Who will be named 2015-16 MVC Freshman of the Year?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Who will be named 2015-16 MVC Freshman of the Year?

Poll ended at October 26th, 2015, 3:59 pm

Harris Brown - Evansville
13%
Obediah Church - Missouri State
No votes
Roland Griffin - Illinois State
25%
Luke McDonnell - UNI
5%
Markis McDuffie - Wichita State
No votes
Joel Okafor - Bradley
18%
Dominik Olejniczak - Drake
10%
Emondre Rickman - Indiana State
3%
Landry Shamet - Wichita State
20%
Billy Wampler - Drake
8%

Total votes : 40

Re: Who will be named 2015-16 MVC Freshman of the Year?

Postby stl scooter » October 22nd, 2015, 9:54 pm

COUTEAU wrote:I'm a True "homer"
I voted Purple & Orange.
But, I feel Harris Brown's court time may be a bit slim pickins, playing behind DJ and two returning starting PG's.

go aces

Full disclosure...Harris Brown was on crutches tonight at the Aces Hoopfest. He said it was a sprain & he had normal shoes on. I don't think it is real serious.
The preceding lesson in basketball is free of charge.
stl scooter
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Wufan » October 23rd, 2015, 5:28 am

stl scooter wrote:
COUTEAU wrote:I'm a True "homer"
I voted Purple & Orange.
But, I feel Harris Brown's court time may be a bit slim pickins, playing behind DJ and two returning starting PG's.

go aces

Full disclosure...Harris Brown was on crutches tonight at the Aces Hoopfest. He said it was a sprain & he had normal shoes on. I don't think it is real serious.

I like that the Aces have TWO RETURNING STARTING point guards. Impressive!
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby 2livewu » October 23rd, 2015, 9:15 am

Some impressive freshmen showed their skills last night at the Chuck.

I doubt any of them make a big impact this year barring injuries ahead of them. Shamet is the most ready. McDuffie and Hamilton have ability and athleticism and a lot to learn to play for top 20 team. Taylor needs a redshirt, at least.

No way Shamet sees enough court time to merit the award, but he might be 1st team all conference next year.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mvcfan » October 23rd, 2015, 7:37 pm

2livewu wrote:Some impressive freshmen showed their skills last night at the Chuck.

I doubt any of them make a big impact this year barring injuries ahead of them. Shamet is the most ready. McDuffie and Hamilton have ability and athleticism and a lot to learn to play for top 20 team. Taylor needs a redshirt, at least.

No way Shamet sees enough court time to merit the award, but he might be 1st team all conference next year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z51CCRrbg1g
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Aargh » October 23rd, 2015, 9:42 pm

There's a good possibility Baker will move to PG to give VanVleet a break and Shamet will be ahead of Frankamp at subbing out for both VanVleet and Baker.

The sub pattern is likely to have one of Baker or VanVleet on the court at all times (unless there's an overmatched opponent). Frankamp and Shamet are going to be battling it out for PT. Whichever one plays D and rebounds is more likely to get minutes.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » October 23rd, 2015, 10:02 pm

Aargh wrote:There's a good possibility Baker will move to PG to give VanVleet a break and Shamet will be ahead of Frankamp at subbing out for both VanVleet and Baker.

The sub pattern is likely to have one of Baker or VanVleet on the court at all times (unless there's an overmatched opponent). Frankamp and Shamet are going to be battling it out for PT. Whichever one plays D and rebounds is more likely to get minutes.

I think they both get better than 10 mpg. If correct, that says a lot about this team since they will be backing up two All-Americans.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvcfan » October 23rd, 2015, 11:09 pm

The reason that FVV and Baker played so many minutes last year was because Gregg couldn't trust anyone else. If Landry Shamet and Conner Frankamp prove they can be trusted, FVV and Ron won't average more than 30 minutes again. It makes us a better team. However, when the game is on the line, FVV and Ron will be in the game. If we have a lead though, Conner will play too and Ron will move over to the 3. To have 3 players who will shoot free throws above 80-90% + is a great thing to have. They will all have important roles and play important minutes.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BEARZ77 » November 6th, 2015, 3:19 pm

Possible that both Obediah Church 6'7 and Jarred Dixon 6'2 could start for Bears. Doubt Church will provide enough offense to garner support, but Dixon is a kid that could fill a stat sheet with solid not gawdy numbers. Does a little of everything. My darkhorse for FOY.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Majik45 » November 7th, 2015, 12:18 pm

The Bradley player for this poll should probably be Dwayne Lautier-Ogunleye, or DLO as he is being called. He will be the do it all guy for Bradley vs. Okafor being just the Point guard. DLO is the kid from London with lots of international experience. He had 12 points, 4 rebounds, 4 assists and 3 steals in their exhibition win on Wednesday.
Majik45
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » November 7th, 2015, 12:40 pm

Bradley should have the entire All-Freshman team this year.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball