Exhibitions, etc.

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Exhibitions, etc.

Postby Shockerfan13 » November 8th, 2015, 8:52 pm

Championz wrote:Well since Redbird fans can't provide any meaningful info to the site, I'll go ahead and let everyone know that Illinois State whipped Southern Indiana 88-81. Teddy Hawkins was sent a clear message with his disruptions overseas in the summer by sitting out for a 1-game suspension covering the exhibition.

But haven't you heard? Muller didn't want to "show to much" in the exhibition game. He was holding his secret weapons back, that is what it was....
Shockerfan13
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Wufan » November 8th, 2015, 9:39 pm

stl scooter wrote:
Wufan wrote:I was disappointed (but not surprised) to learn that Simmons and Wing both started and that Mislav and Wiley came off the bench. Still, too much talent in Evansville to finish below 4th.

I'm not too worried about who started. Blake had 25 mins, Wing 24, Mislav 20, Willie 10. They all bring different qualities to the team and I'm sure the minutes will even out as the season goes forward.

Simmons and Wing are okay. Personally, I think they are both mediocre at their position, and Simmons isn't a particularly good defender. Playing one of the other with Mislav would seem to make more sense with Simmons preferably getting ~ 15 mpg. I haven't seen Wiley play but he is athletically gifted. I would have thought Marty would want to see him on the floor for more than 10 minutes in an exhibition.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvcfan » November 8th, 2015, 10:14 pm

Championz wrote:Teddy Hawkins was sent a clear message with his disruptions overseas in the summer by sitting out for a 1-game suspension covering the exhibition.

We all know that Muller has the best discipline in the conference and this guarantees that he won't ever do it again.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Aargh » November 8th, 2015, 10:23 pm

UE played 6 guys between 20 and 33 minutes? 33 minutes in an exhibition? What's up with that.

In addition to Marty saying, "I'm going to wear out my starters early in the season", he also said, "I don't have any depth". Neither one of those is a good sign with the new enforcement of fouls this year. Evansville was one of the worst at grabbing and bumping players without the ball off routes. You can't do that this year.

Marty looks like he's doing his best to minimize the results he can get out of the best team he's ever had.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » November 9th, 2015, 9:18 am

mvcfan wrote:
Championz wrote:Teddy Hawkins was sent a clear message with his disruptions overseas in the summer by sitting out for a 1-game suspension covering the exhibition.

We all know that Muller has the best discipline in the conference and this guarantees that he won't ever do it again.

I don't get the hate for a weak suspension on an internal issue no one even knows about. Seems like a reasonable level of punishment.

That said, I also don't get how sanctimonious ISU fans are sometimes.

Was that the actual score? Giving up 81 points to anyone isn't great, much less a D2 squad. Did ISU utilize the new pressing style much? Was it effective?
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Rollbird5 » November 9th, 2015, 9:51 am

Cdizzle wrote:I don't get the hate for a weak suspension on an internal issue no one even knows about. Seems like a reasonable level of punishment.

Was that the actual score? Giving up 81 points to anyone isn't great, much less a D2 squad. Did ISU utilize the new pressing style much? Was it effective?

I had a prior commitment I was only able to listen to the game so I'm not the best person to speak on how the game went but sounds like we played a 2-3 zone most of the game dan probably didn't want to show any type of "havoc" type defense we may play. We were up by 19 with around 6 minutes or so left and basically just the freshman played the last 7 minutes. DAP was his usual self will be improved from last year, PLee is going to make another jump in his play this year should be one of top point guards in valley, Banyard had 14 boards. Gunna be a really tough test @san Diego state Friday tho.
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » November 9th, 2015, 10:06 am

Bradley nixed the ESPN3 stuff for exhibitions.

Ball State played two "secret" scrimmages so there were no scouting opportunities so Bradley didn't want to give Ball State (Friday's opener) a chance to see Bradley play before the season.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » November 9th, 2015, 10:31 am

Aargh wrote:UE played 6 guys between 20 and 33 minutes? 33 minutes in an exhibition? What's up with that.

In addition to Marty saying, "I'm going to wear out my starters early in the season", he also said, "I don't have any depth". Neither one of those is a good sign with the new enforcement of fouls this year. Evansville was one of the worst at grabbing and bumping players without the ball off routes. You can't do that this year.

Marty looks like he's doing his best to minimize the results he can get out of the best team he's ever had.

:+1:
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ACECARD » November 9th, 2015, 10:37 am

Rollbird5 wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:I don't get the hate for a weak suspension on an internal issue no one even knows about. Seems like a reasonable level of punishment.

I had a prior commitment I was only able to listen to the game so I'm not the best person to speak on how the game went but sounds like we played a 2-3 zone most of the game dan probably didn't want to show any type of "havoc" type defense we may play. We were up by 19 with around 6 minutes or so left and basically just the freshman played the last 7 minutes. DAP was his usual self will be improved from last year, PLee is going to make another jump in his play this year should be one of top point guards in valley, Banyard had 14 boards. Gunna be a really tough test @san Diego state Friday tho.

The game wasn't as close as the score.
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby hot nuts » November 9th, 2015, 10:55 am

I went to the Redbird game yesterday and was underwhelmed by the Bird's performance. It was almost like they aren't ready for the game speed, even against a D2 opponent. I was hoping they'd look better after the summer European games...hope they come together quickly but not holding my breath going into a tough November schedule.
hot nuts
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball