Exhibitions, etc.

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Exhibitions, etc.

Postby BCPanther » November 9th, 2015, 12:35 pm

UNI played Wisconsin in a secret scrimmage on Saturday in Dubuque.

The teams played two 30 minute 'games'. Wisconsin won both, the first by 6 and the second by 8. UNI led by as many as 8 in both contests, but couldn't hold leads.

Washpun had a really good day taking the ball to the basket and was a hard guard for Wisconsin.

Koch, Friedman, and Carlson all held their own and Bennett Koch was effective offensively. UNI was only outrebounded by 1.

Paul Jesperson was a full participant after only practicing for 3 days and missing the exhibition game with a foot injury. He's full go from here on.

Luke McDonnell was the only true freshman to play. No decisions on him redshirting yet, but the other three (Dahl, Haldeman, Conrey) will all redshirt which isn't a big surprise.

Really, really encouraging.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Born2Shock » November 9th, 2015, 12:49 pm

BCPanther wrote:UNI played Wisconsin in a secret scrimmage on Saturday in Dubuque.

The teams played two 30 minute 'games'. Wisconsin won both, the first by 6 and the second by 8. UNI led by as many as 8 in both contests, but couldn't hold leads.

Washpun had a really good day taking the ball to the basket and was a hard guard for Wisconsin.

Koch, Friedman, and Carlson all held their own and Bennett Koch was effective offensively. UNI was only outrebounded by 1.

Paul Jesperson was a full participant after only practicing for 3 days and missing the exhibition game with a foot injury. He's full go from here on.

Luke McDonnell was the only true freshman to play. No decisions on him redshirting yet, but the other three (Dahl, Haldeman, Conrey) will all redshirt which isn't a big surprise.

Has Washpun learned to go right yet? If he has, he will indeed be a tough guard.
Born2Shock
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BirdFan50 » November 9th, 2015, 1:11 pm

Rollbird5 wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:I don't get the hate for a weak suspension on an internal issue no one even knows about. Seems like a reasonable level of punishment.

That said, I also don't get how sanctimonious ISU fans are sometimes.

Was that the actual score? Giving up 81 points to anyone isn't great, much less a D2 squad. Did ISU utilize the new pressing style much? Was it effective?

I had a prior commitment I was only able to listen to the game so I'm not the best person to speak on how the game went but sounds like we played a 2-3 zone most of the game dan probably didn't want to show any type of "havoc" type defense we may play. We were up by 19 with around 6 minutes or so left and basically just the freshman played the last 7 minutes. DAP was his usual self will be improved from last year, PLee is going to make another jump in his play this year should be one of top point guards in valley, Banyard had 14 boards. Gunna be a really tough test @san Diego state Friday tho.

I was there. It did look like zone for a lot of the game. I thought the inability to make the free throws could be a concern going forward. I would assume they will be working on that.

I do think Purcell, Lee, and Banyard seem to be the most vocal on the court. I was disappointed Hawkins was not dressed. I would like to have seen him on the court.

All in all, it was an exhibition game. A lot of freshman minutes and Dan put in a number of different lineups. Hopefully it all works itself out and we see this team take care of business in the non-con.
BirdFan50
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby uniftw » November 9th, 2015, 5:04 pm

BCPanther wrote:UNI played Wisconsin in a secret scrimmage on Saturday in Dubuque.

I don't get too excited about anything secret scrimmage related.

Knowing that Koch Friedman and Carlson did well is about the only thing I'll take away from it. That's a nice sign.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PantherSigEp » November 9th, 2015, 5:49 pm

It was announced today that McDonnell will redshirt. Apparently Jacobson likes what he sees in Friedman, Koch and Carlson as our 4/5's (with Jesperson playing some 4 as well I'm sure). In the long run it's definitely an exciting decision and the right one, but I'm a little wary for this year. Then again, there is a reason UNI is paying Jake the big bucks and not me.
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » November 9th, 2015, 10:50 pm

Bradley wins its second exhibition game 84-65 over D2 Saint Joseph's College. St. Joe's won six games last year and isn't a good D2 team but they are better than the last team BU played. Still nice to see a win.

BU shot 56% from the field and 50% from the line. Dutch freshman forward Luke van Bree had 18 points and ten rebounds and didn't miss a shot all night. Center Callum Barker was 5-for-5 for the night and had 13 points in only nine minutes (foul trouble). Sophomore Donte Thomas had 12 points as well.

I think most BU fans are pleasantly surprised with how well the team looked in the exhibition games. The competition wasn't good but Bradley won both games handily. There are nine freshmen on the roster and a couple of them appear to be potentially solid MVC players.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvcfan » November 10th, 2015, 3:49 am

You've got to feel a little better than St. John's following their exhibition.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Born2Shock » November 10th, 2015, 8:23 am

PantherSigEp wrote:It was announced today that McDonnell will redshirt. Apparently Jacobson likes what he sees in Friedman, Koch and Carlson as our 4/5's (with Jesperson playing some 4 as well I'm sure). In the long run it's definitely an exciting decision and the right one, but I'm a little wary for this year. Then again, there is a reason UNI is paying Jake the big bucks and not me.

#4YearPlan
Born2Shock
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BCPanther » November 11th, 2015, 8:16 am

Born2Shock wrote:
PantherSigEp wrote:It was announced today that McDonnell will redshirt. Apparently Jacobson likes what he sees in Friedman, Koch and Carlson as our 4/5's (with Jesperson playing some 4 as well I'm sure). In the long run it's definitely an exciting decision and the right one, but I'm a little wary for this year. Then again, there is a reason UNI is paying Jake the big bucks and not me.

#4YearPlan

I'm not sure if that's supposed to be a dig at UNI or not, because there are 8 other schools in this league that would kill to have the success UNI has had for the last decade.

BTW, UNI is going to be very good and certainly has the opportunity to put itself into at-large discussion with the OOC that's scheduled.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » November 11th, 2015, 9:41 am

BCPanther wrote:
Born2Shock wrote:

#4YearPlan

I'm not sure if that's supposed to be a dig at UNI or not, because there are 8 other schools in this league that would kill to have the success UNI has had for the last decade.

BTW, UNI is going to be very good and certainly has the opportunity to put itself into at-large discussion with the OOC that's scheduled.

It's not a dig, it's just the reality. As you pointed out, there are certainly worse plans (see also; Simmons).
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball