Exhibitions, etc.

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Exhibitions, etc.

Postby mvcfan » November 8th, 2015, 10:14 pm

Championz wrote:Teddy Hawkins was sent a clear message with his disruptions overseas in the summer by sitting out for a 1-game suspension covering the exhibition.

We all know that Muller has the best discipline in the conference and this guarantees that he won't ever do it again.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Aargh » November 8th, 2015, 10:23 pm

UE played 6 guys between 20 and 33 minutes? 33 minutes in an exhibition? What's up with that.

In addition to Marty saying, "I'm going to wear out my starters early in the season", he also said, "I don't have any depth". Neither one of those is a good sign with the new enforcement of fouls this year. Evansville was one of the worst at grabbing and bumping players without the ball off routes. You can't do that this year.

Marty looks like he's doing his best to minimize the results he can get out of the best team he's ever had.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » November 9th, 2015, 9:18 am

mvcfan wrote:
Championz wrote:Teddy Hawkins was sent a clear message with his disruptions overseas in the summer by sitting out for a 1-game suspension covering the exhibition.

We all know that Muller has the best discipline in the conference and this guarantees that he won't ever do it again.

I don't get the hate for a weak suspension on an internal issue no one even knows about. Seems like a reasonable level of punishment.

That said, I also don't get how sanctimonious ISU fans are sometimes.

Was that the actual score? Giving up 81 points to anyone isn't great, much less a D2 squad. Did ISU utilize the new pressing style much? Was it effective?
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Rollbird5 » November 9th, 2015, 9:51 am

Cdizzle wrote:I don't get the hate for a weak suspension on an internal issue no one even knows about. Seems like a reasonable level of punishment.

Was that the actual score? Giving up 81 points to anyone isn't great, much less a D2 squad. Did ISU utilize the new pressing style much? Was it effective?

I had a prior commitment I was only able to listen to the game so I'm not the best person to speak on how the game went but sounds like we played a 2-3 zone most of the game dan probably didn't want to show any type of "havoc" type defense we may play. We were up by 19 with around 6 minutes or so left and basically just the freshman played the last 7 minutes. DAP was his usual self will be improved from last year, PLee is going to make another jump in his play this year should be one of top point guards in valley, Banyard had 14 boards. Gunna be a really tough test @san Diego state Friday tho.
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » November 9th, 2015, 10:06 am

Bradley nixed the ESPN3 stuff for exhibitions.

Ball State played two "secret" scrimmages so there were no scouting opportunities so Bradley didn't want to give Ball State (Friday's opener) a chance to see Bradley play before the season.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » November 9th, 2015, 10:31 am

Aargh wrote:UE played 6 guys between 20 and 33 minutes? 33 minutes in an exhibition? What's up with that.

In addition to Marty saying, "I'm going to wear out my starters early in the season", he also said, "I don't have any depth". Neither one of those is a good sign with the new enforcement of fouls this year. Evansville was one of the worst at grabbing and bumping players without the ball off routes. You can't do that this year.

Marty looks like he's doing his best to minimize the results he can get out of the best team he's ever had.

:+1:
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ACECARD » November 9th, 2015, 10:37 am

Rollbird5 wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:I don't get the hate for a weak suspension on an internal issue no one even knows about. Seems like a reasonable level of punishment.

I had a prior commitment I was only able to listen to the game so I'm not the best person to speak on how the game went but sounds like we played a 2-3 zone most of the game dan probably didn't want to show any type of "havoc" type defense we may play. We were up by 19 with around 6 minutes or so left and basically just the freshman played the last 7 minutes. DAP was his usual self will be improved from last year, PLee is going to make another jump in his play this year should be one of top point guards in valley, Banyard had 14 boards. Gunna be a really tough test @san Diego state Friday tho.

The game wasn't as close as the score.
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby hot nuts » November 9th, 2015, 10:55 am

I went to the Redbird game yesterday and was underwhelmed by the Bird's performance. It was almost like they aren't ready for the game speed, even against a D2 opponent. I was hoping they'd look better after the summer European games...hope they come together quickly but not holding my breath going into a tough November schedule.
hot nuts
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » November 9th, 2015, 11:48 am

mvcfan wrote:

Must have been pretty bad to get that suspension.

It matches the suspension that Knight got for pleading guilty to midemeanor battery and resisting arrest - by accepting the plea his felong aggravated battery was dropped....oh...he beat the s*** out of a woman in this case.

The next year they brought in DAP who who was arrested for aggravated batter (bodily harm), robber, and theft http://mugshots.com/US-Counties/Florida ... 14388.html

ISU has a thing for reinstating a player as soon as they plead guilty to crimes. The exact same situation played out when their best football player was suspended during the preseason for being arrested for felony selling of drugs. 11 days later he plead guilty and was immediately reinstated to the team.

So, Teddy must have done something pretty bad to even get that suspension.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » November 9th, 2015, 12:26 pm

uniftw wrote:
mvcfan wrote:

Must have been pretty bad to get that suspension.

It matches the suspension that Knight got for pleading guilty to midemeanor battery and resisting arrest - by accepting the plea his felong aggravated battery was dropped....oh...he beat the s*** out of a woman in this case.

The next year they brought in DAP who who was arrested for aggravated batter (bodily harm), robber, and theft http://mugshots.com/US-Counties/Florida ... 14388.html

ISU has a thing for reinstating a player as soon as they plead guilty to crimes. The exact same situation played out when their best football player was suspended during the preseason for being arrested for felony selling of drugs. 11 days later he plead guilty and was immediately reinstated to the team.

So, Teddy must have done something pretty bad to even get that suspension.

Yep. I've kindof given up on the throwing stones thing, what with glass houses and all. Knuckleheads find there way into all programs. Sometimes even non-knuckleheaded 20-year-olds do stupid crap. But in giving up on the throwing stones thing, I've also lost all patience for sanctimonious fans of non-perfect programs.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball