Who will be named 2015-16 MVC Freshman of the Year?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Poll ended at October 26th, 2015, 3:59 pm

Harris Brown - Evansville
13%
Obediah Church - Missouri State
No votes
Roland Griffin - Illinois State
25%
Luke McDonnell - UNI
5%
Markis McDuffie - Wichita State
No votes
Joel Okafor - Bradley
18%
Dominik Olejniczak - Drake
10%
Emondre Rickman - Indiana State
3%
Landry Shamet - Wichita State
20%
Billy Wampler - Drake
8%

Total votes : 40

Postby MVCfans » October 21st, 2015, 3:59 pm

Select the player that you believe will be named the 2015-16 Missouri Valley Conference Freshman of the Year for men's basketball.

Last year, Teddy Hawkins of Illinois State was predicted by our voters, but it was Brenton Scott of Indiana State who won the award.
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Who will be named 2015-16 MVC Freshman of the Year?

Postby BTbird » October 21st, 2015, 7:33 pm

I went with Roland Griffin because I'm a homer and I don't know anything about the other recruits.
BTbird
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Wufan » October 22nd, 2015, 6:35 am

I picked Landry Shamet here. Part of the reason is my familiarity with him versus the freshman on other teams. Most of the reason is because of the way Gregg Marshall has spoken about him in interviews. On more than one occasion, Markis McDuffee has been mentioned by interviewers as a special freshman (he was a top 100 that received a lot of praise from Bobby Hurley). GM has agreed with this and expounded, but he continued it by saying how special Shamet is. He's very long and athletic. He can play three positions. He gets to the rim, shoots it well from the perimeter, he has handles and makes good passes. He has a high basketball IQ. Marshall has mentioned him as a replacement for Tekele Cotton as the defensive stopper. On all other occasions, Marshall has made comments about players trying to adjust, trying to understand offensive schemes, learning to compete, or putting on weight. Not so with Shamet. Marshall sees a plug and play ready freshman (top 100). The only real questions are who does he take minutes away from, how many minutes, and will his abilities result in statistical relevance.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvcfan » October 22nd, 2015, 6:38 am

BTbird wrote:I went with Roland Griffin because I'm a homer and I don't know anything about the other recruits.

I hope he's a sleeper recruit. He's definitely not as highly thought of as Davaughn Akoon Purcell.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby lawdawg » October 22nd, 2015, 8:14 am

Sean Lloyd, from SIU, might be worth mentioning here. He's an athletic wing (6'5"/200) that will likely see enough playing time to have good numbers. Attacks the rim, handles the ball well, and has a decent outside shot. Had interest from many larger programs but, I think due to being a late qualifier and the chance for serious minutes as a frosh, landed at SIU.
lawdawg
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby Cdizzle » October 22nd, 2015, 10:02 am

I just can't see a WSU freshman putting up enough stats to win this award. If they do, something has either gone horribly, horribly wrong...or...yikes.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Rollbird5 » October 22nd, 2015, 11:36 am

mvcfan wrote:
BTbird wrote:I went with Roland Griffin because I'm a homer and I don't know anything about the other recruits.

I hope he's a sleeper recruit. He's definitely not as highly thought of as Davaughn Akoon Purcell.

He's also a freshman whereas DAP came to us as a junior so if he can get to DAPs level by junior year id gladly take that

I went with Roland cuz I think he can make an impact right away, the wsu guys are the best players but don't think they will put up the numbers to win, and I don't know much about u the others so might as well go with my isu guy!
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mvcfan » October 22nd, 2015, 11:49 am

Rollbird5 wrote:
mvcfan wrote:

He's also a freshman whereas DAP came to us as a junior so if he can get to DAPs level by junior year id gladly take that

I wasn't trying to compare his ability level to DAP but regardless, DAP was a highly thought of Juco recruit while Griffin isn't very high as a high school player. He was unrated by ESPN and Rivals. I think that one site may have him as a 2*. You know him but no one else has heard of him. Hopefully, he is a sleeper.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Rambler63 » October 22nd, 2015, 12:10 pm

I went with the Bradley kid, because SOMEBODY has to put up some numbers for that team this year, so it might as well be a 2.5-3 star freshman guard who followed Wardle from GB to Peoria.
Rambler63
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Rollbird5 » October 22nd, 2015, 1:46 pm

mvcfan wrote:
I wasn't trying to compare his ability level to DAP but regardless, DAP was a highly thought of Juco recruit while Griffin isn't very high as a high school player. He was unrated by ESPN and Rivals. I think that one site may have him as a 2*. You know him but no one else has heard of him. Hopefully, he is a sleeper.

If I remember correctly I think he was hurt so he didn't play summer ball before senior year always some bigger schools might have been after him, recon would know better than I would but I hope he's a sleeper too, nice to get some talent from Illinois! pretty safe to say if he ends up being pretty good he won't transfer to Minnesota too ;)
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball