tend to like. Right now Dixon seems to be out of favor with Lusk in the constant ebb and flow which makes up Lusk's maddening approach to player rotations, so his chances of making much impact after starting the first exhibition and regular season game is now diminished. Those 3 though along with soph Kendrix who is playing well, make up some source of hope for the future.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redbirdgrad » December 5th, 2015, 8:50 am

Wufan wrote:
During the preseason, nominees are submitted by the forum users. That list is compiled and any reasonable nominee is added to the list. Again, during the preseason, voting is done by the fans. Griffin had a bit of Redbird hype and received ten votes, probably from Redbird fans. Since no one has played a minute of basketball at the time of the voting, all votes are equally valid, but some end up more wrong than others.

At the time of my post there were 4 players averaging greater than 8 points and all other freshman were less than 6 (but we're top 50 in the MVC) So I highlighted the 4 freshman that had separated themselves at that time. I will update my picks periodically throughout the season, but the voting has no bearing on actual performance since it is a preseason poll.

Thanks for the clarification wufan... much abliged!
Redbirdgrad
All MVC
All MVC

Postby glm38 » December 5th, 2015, 4:09 pm

BEARZ77 wrote:Church is playing at a very high level for the Bears right now. Averaging 9ppg, 7rbs, 2blks, and shooting a ridiculous 78% from the field. And it's not all dunks; last game he stepped out and hit 3 12-15 foot jumpers, something he is not supposedly able to do. Kid is playing very controlled as well, which is why his shooting % is so high. Probably our most versatile defender as well. A name to watch in the next few games might be Ryan Kreklow, a 6'4 frosh. Had 10 pts off the bench in his 1st action of the year last game; plays hard and does a little of everything. Gave Bears a real lift with his aggressive play and will probably get some minutes over the next few games. Not an eye-poping athlete, but a smart confident kid who is the kind coaches tend to like. Right now Dixon seems to be out of favor with Lusk in the constant ebb and flow which makes up Lusk's maddening approach to player rotations, so his chances of making much impact after starting the first exhibition and regular season game is now diminished. Those 3 though along with soph Kendrix who is playing well, make up some source of hope for the future.

It's crazy to me that Kreklow didn't play until that last game. I know a red shirt was in question but he looks like he can really play right now. :Bam:
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jwa123 » December 5th, 2015, 5:18 pm

Championz wrote:Griffin is the leading vote-getter because there are 10 Redbird fans that voted for him here, with him being the only Illinois State option.

What a brilliant intellect you have Loserz. Just brilliant!!! :bow:
jwa123
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Championz » December 5th, 2015, 5:29 pm

jwa123 wrote:
Championz wrote:Griffin is the leading vote-getter because there are 10 Redbird fans that voted for him here, with him being the only Illinois State option.

What a brilliant intellect you have Loserz. Just brilliant!!! :bow:

Man, I really got you hanging on my nuts, don't I? :cry:
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Johhnyfingers » December 6th, 2015, 12:08 am

I am biased as I know Kreklow but think he was underrated as a player coming out of high school. He works very hard, knows the game well and can be a strong shooter for sure. I believe the plan originally was a redshirt year but I guess the coaches changed their minds. Would love to see him be freshman of the year.
Johhnyfingers
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball