Exhibitions, etc.

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Exhibitions, etc.

Postby BEARZ77 » November 8th, 2015, 9:13 am

Bears win 88-62 over William Jewel. Some good, bad, and ugly. Cam Boone went for 19pts and 7 rbs in 20 minutes, new pg Daquon Miller had 10pts and 5 assists, Kendrix had 10pts 4 stls, and frosh Dixon 9pts 5rbs/ Church 7pts 5rbs. Juco post Martin had 10pts and 8 rbs and played well. Ruder coming back from surgery played limited minutes but hit 2/3 treys, and 6'11 Tyler McCullough still not ready to play.
When McCullough is ready the frontline will be much improved with the 6'6 trimmer but still very strong Boone, 6'7 uber-athletic Church, and 6'8 Martin. Perimeter needs another scorer/shooter , but Miller/Dixon/Kendrix/Ruder will have to make it work along with senior Williams.

Bears had 13 steals and forced 22 turnovers vs just 9 to's. Ran a little more than in the past, but still had some major breakdowns defensively to work on. Newcomers did account for a lot of minutes and production though.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby isumvc1 » November 8th, 2015, 9:50 am

Valleyball wrote:Hmmm, what is happening with the ESPN3 deal? It seems to be a trend. Bradley was supposed to be on and wasn't either.
Is it the schools dropping the ball? Or ESPN. Have we been scammed? Glad I live locally, at least I can go watch BU get pummeled this year.

In Indiana State's case with ESPN3, we can only broadcast one event per day on espn3, we just don't have the ability to do more than one event. So this weekend our VB games were on espn3, which meant our men's and women's BB games were not on espn3. They play in different venues.

Our women's VB home season is done, so all the broadcast equipment for ESPN3 broadcasts will be moved to Hulman Center, so from here on out all our home women's and men's BB games should be on ESPN3
isumvc1
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Tom Servo » November 8th, 2015, 12:21 pm

Wufan wrote:
I was disappointed (but not surprised) to learn that Simmons and Wing both started and that Mislav and Wiley came off the bench. Still, too much talent in Evansville to finish below 4th.

Most people I've talked to who follow the Aces agree. And until he starts putting the more talented guys out there it's the same team as last year and it will be the same results. In defense of Wing though, he looked better. For him it's all about taking shots and not hesitating. If he takes open shots he can really help the Aces. He just can't play the 4 at his size, he's too small.
Go Aces!
Tom Servo
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby ACECARD » November 8th, 2015, 12:34 pm

shockem wrote:
ACECARD wrote:
COUTEAU wrote:Wabash ....65
ACES........95

DJ, EMO, Mislav, Blake, & Wing all in double figures
EMO another double double
Harris Brown Harris Brown Harris Brown

Harris Brown will be the next Colt, and DJ. He sure doesn't look like a freshman. He took 3 shots from the field, and two free throws, in 13 minutes in the second half. He has yet to miss a shot this season. Made two or three eye popping passes. If he gets the minutes, he will be in the running for FOY. If he doesn't get the minutes, Marty should be replaced on the spot.

Glad to see Marty found a player, but if Harris is used like DJ and Colt, that means 4 more years of mediocrity. You can't win running one guy through 15 screens night in and night out.

I don't mean to say that Marty will use Harris in the same way that he has used Colt, and DJ, and I hope that he does not. I don't know how he will be used. I look at him as a Van Vleet type of player who can shoot the 3, but also can drive to the basket, and FINISH a shot, and get you 20 points if he has too. He's only 5'11" so he will be challenged defensively, but he is a pure shooter, and really provides a spark when he comes into the game. He got 3 baskets yesterday, and 2 free throws in 13 minutes, and he didn't come off any screens to get them. Of course the Aces were not playing Valley type opposition either.
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Championz » November 8th, 2015, 7:34 pm

Well since Redbird fans can't provide any meaningful info to the site, I'll go ahead and let everyone know that Illinois State whipped Southern Indiana 88-81. Teddy Hawkins was sent a clear message with his disruptions overseas in the summer by sitting out for a 1-game suspension covering the exhibition.
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Rollbird5 » November 8th, 2015, 7:41 pm

Championz wrote:Well since Redbird fans can't provide any meaningful info to the site

Looks like us redbird fans and you have have something in common then
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Championz » November 8th, 2015, 7:56 pm

Rollbird5 wrote:Looks like us redbird fans and you have have something in common then

You mad? :cry:

I provided an exhibition score to the exhibition thread. You quoted me about something irrelevant.

Point made. Thanks.
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Postby stl scooter » November 8th, 2015, 8:43 pm

Wufan wrote:I was disappointed (but not surprised) to learn that Simmons and Wing both started and that Mislav and Wiley came off the bench. Still, too much talent in Evansville to finish below 4th.

I'm not too worried about who started. Blake had 25 mins, Wing 24, Mislav 20, Willie 10. They all bring different qualities to the team and I'm sure the minutes will even out as the season goes forward.
The preceding lesson in basketball is free of charge.
stl scooter
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Shockerfan13 » November 8th, 2015, 8:52 pm

Championz wrote:Well since Redbird fans can't provide any meaningful info to the site, I'll go ahead and let everyone know that Illinois State whipped Southern Indiana 88-81. Teddy Hawkins was sent a clear message with his disruptions overseas in the summer by sitting out for a 1-game suspension covering the exhibition.

But haven't you heard? Muller didn't want to "show to much" in the exhibition game. He was holding his secret weapons back, that is what it was....
Shockerfan13
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » November 8th, 2015, 9:39 pm

stl scooter wrote:
Wufan wrote:I was disappointed (but not surprised) to learn that Simmons and Wing both started and that Mislav and Wiley came off the bench. Still, too much talent in Evansville to finish below 4th.

I'm not too worried about who started. Blake had 25 mins, Wing 24, Mislav 20, Willie 10. They all bring different qualities to the team and I'm sure the minutes will even out as the season goes forward.

Simmons and Wing are okay. Personally, I think they are both mediocre at their position, and Simmons isn't a particularly good defender. Playing one of the other with Mislav would seem to make more sense with Simmons preferably getting ~ 15 mpg. I haven't seen Wiley play but he is athletically gifted. I would have thought Marty would want to see him on the floor for more than 10 minutes in an exhibition.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball