Who will be named 2015-16 MVC Freshman of the Year?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Who will be named 2015-16 MVC Freshman of the Year?

Poll ended at October 26th, 2015, 3:59 pm

Harris Brown - Evansville
13%
Obediah Church - Missouri State
No votes
Roland Griffin - Illinois State
25%
Luke McDonnell - UNI
5%
Markis McDuffie - Wichita State
No votes
Joel Okafor - Bradley
18%
Dominik Olejniczak - Drake
10%
Emondre Rickman - Indiana State
3%
Landry Shamet - Wichita State
20%
Billy Wampler - Drake
8%

Total votes : 40

Re: Who will be named 2015-16 MVC Freshman of the Year?

Postby Championz » January 28th, 2016, 2:08 pm

mvcfan2 wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:
mvcfan2 wrote:Sarcasm?

Fact.

In your mind.

Ask unbiased person #2 or #3.....so on. Their opinion changes. Again, opinion based argument, yours is FVV is the God of point guards.

7-1.
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 28th, 2016, 2:19 pm

7-1???
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » January 28th, 2016, 2:31 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:McDuffie also often times plays with two borderline All-Americans on the floor. The attention isn't on him at all. That doesn't take away from his ability and how talented he is. It's just hard to compare stats because a guy like Suggs plays all game on a team with all freshmen and McDuffie plays half the game on an awesome team with All-League guys.

It is difficult to compare based on just numbers.

I had no idea how to evaluate all the Bradley freshmen the other night. Just so many of them, and the talent gap was too big to really tell anything.

Agreed.

At least three of these freshmen won't be back. BU is looking at some JUCO guys to fill those spots. A couple of them I am not sure about. I do feel confident that two of them, Suggs and Luuk van Bree, have a shot to be starters/decent players on a mid-level MVC team in a few seasons.

Is that all-world? Of course not. But projecting to be a starter on a 4th place MVC team isn't bad when you look at where the program is.

Absolutely. Based on what I saw, I think I'd be moving on from 4-5 of those guys, spending 1-2 on JuCo's, and 3-4 on another round of freshmen. Would hopefully build up a little more talent, and even out the classes at the same time.

Having said that, I think this award should be to the freshman who demonstrated on the court that he was the best player out of all the freshman. And while it can be difficult to tell when one player is playing with a bunch of other mediocre freshman and another is getting sweet feeds from All-American guards, I also think it's telling that one does not look out of place, and may be the 3rd best player on a Top25 team that is playing like a Top 10 team at the moment.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BuBrave2006 » January 28th, 2016, 2:36 pm

Cdizzle wrote:Absolutely. Based on what I saw, I think I'd be moving on from 4-5 of those guys, spending 1-2 on JuCo's, and 3-4 on another round of freshmen. Would hopefully build up a little more talent, and even out the classes at the same time.

Having said that, I think this award should be to the freshman who demonstrated on the court that he was the best player out of all the freshman. And while it can be difficult to tell when one player is playing with a bunch of other mediocre freshman and another is getting sweet feeds from All-American guards, I also think it's telling that one does not look out of place, and may be the 3rd best player on a Top25 team that is playing like a Top 10 team at the moment.

I don't think right now you are ever going to get a serious argument from someone saying Suggs should be FOY over McDuffie (or Church or whoever...).

It is just worth pointing out that he has played much better in conference season and deserves to get some recognition for it. That being said, if i'm voting fro FOY right now, it would go:

1. McDuffie
2. Church
3. Suggs

But there are still 9 games left.
BuBrave2006
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » January 28th, 2016, 2:40 pm

BuBrave2006 wrote:
I don't think right now you are ever going to get a serious argument from someone saying Suggs should be FOY over McDuffie (or Church or whoever...).

It is just worth pointing out that he has played much better in conference season and deserves to get some recognition for it. That being said, if i'm voting fro FOY right now, it would go:

1. McDuffie
2. Church
3. Suggs

But there are still 9 games left.

Sure thing. Good discussion in this thread though. Interesting to see who ends up deserving at the end, and who ends up getting it.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Rollbird5 » January 28th, 2016, 3:40 pm

mvcfan2 wrote:7-1???

I think he's referring to wsu record against Dan Muller
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 28th, 2016, 3:44 pm

Rollbird5 wrote:
mvcfan2 wrote:7-1???

I think he's referring to wsu record against Dan Muller

This guy is an idiot (Championz). Where did that come from?

All I said was the "FVV is the best PG in the country" comment is a subjective topic and not fact based as CDizzle assumed based off his own opinion.

At no point was this a discussion about Dan Muller's record vs WSU nor do I care. Good for him. Let's all piggyback a successful team....I think I will hop on the Golden State Warriors bandwagon and rip on fans of all other fan bases...as if it their success was now my success too.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Rollbird5 » January 28th, 2016, 3:52 pm

The argument is a little subjective but whenever Fred has gone against another "top" point guard he has won the matchup and most times the game. If u told me I could pick one point guard to play in one game id pick Fred every time at the college level
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 28th, 2016, 3:56 pm

Rollbird5 wrote:The argument is a little subjective but whenever Fred has gone against another "top" point guard he has won the matchup and most times the game. If u told me I could pick one point guard to play in one game id pick Fred every time at the college level

I agree too. I'd take FVV over other pgs as well...even though Kris Dunn is up there, so is Melo Trimble and a host of other players. Although he has not faced too many top end pgs this season.

I never argued CDizzles validity of his statement, just that it's a subjective argument based on opinion, not facts.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Rollbird5 » January 28th, 2016, 4:18 pm

mvcfan2 wrote:
Rollbird5 wrote:The argument is a little subjective but whenever Fred has gone against another "top" point guard he has won the matchup and most times the game. If u told me I could pick one point guard to play in one game id pick Fred every time at the college level

I agree too. I'd take FVV over other pgs as well...even though Kris Dunn is up there, so is Melo Trimble and a host of other players. Although he has not faced too many top end pgs this season.

I never argued CDizzles validity of his statement, just that it's a subjective argument based on opinion, not facts.

Melo is actually secretly Championz favorite player
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball