Who will be named 2015-16 MVC Freshman of the Year?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Who will be named 2015-16 MVC Freshman of the Year?

Poll ended at October 26th, 2015, 3:59 pm

Harris Brown - Evansville
13%
Obediah Church - Missouri State
No votes
Roland Griffin - Illinois State
25%
Luke McDonnell - UNI
5%
Markis McDuffie - Wichita State
No votes
Joel Okafor - Bradley
18%
Dominik Olejniczak - Drake
10%
Emondre Rickman - Indiana State
3%
Landry Shamet - Wichita State
20%
Billy Wampler - Drake
8%

Total votes : 40

Re: Who will be named 2015-16 MVC Freshman of the Year?

Postby tribecalledquest » January 28th, 2016, 12:13 pm

Stickboy46 wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:Ronnie Suggs at Bradley has been really solid of late. He's averaging 10.3 ppg in league games.

But over the last five he is at 13.2 ppg, 4.8 rpg, shooting 44% from the floor, 44% from three and 75% from the line and playing 35 minutes a night.

Here is the comparison for McDuffie in League games

9.3 ppg, 3.88 rpg, 1.1 apg, .4 spg, 55% from the floor, 28.5% from 3, 77% from the line.

So similar numbers, except for 3 pt%. The big difference is McDuffie is only getting 18 mpg. So about half the time.

Make no mistake...I think McDuffie is the better player. I was actually surprised how well Ronnie Suggs has been playing.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Stickboy46 » January 28th, 2016, 12:22 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
Stickboy46 wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:Ronnie Suggs at Bradley has been really solid of late. He's averaging 10.3 ppg in league games.

But over the last five he is at 13.2 ppg, 4.8 rpg, shooting 44% from the floor, 44% from three and 75% from the line and playing 35 minutes a night.

Here is the comparison for McDuffie in League games

9.3 ppg, 3.88 rpg, 1.1 apg, .4 spg, 55% from the floor, 28.5% from 3, 77% from the line.

So similar numbers, except for 3 pt%. The big difference is McDuffie is only getting 18 mpg. So about half the time.

Make no mistake...I think McDuffie is the better player. I was actually surprised how well Ronnie Suggs has been playing.

I agree, I just hope that voters at the end of the year account for minutes per game. There are a couple good freshmen in the Valley, but the numbers that McDuffie is putting up in half the minutes of the other freshmen is really impressive.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » January 28th, 2016, 12:29 pm

McDuffie also often times plays with two borderline All-Americans on the floor. The attention isn't on him at all. That doesn't take away from his ability and how talented he is. It's just hard to compare stats because a guy like Suggs plays all game on a team with all freshmen and McDuffie plays half the game on an awesome team with All-League guys.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » January 28th, 2016, 1:02 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:McDuffie also often times plays with two borderline All-Americans on the floor. The attention isn't on him at all. That doesn't take away from his ability and how talented he is. It's just hard to compare stats because a guy like Suggs plays all game on a team with all freshmen and McDuffie plays half the game on an awesome team with All-League guys.

It is difficult to compare based on just numbers.

I had no idea how to evaluate all the Bradley freshmen the other night. Just so many of them, and the talent gap was too big to really tell anything.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 28th, 2016, 1:24 pm

Cdizzle wrote:The only subject people might want to debate on the matter, is just how large the gap is between Fred VanVleet and the next best PG in the country. Anything else would be a waste of time.

Sarcasm?
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » January 28th, 2016, 1:41 pm

mvcfan2 wrote:Sarcasm?

Fact.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 28th, 2016, 1:49 pm

Cdizzle wrote:
mvcfan2 wrote:Sarcasm?

Fact.

In your mind.

Ask unbiased person #2 or #3.....so on. Their opinion changes. Again, opinion based argument, yours is FVV is the God of point guards.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby 2livewu » January 28th, 2016, 1:58 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:McDuffie also often times plays with two borderline All-Americans on the floor. The attention isn't on him at all. That doesn't take away from his ability and how talented he is. It's just hard to compare stats because a guy like Suggs plays all game on a team with all freshmen and McDuffie plays half the game on an awesome team with All-League guys.

Very true, and McDuffie has also shot a lot of layups, courtesy of his great teammates finding him.

That being said, it's all TOO OFTEN overlooked the role that defense plays, and McDuffie has been assigned several of the better/best scorers in the league (Ballentine, Jesperson, Beane for example) and mostly shut them down. And Markis' team wins, and that has to account for something.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » January 28th, 2016, 2:02 pm

2livewu wrote:And Markis' team wins, and that has to account for something.

I see you're new here. :D
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » January 28th, 2016, 2:02 pm

Cdizzle wrote:

It is difficult to compare based on just numbers.

I had no idea how to evaluate all the Bradley freshmen the other night. Just so many of them, and the talent gap was too big to really tell anything.

Agreed.

At least three of these freshmen won't be back. BU is looking at some JUCO guys to fill those spots. A couple of them I am not sure about. I do feel confident that two of them, Suggs and Luuk van Bree, have a shot to be starters/decent players on a mid-level MVC team in a few seasons.

Is that all-world? Of course not. But projecting to be a starter on a 4th place MVC team isn't bad when you look at where the program is.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball